“Not too bad”

Ed's Easy Diner - Cardiff
Ranked #331 of 1,217 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: American, Diner, South American
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Abertillery, United Kingdom
“Not too bad”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Ate here for lunch today after shopping in Cardiff. The wait for the food after ordering was a bit lengthy, however the restaurant was very busy. When the food eventually arrived it was a pretty good burger and chips. The staff were friendly and prompt in taking your order. The price was a bit on the steep side for what we had, but overall the food and service were ok and I would return in the future

• Visited October 2012

Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply awful.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My family and I visited this diner for a family birthday recently and had been excited about trying what was supposed to be an authentic American eating experience.
Unfortunately, we were very disappointed and ended up having to complain because of one problem after another.
We were kept waiting whilst staff chatted in an otherwise empty restaurant, the wrong food was brought (they brought a burger instead of a hot dog), the buns were stale, the fries were obviously economy supermarket chips and the attitude of the staff left much to be desired. My husband's food was not brought until everyone else had pretty much finished their meals and even then the quality was just plain bad. When my husband complained (which he only does when really peeved), the attitude was dismissive although the server acknowledged that the food was late and the service had been bad.
We had travelled 30 miles to visit this diner and were left pretty annoyed at the experience. Contrary to the sign on the diner wall, I will never visit Ed's Easy Diner again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank cocomum123
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Unfairly Rated”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I see from reading the recent Reviews that Ed's doesn't rate highly but I do beg to differ and feel strongly enough to add this review in their defence!!

We have been to several Ed's Diners (e.g. multiple locations in London) and have also visited here several times in the past and have only met with great service and excellent food. Yes, I do agree that the milkshakes are expensive but they are worth every penny and per serving you get 2-3 glasses! In addition, I can strongly recommend the Hot Dogs as they are really meaty and if you like chilli - you'll love their chilli dog!

Also, if you go on-line and register, they will send you an email entitling you to a free meal and you can also obtain an Ed's Card where you accumulate points (like a clubcard).

All in all, as long as you don't go expecting luxury, you won't be disappointed, Ed's Diner lives in the realms of being greater than the likes of McDonalds and Burger King but not as good as Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock/TGI and this is reflected in the prices as they are somewhere in the middle.

In closing, don't be put off from going to Ed's, it's a great Diner oozing with character and charm and I will return and have recommended it to everyone I know who visits Cardiff

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank KMAnonymous
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nice little diner in city centre”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We love American food. Lets face, we all do. Having watched a lot of Man Vs Food i really wanted to try a chili dog and this place had very good ones. My partner had a nice big cheeseburger our son had a kids puppy dog and i had chili dog combo which for the price was good value as it came with fries, onion rings and coleslaw.Good service too even though it was busy as there was Olympic football on that day. Would go again for sure.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nice milkshakes, but very overpriced”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had eaten here once before around a year ago and decided to try it again, as even though it is expensive the milkshakes are out of this world!

It was quite quiet being 7 o’clock on a Wednesday evening and we were seated in a corner booth. The waiter remembered me and my boyfriend from a year ago (when he got my order wrong!), which I thought was a bit strange but nonetheless he was still friendly (he seems to have improved a lot since the last time we were there). I ordered a milkshake and hot dog & fries and my boyfriend ordered a coke and a burger & fries.

We’d forgotten just how small the portion sizes were and that you had to order things separate, so a burger would cost around £7 and you had to pay an extra £2 - £3 for fries etc and extra for a drink so it all adds up considering the portions are so small. It’s a major issue the whole chain has as I don’t think they can justify those prices against the same portion size you get in somewhere like McDonalds. It’s a shame as I would eat there more often if they were cheaper, but I only tend to go there if I have a voucher (this time it was a free birthday milkshake).

The food does taste quite nice (I don’t rate their burger though – rather tasteless), especially the hot dog, but the milkshakes are definitely their saving grace, they are stunning!

We didn’t have desserts this time around as there was nothing I really fancied and I didn’t want to pay loads of money for something I didn’t really want. Plus we were one of two couple left and it seemed like the staff just wanted to go home.

Our waiter was prompt with all of the food and was trying to palm off Eds Diner Cards to everyone which he said gave you points, but I knew from their newsletters that it gave you 10% off. If we’d have registered them that day then we would have been entitled to that, but my smart phone had died so I couldn’t.

The restaurant although small is quite nice, but it’s not really worth paying the high premium for. Only okay if you don’t mind paying loads for that type of food.

• Visited July 2012