“Highly Recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Soul Kitchen - CLOSED

Soul Kitchen
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Newport, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Myself and 2 girlfriends decided to visit last night - we didnt pre book as it was a Wednesday. We arrived and we were shown to a table by the very friendly waitress. We had 3 courses and they were delicious as was the wine all very reasonably priced. I would advise that if you are using a tastecard you pre book. There was a strong smell of bleach on arrival which was quite off putting however the restaurant was spotlessly clean. My only real disappointment was a lack of a cocktail menu but other than that I will definately be visiting again.

2 Thank Corinne P

“tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Took my daughter for a mother daughter catch up after work, such a warm welcome, didnt feel rushed to order our food. When the food arrived it looked simple but colourful and the fusion of flavours were amazing. We couldnt find fault and if you want food which tastes like its just come out of the family kitchen which is full of passion then this is the place. Make sure you starve yourself as the portions are more than generous.

Cardiff
“Mmmm Tasty Moreish Food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have to say i was a little dubious about this place after reading some of the reviews, especially the ones about the bad smell! However we decided to give this place a chance as the food on offer is very different to all the other places in cardiff. When we arrived we were greeted by a pleasant waiter and shown to our table, i have to say at this point i was intrigued by the artwork on the walls which i later found out were all done by a talented local. we had a selection of the starters so we could taste all that was on offer & i have to say that was definately a good decision that was suggested by the waitress as none of us could really decide on what to have, the ribs were my favourite as they were so tasty & the meat just fell off the bones. By this time it had got quite busy & the atmosphere was great especially the great tunes that were played & kept taking me down memory lane! lol.. Again we decided to share a selection of the mains so we could sample most on the menu & once again we were delighted with all that we devoured! Mmmm Coconut & Lime cheesecake is all im saying! The staff had a real good vibe about them as they all seemed to be getting down with the soulful atmosphere.. It wasn't until we were about to leave that i remembered about the smell?? As we didnt encounter this i had to ask one of the staff as this almost stopped us from coming, we were advised that there was an issue with the drains in the street that has now been rectified by the local authorities. We will most definately be coming back to sample the rest of the menu :-)

Cardiff
“Good portions, reasonably priced...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

After reading the mixed reviews we were a little apprehensive visiting this restaurant. When we arrived there was no one to welcome us so we had to try and get the attention of staff. We were then seated and from this point onwards staff we friendly, welcoming and attentative.There is a noticeable smell when you enter the restaurant; it does smell like dirty toilets which is a little off putting. The food is very reasonably priced and portions of a good size. We did have an issue with one of our meals but it was resolved promptly by the waitress and they couldn't apologise enough. We would go back but it wouldn't be first on our list.

• Visited March 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“If you like tasty food then this is the place to go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Due to a friend recommendation, I booked a table for four on a Thursday night. When I entered the restaurant I was greeted by soulful tunes and was promptly shown to my table. The lovely waitress was very efficient and made us all feel very welcome. I ordered the jerk chicken for starters and curry goat with rice and peas for my main. I love spicy food, so when I tried the jerk chicken I couldn't believe how spicy and tasty it was... immediately I could not wait for my main meal!! When my curry goat with rice and peas was served I could not believe how generous the portion size were. I have never tried goat before, but instantly loved it!! Meat was soooo tender. I will admit I was very full after finishing my curry goat. But we ordered two mango cheesecakes to share between us. I must admit I was completely satisfied with the whole experience. This restaurant is summat special!!