“Dissapointing”

The Meating Place
Ranked #61 of 1,246 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a contemporary grill house based in the city centre that can boast a great steak menu including a 20oz t bone as well as a great selection of other meats including hanging meat skewers cooked on a real charcoal grill.The menus are based on food we love. At Meating Place we make every effort to keep our menus seasonal, which means using locally sourced products.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Admittedly it was match day but that is no excuse for lack of quality. Had the smoked duck & pomegranate starter (as did 5 other members of our party) which was pathetic! I located precisely 2 minute pieces of duck in the whole dish - really!? I then had the meat kebab which was overcooked and therefore dry (others in party felt the same) and the red pepper 'sauce' turned out to be a tiny dish of what I would call relish; so no moisture there!. Wont be going again!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Steve K

UK
“Certainly meaty!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

January Monday and very few people there. Warm welcome and the menu was explained. Starter antipasti for 2 and was very good and plentiful.
We both had the skewers as a main, one chicken, one mixed and dangled over the table theatrically. Lots of meat but didn't amaze, the accompanying veg were tasty and well cooked - overall, it probably needed a sauce to bring it up a grade. To be fair, we were offered one but chose not to.

Upstairs is larger than downstairs and, if the place were full, not sure how the kitchen would cope.

A pleasant evening but not outstanding

1 Thank dumbdoggy
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Went here for Sunday lunch as it was advertised as the potted pig sister restaurant! Not sure how they're linked but it's certainly not via food or service. Only 4 tables in and we had to wait an hour between courses! And when the food fianally arrived it was overcooked and poorly presented. Woman I can only assume is the manager spent most of her time Sat on her laptop while customers Sat around wondering where the hell they're food was. Music not appropriate for lunchtime and even Christmas songs at 1 point! Plus the toilets are just not acceptable!!! All in all a waste of £110 for 3 people. Will not return and certainly won't recommend!

1 Thank Lollypoppy69
Bristol
“Try the Kebabs - soooooooo good”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Ate there in January. Lovely atmoshpere and the food and service was absolutely great. The Kebabs are brought and hung from hooks above the table. The food was really lovely. We WILL return

• Visited January 2014
“Very disappointing - novelty skewers did not cut the mustard”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had heard really good things about this place and today was prepared to spend quite a reasonable amount of money on a meal. This was because my boyfriend had actually been let out of hospital but just for the day and obviously I wanted to treat him. Unfortunately, from the word go, I was left wondering what all the fuss was about. The three of us were told to sit right by the door around a 6 seater table. Despite there being numerous other more suitable tables available. As a result we spent our time there wearing our coats at all times, we were freezing. We had the 'cheese fondu' between the three of us to start. I love garlic but there was far too much garlic in there. I couldn't even drink my red wine with it as it was so overpowering.

For main I tried the lamb skewers. These meat on skewer dishes seem to be all the rage at the moment, but mine were awful. For £18 I expect decent lamb. This lamb was very poor quality, was dry, tasteless and chewy. The rest of the meal consisted of freezing cold, dry couscous, salad and a freezing cold dry wrap. It was served on a wooden platter which looked as though it was going to give me hepatitus. As you can tell I was really not impressed. My boyfriend had a steak which he said was nice but he has had much better elsewhere around Cardiff.

Mid way through our main, the head waitress started shouting at the chefs fairly loudly. It was quite funny that wouldn't have normally annoyed me at all had the food not been so below par.

The fact is that this is not a cheap restaurant. For three of us it came to £90. We only had two glasses of wine in that. There was nothing I was served which I could not have cooked better myself at home. Nothing inventive on the menu and I fear that they are relying far too heavily on the novelty of hanging meat from skewers attached to the ceiling. Frankly, this method of eating will not be sampled by me again as they were simply freezing cold. Lamb should not be served cold.

I will not be returning I'm afraid!