TripAdvisor
Cardiff
Post
Inbox
Search

“Breakfast watching rugby world cup!”
Review of Owain Glyndwr

Owain Glyndwr
Ranked #78 of 205 Quick Bites in Cardiff
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Come and visit the Owain Glyndwr. The Owain Glyndwr is located opposite St John the Baptist Church on the junction where St Johns Street meets Church Street in the centre of Cardiff. We are only 200m from the Millennium Stadium and juat around the corner from Cardiff Castle. With two floors and a separate sports bar, it has the ability to cater for every occasion. With quality food served every day from 9am until 10pm,live bands every Friday and Saturday night. The Owain has earned a reputation as a great place to eat, drink and meet friends in Cardiff. Sport is also a large part of the entertainment, with SKY Sports & BT Sports showing on the 8 plasma screens - the atmosphere on rugby international days is truly unbeatable.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After parking up on North Road for the day, this pub is virtually the first outlet as you walk alongside Bute Park. We had breakfast here while watching the NZ rugby match. The full English was £5.99. Ok for the money except the absolutely cremated bacon. Good coffee served by nice staff. The vege breakfast, £4.99, was a good plate. Quality of televisions was excellent. I would use this place again if the same set of circumstances were in place.

Date of visit: September 2019
Owain G, General Manager at Owain Glyndwr, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Brian

I am sorry about the cremated bacon. I am working hard with my kitchen team to rectify some of these issues and I am certain that if you were to return it would be a much better visit.

Thank you for the time taken to review us.

Geraint

Write a reviewReviews (322)

Reviewed September 15, 2019 via mobile

We came on Sunday afternoon, the pub wasn’t busy, we asked for a table to be wiped over, our meals were poor, not hot, sinewy steak and just poor overall!
I used to enjoy popping in here but the standards are not what they were.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 27, 2019

Got served by joe who is the best in the pub very helpful and made us feel very welcome great selection off drinks

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Gemma P

Hi

Joe is a bit of a legend and I have passed your comments back to him. Thank you so much for the great review.

Reviewed August 15, 2019 via mobile

Waited over 1/2 hour for Katsu chicken & gammon egg and chips to arrive. 1st of all the Katsu chicken was fried to death with a curry sauce on top. Nothing like the picture or description on menu. Then the gammon turned up. Again fried to death. No pineapple as in description. The egg was hard. The onion rings couldn’t cut into them. Too pricy for not a very nice meal. Medium wine came back and looked like 1 mouthful. Won’t be calling here again

Date of visit: August 2019

Hi Clare

Thanks so much for the review. I am working hard with my kitchen team to iron out some of these problems. Unfortunately I think my team just had a bad day on your visit. I am really sorry that it wasn't up to scratch and I promise that if you do return it will be much better.

Thanks

Reviewed July 21, 2019

great selection of drinks and tasty food, fab venue in the city centre and easy to find. Fab atmosphere and will defo come back x

Date of visit: July 2019
Owain G, General Manager at Owain Glyndwr, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2019

Hi

Thanks so much for the great review. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.