“Pleasant and reliable”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We visited The India Gate, for the first time for a few years. The food was delicious, well presented and thankfully, not greasy! The service was excellent, attentive and thoughtful.

1  Thank MagiB111

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The India Gate has been in Whitchurch for well over a decade or more and is ably run by three brothers with Bangladeshi roots. From the moment you enter, the staff are efficient and make you feel at home.

The waiting staff are knowledgeable and attentive but not in an intrusive way. The menu is wide and has many house specials as well as the usual Asian fare. Lamb is a must, as are the lamb somosas and the keema nan! The dishes with king prawn are really big prawns not the giant shrimps served by most Indian restaurants.

The strength of the restaurant lies with its starter and main dishes. Desserts offer less choice, mainly kulfi ice cream and some other ice cream variants.

However it may be time for the restaurant to up is game and relook at the menu which has hardly changed in a decade. There is strong competition from the likes of Mint and Mustard which offers a modern twist on the 'bog-standard' curry.

Regardless, it is always a sure bet for a decent curry if out with friends or family. The proof of the pudding is that is nearly always full so that tells you something.

2  Thank srbbrown
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Visited here for the first time with friends a few nights ago. We had complementary poppadums- always good- and I really enjoyed the lamb passanda dish- the meat was succulent. The pistachio kulfi was also very tasty. The service was fairly average but the food was good and not too expensive. I would eat here again.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Normally eat my curries in Leicester so like to think I know curry. It wasn't the best I have eaten but the ingredients were clearly quality and service was fine. But it was bloody expensive!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I used here regulary until I moved away from the area, and found myself eating nearer to home. However, we ate here recently with another couple and none of us were dissappointed!! Food was as I remember - excellent, efficient service, lovely hot plates and a perfectly iced cold Cobra beer and white wine to wash it down with. The prices have not gone up much from about 6 years ago when I ate here previously. We were seated immediately and the service was of a high standard. One of our friends found she could not eat all the food and staff kindly offered to put it in a takeaway dish which I thought was very thoughtful. Chicken Tikka Masala was beautifully tender and the side dishes complimented it very well. Will certainly be returning soon. Very full when we left. Best Indian food in and around the Cardiff area!!!

1  Thank vicky186460