“Not what I expected”

Pettigrew Tea Rooms
Ranked #28 of 1,214 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Welsh
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Pettigrew Tea Rooms are housed in the beautiful 19th Century West Lodge in the heart of Cardiff. This quintessentially British tea house is open seven days of the week serving, fresh lunches and delicious homemade cakes, all served alongside a wonderful selection of loose leaf teas. Join us for a light lunch or why not sample our full Afternoon Tea in peaceful surroundings, before a stroll through Cardiff's stunning Bute Park. A must for all visitors to the Capital City of Wales.
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

When we first entered, admittedly I was dissapointed, it was like entering someone's living room with some half hearted bunting about the place supposedly making it kitch? However the staff were friendly and courteous. It was busy and being so small, rather intimate and felt a little tight.

The menu offered a variety of teas, coffee and sandwiches. Whilst the cake display was full of tempting treats. We had the traditional cream tea, with a choice of loose teas ranging from traditional to rare herbal infusions. The scones were soft and fresh and perfectly nice and the teas were quality, served in traditional bone china.

I don't think I would be frequenting this place regularly but worth a visit. I am unsure whether is justifies such a highly prized place on tripadvisor but am eager to give it another go in better weather.

• Visited April 2013
PettigrewManager, Owner at Pettigrew Tea Rooms, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your thoughts. This is a 19th Century Gate House and you were sat in the living room having a traditional cream tea, I have never heard anyone use the word kitch to describe it, but then everyone has different taste.

I am glad you found the staff helpful, they are a great bunch who I am very very proud of, particularly when we are busy.

You mentioned that you felt the space was too tight, but I would describe it as "cosy even when seated directly next to other coffee lovers".

I was delighted that you enjoyed the scones we make everything on site fresh every day.

We are very flattered to be so highly rated on TripAdvisor it is absolutely nothing that we have intentionally courted, we aim to be provide a relaxed, fun place to take tea and that seems to be what most people enjoy when here.

Perhaps we will see you again, at least you know what to expect next time.

David & team

“Gorgeous food & great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

My 3rd visit to pettigrew & yet again it was amazing! We reserved a table upstairs by the window & the view was lovely. Afternoon Tea tasted amazing & our waitress 'Steph' was very friendly & helpful!

• Visited April 2013
Steph is just one of the many stars here who I am very very proud of. Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and stop by for Afternoon Tea. See you next time. David & team
“Not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Nice setting and friendly swift service but the cake I had was so sweet I couldn't eat it.
Nearly £5 for a cup of tea and a piece of cake? Probably wouldn't go back.

• Visited April 2013
PettigrewManager, Owner at Pettigrew Tea Rooms, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your thoughts Anne. A slice of home made cake and a large pot of loose leaf tea for under £5 was one of my founding pledges, that I am most proud of delivering. Over half of our home made cakes are priced at £2.25 or less, but it seems you were lured by one of the sweet treats elsewhere in the cabinet. I should thank you for rating us 5* for service though, so thanks for that.
“High tea in the park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Took my elderly Mum out with my husband for afternoon tea today. Service was wonderful and the food divine. Just as it should be.. Beautifully done and the ambiance is excellent.

• Visited April 2013
It is always a pleasure to receive such lovely feedback. Thank you it makes all the hard work thoroughly worth the while. Delighted that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea. Come back and see us again next time you are in town. All the best, David & team
UK
“Well worth the rave reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We decided to try this place for lunch on the back of it's TripAdvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. The soup and ploughman's were excellent and great value, and the home-made cakes were all tempting and the ones we tried were delicious. For a city centre cafe, it's also not expensive and, although we didn't have tea this time, the tea selection looked good and second only to the Waterloo Tea Gardens in Roath. The cafe is small so you may need to wait for a table at the weekend, but it's certainly worth the wait and the service was top notch too. A little gem.

Visited April 2013
Thank you for the kind words. The soup and sandwich is extremely popular for lunch, particularly after all this cold weather we have had. It is important that people feel they have had real value for money when coming to us, whether dropping in for lunch, Afternoon Tea or simply a slice of cake and a cuppa. Thank you again and see you soon. David & team