“Worst night sleep ever!”
Review of Jolyon's at No. 10

Jolyon's at No. 10
Ranked #9 of 47 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago and booked directly with the hotel. When we arrived the girl on reception made a big point of showing us our room (203) explaining how the window fully opened and directing us to a cupboard to point out the extras provided which included a fan. We thought this rather strange at the time! My husband asked if there was any heat on in the room as it was very warm....but there wasn't. It had just started to rain and was cold enough to wear a jacket outdoors.

We decided to eat in the restaurant and had a very nice meal with friendly attentive service...However when we returned to the room it was even warmer and we opened the window fully, switched on the fan and went to bed assuming that the room would cool down with the falling night temp. An hour or so later we awoke to stifling heat as the temperature had definitely risen. To make matters worse we could hear the drone of a huge extractor fan outside plus the noise of people chatting outside. We through off the covers and had a shower in an attempt to cool down but basically we got little if any rest. In the morning we discovered that the room was directly above the kitchen (the kitchen being on the first floor) which explained the unnatural heat in the room and the noise. We did complain (very nicely) the following morning but have had nor formal apology even though we eventually spoke to the Manager. Although the decor, food and staff were of a reasonable standard surely the priority of any hotel is to offer it's guests a good night's sleep! Room 203 is not fit for purpose!!

P Pickin

2  Thank Pauline P
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Pauline P,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Jolyon's at No 10. It is with great disappointment to read of your experience in terms of the comfort of your room temperature.
Jolyon's will be going through extensive refurbishment in the new year where we are taking into consideration comments such as yours.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your restaurant experience and that you found our staff attentive.

it would give me great pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 26, 2013

This hotel was such a brilliant stay. I got a deal for my room and loved it, The bed was so comfortable and really lovely, the bathroom was fantastic - I love the rain shower and at the advice of the staff I went and got some nice bubble bath so I could enjoy the bath in the room - apparently my room had the best bath - I forget which number it was now.
I felt so at ease here, although it may have been a bit squishy with more than one person in the room.
I stayed quite late the day of check out and it was fine to have my luggage stored until I was ready to leave.
Great location, right near bute park - do yourself a favour and go for a walk in the park for a few hours, so lovely with places for tea and the castle is in there too.
I picked this hotel because of proximity to the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama since I had an audition there and I could just walk right across the park.
Fantastic breakfast selection and you can eat with a view over the park.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Alexandra C

It is fantastic to read you review of your stay with us at Jolyons at No10 Boutique Hotel. Im really happy to read that you enjoyed the facilities within your room and that you found our breakfast offering enjoyable.

I will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Carl Davies - General Manager

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I booked two nights here for earlier this week, as it was my fiancee's birthday and we are currently quite far away from each other, so doing something extra special was definitely in order.

The stay should have cost (according to LateRooms) about £500 and we paid £160. I'm glad for this, because I think this review would be a lot more scathing had I paid the full amount.

The room itself was gorgeous. clean, organised and just breath taking really. there was a beautiful antique looking chair and an amazingly comfortable large bed.

There was complimentary bottles of water which were a nice touch, and the view was okay. all in all the main features of the bedroom were great.

The bathroom is a different issue. instead of just a shower, or a full bath, there was this weird half bath hybrid. I have no idea why this is a feature, because the last thing anyone wants to do in a bath is lie down with their knees to their chin. the shower was a rain style one which was nice, but we were quite disappointed that the bath wasn't a full bath.

The toilet was the biggest issue we had. the toilet seat seemed determined to be stuck offset from the actual toilet, by a glaring amount. every time I tried to move it into place it would just move back. no idea why but it was quite annoying. along with that, the toilet would constantly flush. usually we could get it to stop by pressing flush again, but on the second night we tried everything and it continuously flushed for two hours. I phoned down to reception and nobody answered. I was furious and exhausted and eventually got it to stop at half past 1 in the morning by pushing the flush button in as hard as possible and holding it for 30 seconds before letting go.

the door to the bathroom was this strange split thing which was incredibly inconvenient, and if you close the door behind you whilst in the bathroom, the handle was broken, so you'd get locked inside. that happened to both me and my partner during our stay.

the fancy sink center piece also didn't work, you'd have to lift it out just for the water to go down the hole. and all of the soap dispensing things seemed attractive and plentiful until you tried to actually use them. because of the 'design' of how they were attached the wall, you had to hold them up from the bottom with one hand, and still press the top down to get soap out. there was no simple and normal way to do this, which meant I regularly sprayed soap all over myself.

The staff were the best part of our stay, they were very friendly and accommodating. There didn't seem to be too much noise from the bar downstairs, however on the second night I was kept up late due to the noise of other guests. I don't think the walls are as thick as one would hope.

all in all... it's a nice hotel, but I think they need to look into the practicality of their designs, so that nothing detracts from the experience. honestly, if the bathroom fiasco's hadn't occurred, this would have been our best ever hotel stay.

Room Tip: 208 was quite nice. there is an office building outside the bathroom window which isn't great fo...
1  Thank Kayleigh M
jolyons, Guest Relations Manager at Jolyon's at No. 10, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Kayleigh M

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Jolyons No10. it give me great pleasure to to read that you found our staff of great help.

It is with great disapointment to read that the bathroom did not meat your expectations.

it would give me great pleasure in welcoming you back to Jolyons in the near future.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at Jolyons No. 10 for one night. With the convenient location, it was easy to walk to Cardiff Castle and into the shopping district. They were very welcoming, the room was small, but comfortable. There were nice amenities like tea making facilities, bottled water, and a safe. They were happy to arrange a taxi for the next morning for us. Also, a lovely breakfast was served in the dining room, starting at 7:30 AM, great for early check out. There were many items on the buffet table and a full Welsh breakfast (even porridge).

1  Thank Miriam L

Dear Rachael M

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Jolyon's at No10. Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay.

it will give me great pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed September 19, 2013

After reading the reviews, we had high hopes for this hotel. Unfortunately, on arrival and after pre-booking a parking space a few days before, we were unable to get into the car park. We pressed the buzzer three times and waited about 10 minutes before leaving the car and going to the reception (which is at the back of the hotel), we then still had to wait whilst the guy was checking someone in - could he not have just said excuse me and answered the buzzer? The car park is extremely small with columns everywhere so tricky to manoeuvre. Upon check in the guy just got up and walked away, leaving us looking at each other, wondering what was happening. Another guy arrived, sat down but didn't speak to us for a few minutes and then passed our key and gave us brief directions and with a couldn't be bothered attitude said "I can show you if you like" half heartedly - we said we could manage. The Venetian suite was a good size but the lounge area was like an office reception, harsh lighting with two sofas and horrible beige carpet. The bedroom area was fine and had a comfy bed. The bathroom was compact, but ok, except that when you had a shower the shower head was so high the floor and toilet were soaked, as the water flowed over the top of the shower screen. The rooms were also uncomfortably hot. We ate out at Jamies Italian (excellent - approx. 10 min walk) so cannot comment on the restaurant, but if the breakfast was anything to go by the next morning, I'm glad we did. We arrived for breakfast and were the only ones in there. The waitress was very nice and friendly. The breakfast took around 20 minutes to arrive, both my poached eggs were hard, the muffin was barely toasted without butter, there were plenty of mushrooms and tomatoes if you like a plate full of them. The Welsh breakfast was ok. The lady on reception on departure was very pleasant and if she had been there the night before, maybe we would have had a better first impression. This hotel needs to realise that first impressions do really count. We won't be staying here again.

1  Thank Family-M33

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Jolyon's at No10 Boutique Hotel and also a thank you for your constructive feedback.

it gives me great pleasure to read of your comments about our Receptionist at check out and our breakfast waitress.

However it is with great regret and disapointment to read of your comments regarding your check in experience, which I can certainly stress that this is not the norm here at Jolyons Boutique Hotels

I would like to offer my aplogies that our breakfast did not meet your expections, should one of our team had been informed we would have been more than happy to rectify any un satisfactory food items.

I am sad to read that you did not enjoy the comfort of your room during your stay.

Rest assured your comments will be shared with our departmental managers and training with our front office team will take place.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at Jolyon's on a business trip to Cardiff but was made to feel very welcome. The room was small but the attention to detail was excellent - makes such a difference to the normal rubbish places I get sent to. The 'Big Cuddle' dining room was fabulous too - I could have stayed in there all night! And at such great value, it's hard to resist going again! 5 stars!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rachel M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Jolyon's No10 boutique Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to read comments such as yours. I am reallly happy to read that you rate us 5 stars.

I will be more than happy, in welcoming you back in the near future to Jolyon's Boutique Hotels

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Jolyons No.10 this weekend, I was on a business trip although thanks to the staff's warm welcome I felt right at home.
After the swift check in I was escorted to my room by a charming, well dressed gentleman who informed me he was the hotel General Manager (Carl Davies) & if I should need anything just simply call reception.
My room was exceptionally clean with a modern, boutique feel (just as I was promised when booking!) The en-suite had mood lighting and a very airy feel. Naturally, I did what we all do when in a hotel... tested the bed! Oh my gosh it was glorious, the softest sheets I have ever experienced! The TV was a tad on the small side but the room was full of the normal items: Kettle tea & coffee etc. The thing that struck me most about Jolyons No. 10 is the 'extra touches' such as a sweetie jar, hot chocolate and complementary water.
I had dinner during my stay which was superb. I ordered the chicken risotto with bread and dipping oil. It was lush, I even met the head chef, to whom I passed on my compliments.
Breakfast was also delicious, pancakes & scrambled egg. YUM!
Once again the staff went out of there way to ensure every need was met and truly went above and beyond.

Very Highly recommend!

Room Tip: I had room 208
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Amanda S,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Jolyon's No10 Boutique Hotel. it gives me great pleasure to read comments such as yours.

I am very thrilled to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and i will look forward towelcoming you back soon,

kindest regards,