“Fabulous food and friendly staff.”

New House Country Hotel
Ranked #3 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff
“Fabulous food and friendly staff.”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Our children bought us dinner and a night in the hotel for our 30th wedding anniversary. We stayed in the Countess Suite which was based on a Chinese theme with a huge canopied bed. The view over Cardiff was breathtaking by night and even better the following morning. The restaurant menu had a good selection and the food was superb. The service was very friendly and although the restaurant was quiet that evening there was a wonderfully calm and warm atmosphere prevailing. The breakfast menu was wide and varied and the service was once again friendly. There were some regular couples there who go two or three times a year and the staff remembered them and gave them a warm send off saying that they would see them again soon and even a hug. It almost seemed a home from home. Now that we know how good it is I think that we may make it a regular venue too. Congratulations to the staff and management!

Stayed December 2013
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay at the hotel, and I am glad you enjoyed it! We do have alot of regular guests who return to us time and time again, we like to make our guests feel at home. I do hope you will be back to see us soon.

Happy New Year

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Took a party of twenty friends to a Bond Themed Christmas Murder Mystery Evening on December 12th. Did not really know what to expect but expectations were certainly exceeded. We had an excellent meal made up of a choice of three starters, three mains and three puddings. Then coffee and mince pies to finish. All guests were happy with their selections. My Ham Hock terrine, Turkey & All The Trimmings Dinner then cheese selection was excellent. Service was good with no long waits but just the right spacing between courses.
The Four Actors doing the "Murder Experience" were very good. Nice balance between drama and comedy. They stayed in character doing acts between the courses then each moving around the various tables giving clues etc. The plot was a little complicated as was the selection process of who did the murder and which table actually won the champagne. But it hardly mattered as a good time was had by all.
Then it was a middle of the road disco playing the right music for the predominantly 40+ guests.
At £37.50 pp just about spot on the money for good value without being too expensive.
Well done New House a super evening, ticked all boxes and enjoyed by all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer

I am so glad you enjoyed your Christmas party night at the hotel, did you guess who dunnit?

I hope to see you again in the future.

Happy New Year
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Attended for a Christmas dinner/disco which was held in a marquee at the rear of the hotel with its own entrance and driveway.

The room was beautifully decorated with Christmassy items and the tables well arranged. We went with our next door neighbours so had a table for four.

There was a set menu which contained three or four choices each for starters, mains and dessert. I had the winter vegetable soup (which was piping hot), salmon and Christmas pudding. The meals were served very quickly to each table and were hot. The service was excellent from the mainly young waiting staff.

After the meal there was tea/coffee plus miniature mince pies.

The disco played a mix of 60s and 70s music with a few modern ones as well. Requests were also taken.

All in all, we really enjoyed our evening and were delighted with the quality of the food plus the service. If they do another one next year we will be back!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer

I am glad you enjoyed your Christmas party night with us at The New House. The marquee was refurbished this year and I do think it looks lovely with the Christmas decorations at the moment.

I do hope we will see you for another occasion in the future.
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I booked this after reading the reviews, the gym and i have a loyalty card. I was in the area on business. The hotel is set in lovely grounds and i received a good welcome when i checked in.
The room was very spacious, clean, comfortable bed and well equipped with iron and ironing board.
I had food from the lounge menu which was good value,very filling as well as being tasty.
The gym although small was adequate for cardio exercise and had some dumbells, it is open 24hrs as you can access with room key.
The majority of the staff were friendly, helpful especially Paul ( i hope i got his name right) at breakfast who got my day off to a good start with his sunny disposition, good manners and generally helpful nature. He sat me by the window to over look the lovely views.
My scrambled eggs came exactly as i liked it making it a very enjoyable breakfast indeed.
The only negative was that the lady at reception in the morning at checkout appeared to be in a bad mood and was not friendly and not at all like the other staff i had encountered, this is the reason for the less than excellent rating.
One's experience at checkout is just as important as when one checks in.
Having said that i will stay here again if i am in the area and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay, both the good and the not so good, it is only with these comments we can improve our service for guests.

I do hope we will see you again the future for another enjoyable stay.
Cheadle, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have stayed many times at The New House Hotel, usually with my father, when we are visiting family in nearby Llanishen and Rhiwbina. Every stay has been wonderful.
We have always needed a ground floor room as my father is unable to walk up/down stairs (no lift). Our request has always been accommodated by the staff. The staff are always polite, friendly and very helpful, going out of their way to ensure we have everything we need. There are very good provisions for anyone who is disabled - parking near the entrance. Flat access and ramp up to the sitting area and restaurants/bar area. Disabled toilet on ground floor. The ground floor bedrooms are spacious and would easily accommodate anyone in a wheelchair. The shower is over the bath so this may be difficult for some guests. Excellent choice of breakfast each day in the restaurant,very good quality ingredients .
The view over Cardiff are fantastic.
I have no hesitation in highly recommending The New House Hotel. I know I will be returning many times in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely. Beautiful views over Cardiff.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Reviewer

I am so glad you choose the New House when you come to visit your family and you enjoy your stay. We pride ourselves in using Welsh local produce and am happy you enjoy this produce for your breakfast.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Portsmouth
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just spent three nights at the hotel. Booking in very effective , allocated the Lewis room which was outstanding from my wife and my point of view, very spacious and comfortable. Had dinner in the hotel on two occasions. Very efficient service and excellent food. On the second evening there was also a dinner party of 30 in the restaurant . However, the hotel staff treated us as individuals and we received quick and prompt service during our meal. A credit to the serving staff. Try and take a window seat for breakfast it is breath taking. We hope to return in the Summer when hopefully we can take advantage of sitting outside and take in the ambiance . Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel and were comfortabale in Lewis.

I do hope you will visit us again in the future