“Simple, Honest and Homemade food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pettigrew Tea Rooms

Pettigrew Tea Rooms
Ranked #25 of 1,210 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Welsh
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Pettigrew Tea Rooms are housed in the beautiful 19th Century West Lodge in the heart of Cardiff. This quintessentially British tea house is open seven days of the week serving, fresh lunches and delicious homemade cakes, all served alongside a wonderful selection of loose leaf teas. Join us for a light lunch or why not sample our full Afternoon Tea in peaceful surroundings, before a stroll through Cardiff's stunning Bute Park. A must for all visitors to the Capital City of Wales.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Simple, Honest and Homemade food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently visited Pettigrew for the first time and had a lovely experience. We ordered a range of food - soups, sandwiches and cakes and everything was beautiful! We will be definitely returning to experience a different flavour soup and some more scrumptious carrot cake!!
Thank you for a lovely experience.

1 Thank FSnob
PettigrewManager, Owner at Pettigrew Tea Rooms, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for the kind feedback. We celebrated our first birthday this weekend and are all over the moon that we have made it to number on TripAdvisor for restaurants in Cardiff. So exciting for a little Tea Room! See you again soon for some more of that Carrot Cake. David & team

“A little tasty treasure.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

This place is a real gem! Went for the first time a week ago to celebrate my birthday with a cream tea:).
Staff are very accommodating and made my daughter a sandwich that wasn't featured on the menu.
The atmosphere is great and food very high quality, so thought it was well priced. Will defo be back for more!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
PettigrewManager, Owner at Pettigrew Tea Rooms, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Glad that you enjoyed your birthday and picked us to celebrate it with! We work hard to ensure that our menu is simple, fresh, tasty and most of all good value. It is so lovely to read that you had such a great time. Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts. See you next time. David & team
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An Alternative Review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Whilst on holiday in Cardiff, I did some research to look for a few nice places to eat and as a TripAdviser reviewer, naturally I headed here. I choose to visit the Pettigrew Tea Rooms on the strength of the reviews and the 97% recommendation rate. My visit is a stark contrast to the plethora of 4 and 5 star reviews for a variety of reasons.

The venue is in the old gatehouse at the entrance to Bute Park, right next to the castle and oozes an old world kind of charm. The decor, music and eclectic mix of china plates add to the notion of stepping back in time to a world of afternoon teas.

The staff were very friendly and we received a warm welcome. We arrived at lunchtime and decided we wanted something more substantial than just tea and cakes. The menu is rather limited to cakes, sandwiches and salads. My mum opted for the soup and a sandwich combo and I ordered the pate. We only waited a short time for our food to served but unfortunately our order was wrong. Again the staff were very accommodating and swiftly returned to the kitchen to correct our order. Again we only waited a short time for this to be rectified and the staff were very apologetic.

The soup was served in a big bowl but my mum didn't find it that tasty. The sandwiches were cheese and tomato which were fine. It came served with a large salad which didn't have any dressing.

My pate was served with toast points and again a large salad. The pate was fish pate which I would not have order if this had been stated on the menu. Overall the both of us found the meal to be ok - certainly not what I had expected after reading the reviews.

We opted to have a cake each as it stated the home baking was worth the visit and to ensure we didn't miss out on what people were raving about. The cake cabinet looked very tempting with 10 different types on display. My mum opted for a Welsh cake and I had a slice of banana and pecan cake. Now both my mum and I are very partial to afternoon teas and home baking but the cakes we chose were very disappointing. I even left half of my cake (which is unheard of), which I found to be tasteless and rather soggy.

The serving staff were very attentive and gave us 10% off our bill for the mix up in our order too but overall we are at a loss to understand the high rating. As my title says it is an alternative review to what most people have said. Anyway, lovely staff and nice surroundings but the food really let the experience down. I won't be returning here on my next visit to Cardiff.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lindsey M
Gosh! Thank you for giving us such detailed feedback and sorry that we muddled up your breads. I remember your visit last week it was a cold day but a busy lunch time for us. I was pleased that you had a warm welcome. We work hard as a team to make everyone feel as welcome as possible and deliver attentive service.

We make our Soups and Cawl fresh every day using local vegetables from our Fruit & Veg man so we do experiment. The good news there, is that no soup is ever the same and if you ever fancy tasting some first just let us know.

Our salads always come with a homemade honey mustard dressing which can be left on or off, that bit really is up to you to decide.

I was sorry to read that the homemade Pate wasn't to your taste. We currently have the smoked mackerel spiced with lime and a little garlic. The menu does prompt you to ask your server for our Pate of the day. It is a fine line for us between being attentive and bombarding you with information.

The gluten free banana cake is one of my favourites, maybe you hadn't spotted that this cake was part of our gluten free range and were expecting a more traditional sponge texture? if you do get the chance to come back perhaps try out one of the other cakes.

Thanks for taking the time to feedback. David & team
“Yummy gluten free "cake away"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Arrived here on a cold Saturday afternoon hoping for some respite. Unfortunately there wasn't any space for us to eat in (next time I'll definitely book, it looked so lovely!). We were greeted by a really helpful member of staff who suggested a time we could pop back later, or the take away option- once we'd seen the cake we couldn't not do it! I'm gluten free and the chocolate and almond cake was delicious! I can't wait to go back tk Cardiff and sample and full afternoon tea!

2 Thank gf_flipflop
Glad you enjoyed your takeaway sorry we couldn't find you a seat. Give us a call in advance and book in for Afternoon Tea to make sure you get the time you want. See you soon. David & team.
Stamford, Connecticut
“Overall a quality place for tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife, daughter and I visied the shop a few days ago. Our reservation was there when we arrived and the staff provided friendly and efficient service. The staff is working hard so they don't have a lot of time for lengthy conversation but they make you feel comfortable in very way. We each had the afternoon tea complete with scones, sandwiches and pastries. The scones were better than the ones we had at Fortum & Mason in London. This was a highlight to a great day which started at the Castle (about a 5 minute walk) and ended at the Doctor Who exhibit.

1 Thank Peli33
Scones better than Fortnum & Mason now that is a headline! Thank you so so much for the feedback. Delighted that you enjoyed visit. Look forward to seeing you again in the future. Many thanks. David & team