All reviewsbristol channelwedding venuewedding guestscocklescardiff baywedding breakfastgreat views over cardiffafternoon tealarge bathroombeautiful hotelsat navthe ground floorgood sizebusiness triptwo night staylovely roomstayed here for one night
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights when we came for a friends wedding. The room was very comfortable with views over the ground and Cardiff Bay in the distance. Food excellent and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the bay
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NottinghamApothecary
NewHouseHotel, Director at New House Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Review,

Thank you for taking the time to write you review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding your recently attended and also your stay at the hotel, the team work very hard to ensure that we provide excellent service to everyone and will be pleased to read your comments.

Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We often stay here. It is a stunning hotel and the location is lovely too. Rooms are classic and beds comfy with crisp white linen - yum! Staff are sadly quite variable these days, a few too many who can be less than helpful. Bar snacks are extortionate as we found to our cost - avoid!! Breakfast is very good - often very noisy and busy though as often two weddings both Friday and Saturday nights. Still a great place - just think they need to remember that many who stay there aren't wedding guests and they have a right to a lovely time too - especially with hefty price tag!

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on the hotel.

We are pleased to read that you enjoy staying with us so much and your comments about the hotel are lovely.

We are a little disaapointed to hear that we didn't quite meet the customer service standards that we set out for ourselves and for this we apologise. I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team.

We hope to see you back again soon so we can have another chance to provide you with a warm welsh welcome and great customer service.

Many thanks,

Stepehen Banks

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Although I live in Cardiff, I stayed at the Hotel after a Law Society Dinner last Friday night. I stayed in room No1 (thank you for the upgrade Bethan) this room or should I say suite was simply fantastic the decor was amazing, the bed huge and there was even a separate sitting room....!!!

The dinner was fantastic as usual at the New House. Woke up on Saturday to glorious weather and a view of Cardiff which just takes your breath away - I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough....

And I should mention Scott on reception who is so very helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get room 1 - fantastic
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

I am extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and also your dinner, I will be sure to pass your comments on to both Bethan & Scott.

Many thanks.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 19/09/12-21/09/12, as we were traveling a long distance bringing our daughter to the University, and wanted a small break after a long, tiresome drive (as well as hauling what seemed like half a houseful of stuff for the daughter's room). Said daughter ensconced in her new digs, we beat a hasty retreat, armed with Google maps/Streetview printouts and found this hotel without a problem.

What a fantastic Hotel in a wonderful setting! As we approached in the dusk, the bay and city lights were twinkling and we just stood still admiring it all. Inside was equally lovely - check in was very easy and a very friendly and helpful receptionist was so welcoming and charming, we felt the day's cares starting to dissipate rapidly! The rooms we passed through en route to our bedroom looked extremely comfortable - big squashy chairs and sofas, a Library, bar etc, all beautifully decorated and inviting. We had a lovely room in an extension, on the ground floor (great as I have mobility problems) and the room did not disappoint in any way. Very large, plenty of comfortable seating, twin beds zipped together to make a giant bed, flat screened tv and a huge bathroom with shower, all beautifully cared for and scrupulously clean. There were fluffy towels, plenty of hangers, trouser press, iron and ironing board, usual drinks facilities, wifi that worked - and the bonus was a balcony to carry on enjoying the view! We slept very well both nights. There were no weddings on, so I cannot comment on any noise levels.

Breakfast was very tasty and cooked to order, served by very helpful and polite staff in a delightful dining room. We staggered to the lounge to recover from breakfast with the papers, then explored the city with our daughter.

We didn't get to eat in the Restaurant as our daughter wanted to eat in town and see the sights, but, if breakfast is any indication, then the evening menu could only be excellent.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - the best Best Western Hotel we have stayed in ever. Just wish we had stayed longer! Marvelous, from start to finish. We shall certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have mobility issues, as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SarahBMunster

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking to the time to write such a glowing review of the hotel.

We pride ourselves on a warm welsh welcome, with great food and superior customer service and I am very pleased to hear that we have accomplished this for you.

I shall be sure to pass your comments to the rest of the team and we hope to welcome you back to the New House Country Hotel in the future.

Many thanks,

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Upon arrival the person at reception was inflexible, demanding a credit card from me although I explained that my wife would be paying the bill and would arrive in a short while. No credit card, no room, it's policy was the answer!!
Our bedroom was in the attic of the hotel and I could not stand upright in the accommodation. We were moved to a "better" room after 2 nights but still in the attic with no headroom (the hotel was full with wedding parties who obviously had preferential champagne treatment).
The beds in the second room were 2 singles pushed together and when reception was asked to "zip up" the beds and remake them as a double, their answer was to offer yet another room. At this point I just said no.

In the morning I asked about a larger room on a lower floor which was unoccupied, but not offered the previous night. I was met with excuses, deceit and untruths from reception.

Breakfast every morning was served as the same buffet. No cooked to order food was available. The plates were cold, the scrambled eggs were rubbery, the mushrooms mushy, the bacon frizzled and the fruit juices mislabelled.

The worst stay in 2 weeks in the UK, definitely not worth the money. The staff need to go to charm school, and the breakfast chef needs to take cookery classes. But if your scene is poor service, second rate food and foul-mouthed wedding guests, then go ahead and stay here. But it's not for us!!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Charles E
NewHouseHotel, Director at New House Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we appreciate your feedback.

We value all guest feedback both the good and not the not so good as it is only with this feedback that we can further improve the services offered to our guests.

I will be passing all of your comments onto the management team to review and discuss with their teams.

Once again many thanks for your comments and should you wish to discuss them any further please contact me direct by email banks.stephen@gmail.com

Yours Sincerely,