“Could do better”

Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Arrival, excellent, very warm welcome and lots if encouragement to visit City, which we knew anyway. Booked in later, again a warm and friendly member of staff. So, to room, 717. Nice dormer plot with roof top views of city. Tired fittings and decor.Bathroom door in need of tlc. 1.25 rolls of tissue!!hmmm, just about enough, no obvious way of asking for more. Room cold but reverse air con got it going. Bed, great. Bath....lovely, sink...plug not open enough.ZZZ..noise, no problem. Pool, Steam Sauna etc, Pool was unlit at one end so dangerous for lengths. Steam room, not that good. Changing was OK.
Breakfast, good. Toast machine....pathetic as per norm in hotels. Check out, good but expensive, £14.0o for 24hrs.
Easy walk to city. Food and wine listed were avoided as VERY expensive. Ambience...passable, piped music in car park, nothing in foyer!!

Room Tip: No tips for room choice based on our experience.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the hotel. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,672)

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Within walking distance of Central Cardiff, this new hotel provides everything you could wish for. Plush, carpeted floors, excellent roomy restaurant and excellent service. There is also an afternoon tea service available from 1pm and this is substantial enough to do as a lunch, with sandwiches, scones with loads of cream, small cakes and some fresh fruit. Parking in the centre of Cardiff is expensive (£5 for 3 hours at least) so you can leave your car and walk.

Room Tip: The hotel is situated on the busy Newport road; although Cardiff at night may look attractive to som...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gynaeman
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed our afternoon tea at the hotel, this is very popular at the hotel.

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights just before Christmas as the Company Do was in the hotel. The room was so spacious, clean and comfy. The view was spectacular over the City. We were even allowed to take our small dog, which they made very welcome! The only gripe I would have is that I booked a Pedicure - charged me £22 and only painted my toe-nails - no foot-soak, rub or anything - very expensive for something I could have done myself!!!!! The pool was OK, I found it a little dark - no personal cubicles to get changed in - something I prefer. Apart from the Spa aspect - everything else was superb, even the 'Do' in the evening. Will definitely be staying again when in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay and party here. I have passed on your feedback to the Spa Manager and we are currently looking into this.

Thank you for your comments and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

7th floor corner room, with fantastic views - nature threw in some high winds which made it exciting.

I booked in around 5pm but was not allowed a dinner reservation until 8pm as the dining room was busy, according to the Reception. Not funny after a long day - and a waste of the prepaid meal as I had to forgo starter and desert if I wanted to sleep, due to digestive troubles.

Nice hospitality tray? well,at breakfast, despite the assurance that 'somebody will take your order for tea or coffee' , that somebody did not. Nobody came within hailing distance - I did see a young woman and, later, a man, rushing past with various items to be stored on the other side of the room, but neither offered any guest a drink. There was a pump jug of water and a selection of herbal teas on the buffet, but it's not tea unless the water's boiling in my world. Thank goodness for the tray in the room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Divadarling

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear your feedback regarding the restaurant and I have passed this onto the Restaurant Manager.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night (the night of his birthday) and I had when booking, I requested a 'little something to make him feel special'- perhaps that explains why we got a corner room on the 14th floor- the view was spectacular! The room was spacious and very clean and the bathroom was clean too but one of the toilet rolls was a leftover from the previous occupant and it might as well have been replaced because it had only 2 complete turns of tissue left so I promptly binned it and moved on to the fresh roll. The fridge and coffee tray looked like they needed a lot of cleaning because there were dried-up water marks everywhere which I found that disappointing. We arrived late (around 10.40pm) and we had paid for half board only to be told that the restaurant closes at 10/10.30pm and room service had limited options (soups and sandwiches) which we were uninterested in so one member of staff brought us a menu of a fast-food eatery not far away (any links with the hotel staff???) and we ordered dinner which ended up not being bad at all. Breakfast was very good but the pork sausages were oily. On checking-out, the lady at the reception was very apologetic about the previous night's episode and we weren't charged for dinner :)

Room Tip: Great views from the higher floors!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay. Pleased to hear your feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We requested a quiet room and the room was very quiet. Unfortunately, when we entered the room the duvet looked like it had been made up quickly and thrown on the bed. The shower cubicle had someone else's hairs on the wall and the grouting was black and in need of a good clean up. One of the coffee cups was chipped and had a crack on the inside. We did give it to the receptionist when we checked out and she didn't seem to care. We had deal for our stay and definitely would not pay the proper price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to review your stay. I am very sorry that you encountered problems during your stay, please accept my apologies and I have passed on your feedback to the Head Housekeeper.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We recently stayed here when they advertised a special offer rate £59 per room.Although this price sounds ideal the car parking is on top at approx £16.Which obviously adds to the cost.

The hotel is very nice indeed and only a 5 min walk away from the top end of Queen Street (main shopping street) 15 min walk to Milleneum Staduim and 10 mins from many bars/clubs etc.
The rooms are very spacious and very clean and tidy ours had a nice bath and a seperate shower.

The bar has an happy hour on cocktails every day from 6.30 - 7.30 buy one get one free which seemed decent enough.

The spa was very nice,the only slight draw back was the reception staff seemed to struggle with people checking in/out and it was very slow.

All in all we would definatly stay here again at the offer price but not at the standard rates.

Room Tip: corner rooms seem to be more spacious
1  Thank ccfceuropesNO1
RoomsDivisionHH, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay as we do value all feedback. Apologies that you felt reception were slow on checkout. There are times when reception does get busier in particular close to the checkout time of 12 noon but we do try to ensure that there is adequate staff on every shift in regards to the occupancy ration.

I note your comments regarding the parking, we charge £14 per 24 hours for our parking which is secure in our underground car park. Unfortunately there is limited car parking near to the hotel and we do have an agreement with the local NCP which honours our rate of £14 as opposed to their charges of £16.

I do hope that you we can welcome you back to the hotel again on a return stay.