“Nice, but not fantastic”
Review of The Meating Place

The Meating Place
Ranked #60 of 1,293 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a contemporary grill house based in the city centre that can boast a great steak menu including a 20oz t bone as well as a great selection of other meats including hanging meat skewers cooked on a real charcoal grill.The menus are based on food we love. At Meating Place we make every effort to keep our menus seasonal, which means using locally sourced products.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I must admit I was a bit disappointed with my meal here after reading such positive reviews before booking. Went here for a meal and drinks with people from work for our Christmas Party. We pre-ordered our food in advance, which wasn't a problem, but people had ordered steak/beef and it wasn't cooked to people's liking as requested. We were just told that all the meat was braised. Staff were very friendly and we had a nice table but I think it was a bit pricey for what it actually was.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I couldn't fault the steak. Cooked perfectly, chips were delicious and sauce bang on. Couldn't help but notice a few flaws though, the pastry on my starter and main was not cooked enough. We were a large party and ordered in advance. The starter was 'trio of game', not explained in full on the menu. The waitress didn't tell us either, so by the time I finished eating I managed to find out. I think it was mostly the service letting it down, the deposit we paid wasn't on the first receipt (very quickly rectified) but we weren't asked how the food was until we finished. Now these things wouldn't ordinarily bother me but when a 10% service charge is added you expect good service. They did seem very busy, maybe they were short staffed. The steak, was great.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was our 1st visit to The Meating Place and we were not disapointed, we could tell by looking through the window that it was a good place to eat as every table was taken, we went in got greated by a waitress who asked if we had booked a table, we hadn't so we had to wait about 20-30 mins.The wait was worth it as the rib eye steaks we had were perfect, well done but still tender, washed down with a few pints in the relaxing atmosphere and dimmed lighting, perfect. Will be back again for a steak next time in cardiff and will recommend to anyone looking for a well cooked meal at a reasonable price.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Had been meaning to try try this restaurant for ages. It always looks so welcoming when walking past, and I know it's a sister restaurant of The Potted Pig. Finally went there this week. Was not disappointed. The food was excellent. Wine list is fine, and not particularly expensive. The atmosphere is great - very relaxed and friendly but with a nice, 'upmarket' air. Basically, not at all pretentious. Most memorably, the staff are fantastic. Really friendly and helpful and great fun. Had an excellent evening and am looking forward to returning soon. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Andrew878
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had such high expectations having previously visited their sister restaurant the potted pig on many occasions. In 11 years of living in Cardiff this was the worst meal we've ever had. In fairness 3 of the 6 meals were refunded along with a bottle of wine. That said we still spent +£100 and all left hungry and a little sick. Most had the hanging meat skewers. The meat was either burnt or raw (inc translucent chicken) and was absolutely tasteless. The manager was fair and reimbursed us but our night was already ruined. Such a let down and not cheap either....

2  Thank Cardiff_Rugby