The wife likes to go shopping in Cardiff 2 or 3 times a year so we usually have a nights stop over. We have been working our way through the 4* Cardiff hotels and this weekend was the turn of the Mercure. It was not the cheapest we stayed in and the deal we got (through ebookers) using an airmiles rewards scheme equated to £139 for one night in a standard room without breakfast. First impressions were good with welcoming reception staff and plenty of room in the underground car park (£12 per night). Standard room - on 8th floor (room 809) at the rear of hotel had pleasant view looking out to the bay and Bristol Channel. It was also very quiet. Room was nice and clean but spoilt a little by a 'tired' shower cubicle and wonky toilet seat.
We could not get the TV to work and mentioned this to reception twice but got the impression it was not their top priority as the hotel was very busy with a large black tie ball taking place.
The spa and gym were very good and we had 2 sessions during our stay. The Jacuzzi was out of action in the morning for cleaning purposes which seemed a bit daft to me and should have been done out of hours?
Bar was very pleasant, spacious and prices reasonable for a hotel. Did not eat at hotel so cannot comment on standard of food.
Check out was quick and efficient and again I mentioned our disappointment at having no TV during the stay. Receptionist was apologetic and stated it should have been sorted out but nothing more? It would have been a nice gesture if he had waived the parking charge but there we go...!
If it wasn't for the silly things I mentioned it would have been our first choice when we return to Cardiff - maybe it still will be?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 4 star luxury hotel in the centre of Cardiff, 15 min walk from Cardiff Central railway and bus station and a 30 min drive from Cardiff International Airport. The hotel features 165 en suite rooms, the award winning First Floor restaurant, a stylish bar as well as a luxury leisure club and spa. 15 meeting rooms and function suites suitable for hosting conferences, events and weddings. Fibre Optic WiFi internet access. Underground parking available at the hotel at GBP 12.00 per 24 hours (subject to availability). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Holland House Cardiff Hotel Cardiff
- Mercure Holland Hotel Cardiff
- Accor Holland Hotel Cardiff
- Holland House Hotel Cardiff
- Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel And Spa Wales