“Such a pity!”

Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Such a pity!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

A lovely hotel in a super location, but don't go there at weekends!
The hotel entertains large wedding parties and, does not supervise/manage the rowdy guests during the evening/night.
They should separate such parties, placing them at opposite ends of the premises or, failing that, offer substantial discounts to those who will tolerate the disturbance/inconvenience.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris B
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank for taking the time to leave us your feedback, it is only with valuable feedback both the good and the not so good that we can further improve the services we offer to our guests.

I am sorry to hear that you encountered some disturbances from other guests present in the hotel during your stay, the hotel as you quite rightly said does host weddings and other functions at weekends and this is clearly informed to all guests online and on booking confirmation so guests are aware prior to booking that this is the case.

No other guests however should be allowed to cause a disturbance that affects your stay in the hotel, which is why we have staff on duty 24 hours a day to ensure that any issues reported are dealt with to ensure a positive guest experience. Since you’re feedback we are currently reviewing training with the front of house team and duty management team on dealing with such incidents so should a matter arise again we are best prepared to manage it.

Thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Spent a lovely weekend here for a school reunion. There is no lift in the hotel and I was up on the second floor. My case was heavy and was asked if i wanted help at reception and this was quickly found. The room was in the eaves, i expect where the servants once lived when it was a Country house. There was a low window/door which opened out on to a decked balcony which offered a view as far as the Bristol Channel. The grounds were lovely with spectacular views across the Bay.
There was no bathrobe in my room but on mentioning this at reception, one was duly placed in my room for when i returned. No slippers were present however as mentioned on the website. The room was a little chilly early morning and unfortunately, i think the radiator needed attention as it was hot only at the bottom but it was such a hectic weekend, I forgot to mention it at reception until, on checking out, i was asked if everything was alright with my stay. i then decided to mention it for the sake of future guests.
All in all, a wonderful stay, breakfast was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I would certainly visit again and would recommend this hotel to my best friend

Room Tip: if you don't want a high floor room, ask for this when booking
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the hotel and I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Found this hotel through the BESTWESTERN website and it was a reasonable room rate for a medium size hotel just outside Cardiff. I was travelling with 2 colleagues and all we were looking for was a good comfortable room, bed and a nice dinner.

I really enjoyed the dinner as did my colleagues with unusual dishes such as fried soft shell crab for starters and a fantastic lemon Sole (unboned). I also enjoyed the breakfast menu which you have to ask for as they were not out on the table. Apart from the traditional Welsh Breakfast, I can recommend the Eggs Benedict which was one of the best I have ever had.

The rooms we booked (Queen bed, garden facing) were of a good size and nice spacious bathrooms, modern TV, tea and kettle and ironing board and iron. Very clean and bright.

However two of the crowning features were the staff and the view. We arrived on a cloudy, misty night in April and were dealt with promptly on check in by a friendly lady who was happy to make a dinner reservation and just made us feel welcome as we were her personal guests. The idyllic welcome of a country house residence. However by the morning the rain cleared and as we stepped out of the main entrance – WOW – what a view looking over Cardiff Bay to the sea. I wished I was on holiday rather than heading to our first business appointment.

I have no negatives about the hotel only little things which I would love to change. It is one of the few hotels I have stayed in that still use a sheet and blanket. I much prefer a duvet. I stopped using a sheet on my own bed in 1982 .Unless in a blinding hot climate, I have always found hotels use duvets. Finally I am sure that with the right knowledge, I can get the curtains in room 20 to actually block out the light completely. Every time I moved one, the other side just opened by a small gap. It was funny rather than annoying.

I am glad to have had the pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at the hotel, and you certainly cannot beat that view in Cardiff. We have actually planned to change over to duvets in the near future, so please visit us again and stay in comfort.
United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Beautiful hotel, fabulous view. Helpful friendly staff, good food for the most part. The phone in my room didn't work so had to walk down to reception to order room service - hardly a problem but irritating as I told them the evening I arrived for a two night stay and the fault wasn't looked at. Also the breakfast on day one was lovely, freshly cooked, plenty of choice, very enjoyable but on day two [a Friday] there was a self service breakfast which was not fresh at all, rubbery scrambled eggs, cold bacon etc. Extremely disappointing.
As an aside, if you are using satnav be aware that there is a separate postcode to get to the hotel. My room was booked via an agency and I wasn't aware of the problem so ended up in a series of very narrow lanes which got there only eventually.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Liz E
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review on the hotel, I am sorry to hear you encountered some problems whilst staying at the hotel, it is only with these reviews we can try and improve our service for future guests. I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was a really great hotel. The room was very impressive and much larger than the average hotel room - loads of character. The bathroom was also amazing with great facilities! You really do feel at home. We stayed in a room with a balcony/terrace which showed off nice views of Cardiff. If it had been Summer when we'd visited you could imagine having a a glass or two outside.

The food was amazing! You could just go to the restaurant to eat if you were looking for a nice restaurant in the area. Great for a romantic dinner - small restaurant so you are never one of many in there. Couldn't fault the whole experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason S
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the hotel, it is with these encouraging words we continue to strive to provide the service you received. We hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.
South Wales UK
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked 5 rooms for the Saturday of the Wales V England rugby...the only hotel in Cardiff prepared to take a one night booking...all of the chains in town wanted a minimum of two night stay and were charging way over the top prices.
New House Country offers a variety of different bedrooms, all extremely large with exceptionally spacious bathrooms. The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble... returning to the hotel around midnight we were able to order drinks and sandwiches which were served speedily and very well presented at a sensible cost..
Breakfast offered a variety of foods again well presented and very appetising.
The views from the hotel are stunning looking right across Cardiff and out to sea.Definately take a camera and sit out on the terraces enjoying the scenery and peaceful location.
I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone attending an event in Cardiff as a taxi fare into town is only £12.00 ...much cheaper than having to book the minimum two stay the hotels in the centre demand.

Room Tip: All of our rooms were excellent however, the rooms with views across Cardiff would be my first choic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DeniseSouthWalesUK
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the hotel and your enjoyable day at the rugby. We look forward to welcoming you back for future rugby dates.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at this hotel, following a friend's wedding there this weekend. The hotel staff are friendly and very helpful and appear to run a tight ship! Our bedroom was spacious and the bathroom was a very good size. The room's decor isn't particularly modern, but was still nice. The scenery around the hotel is stunning. Would definitely recommend this hotel to those looking for a wedding venue and also for those wanting a weekend away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShonieB
Alix S, Front Office Manager at New House Country Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your kind words reagrding the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your friends wedding and I hope to see you at the hotel again in the future.