“Great food”

Soul Kitchen
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a cool and unique little place. A chain could never match this level of individuality! Great food, very fresh and SO tasty. The jerk chicken wings followed by the goat curry were excellent. Please ensure your credit card machine is working next time though.

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Food was tasty and very reasonable. Friendly and superb service. Will definitely return.
Chilli Prawns and jerk chicken for starters were delicious. Mains were steak and jerk snapper fish which were both very tasty. Too full for a desert!

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Visited Mr Gs tonight and can't believe I waited so long to try it out. We were a group of 15 and they accommodated us so well, all food was out at the same time and waitresses were attentive, friendly and never let my drink run dry.
The food
I had the lamb ribs as a starter and they were melt in the mouth. I am a weakling on the heat meter and these were flavoured and spiced just right. Jerk chicken wing starter fell off the bone and was very tender and juicy, everything you want in chicken.
For mains I went for the afro burger, at first I felt like I was going for the bland option but it was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. It had a lovely marinade on the burger and was in a brioche style bun which was genius. Judging by the lack of conversation and the happy faces afterwards I would say all the mains are tasty good as between 15 of us we had at least one of everything and nothing but glowing recommendations from everyone.
I would definitely go again and the value is great, I had two courses and 3 glasses of wine for £25. Definitely give Mr Gs a try you wont be disappointed!

1  Thank izzyrascal
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had a not so good experience last week. Sent Facebook message and have not had a reply so thought I would share the Message with you to all:

I just wanted to share with you my experience of dining at your restaurant on Wednesday night with my parents, I go everywhere with my mates but take my parents to only selected favourite venues.

It was fairly busy. I ordered the Steak with Boiled Basmati rice, my parents both ordered the Jerk Chicken with Boiled Rice. I also ordered the Apple & Cinnamon Pie for dessert.
May I start with your new waiter? Sorry no good at all. My parents ordered the Jerk Chicken with Boiled Rice, simple, I only decided on the Steak as I wanted it with rice after being told by your waiter that it comes in a nice sauce, Apple and Cinnamon Pie also sounded delicious (like something the Sizzling pub chain served me a few years ago) so I also ordered that hoping it will be better than anything in Wetherspoons.

There was a very long 45 minute wait for our food, George mucking in to, good stuff! When it did arrive, as usual top marks for presentation. However, my parents told me their Jerk chicken was only lukewarm inside and the rice were not very hot either. My steak looked nice, was a bit tough, but there was no sauce what so ever as promoted by your waiter and I had to unfortunately take to cutting chunks of it and taking alternate mouthfuls of it and the rice. So far, long wait, not very good food.

After mains, We sat for a good 20 minutes before being asked whether I am ready for my dessert, which I was, this took another 5 mins to arrive. The piece of pie was just served on a plate on it’s own, no cream or ice cream. I asked your waiter where’s the cream, he took the plate away and came back with one squirt of cream on the side, I was very disappointed as I was expecting the pie to be drowned in single/double cream. The pie wasn’t very good either, no way was it Apple and Cinnamon Pie, more like erm, Apple strudel.

All in all, fairly disappointing 4th visit after 3 great visits.
I hope that you take time to consider the points raised here regarding our visit and ensure changes are made. I don’t want to exchange hate on here and it would be great to visit again some time soon.

On the whole you have a great restaurant and getting Caribbean cuisine right, especially in Cardiff, you are on to a winner…

1  Thank ZRNP19
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Finally had a chance to visit this place and fair to say that it lives up to the good reviews and expectations. For a Monday night, it was almost full. Food was tasty with lots of flavour though for me, it was a bit too salty. We ordered the lamb ribs and fish cakes to start. True to the description, the meat was tender and easily fell off. The fish cakes were flavoursome too. For mains, we had the Afro Burger and the Jerk Chicken. Again, tasted delicious and portions were very generous. I had my chicken with coconut rice, which went well with the jerk sauce.

Service was fair, with all members of staff quite pleasant. The food is definitely value for money and warrants repeat visits.