Review of Madras in Wales - CLOSED

Madras in Wales
Cuisines: Indian, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Description: Authentic South Indian Restaurant
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My first visit was also a day when the hygiene department paid them a visit... could hear their conversation crisp and clear.. they didn't seem a bit satisfied with the standards . Had a Masala Dosa, porotta and chicken chettinad...

Food: The masala Dosa was very good, although it was clear that the porotta and chicken chettinad were micro waved from frozen as the meat was still cold inside..

Service:no respect for the guest.. I paid my bill, then the guy took the change from the till and started watching a video in his pal's phone while offering me the change... that too without even looking at my face ...

Atmosphere: You don't want to see the staff blaming each other for what ever, while you are having you food there ..

, Someone please teach them what hospitality is ....

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Sajeer S

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I'd heard lots of my friends talk about it so I thought I'd give it ago. The service wasn't very good, the starters arrived after our main. There was no atmosphere, no music playing. I had a thali plate and I didn't enjoy it at all. I'm sure the other dishes aren't as bad, the starter of chilli paneer was nice, the deep fried battered paneer wasn't as nice. Staff were nice though, but I wouldn't go again.

1 Thank Fflurl
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“TERRIBLE”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

very slow service, we had to remind the waiter for our drinks order what we ordered 25 min ago.. and even after he just brought half of our drink. food is terrible dosa over cooked chutney taste disgcasting its not fresh at all!!! cutlery dirty, we didnt even finish our starter the main turn up didnt have space to put on the table...

1 Thank Anita T
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, poor food hygeine”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have eaten here a few times and the food has always been fairly tasty. The service on my last visit was fairly poor - it took too long to be served and the server was pretty inept. We soon realised the reason for the delay when an inspector, presumably from the Food Standards Agency, emerged from the kitchen and spent about 20 minutes laying into the manager for the poor hygiene in the kitchen. The food didn't seem so appealing after this.

Having checked the Food Standards Agency website I found that the restaurant has a rating of 1 out of 5. This means "Major Improvement Necessary". The date of the last inspection was 24 September 2012, so they have had this problem for some time. And clearly, based on the conversation I overheard between the inspector and the manager, the Madras in Wales remains very poor hygiene in spite of being given a rating of 1 several months ago. This is very worrying to me - so I won't be eating there again. In future I will be checking restaurants on the Food Standards Agency website BEFORE I eat there.

1 Thank Alexander S
St. Dogmaels, United Kingdom
“Forget Punitha's, this is better”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have previously been regular patrons of Punitha's Tiffin in Albany Road, which is now apparently defunct (shutters permanently shut, no-one answers the phone, etc.).

Madras in Wales offers a similar South Indian cuisine, extremely well cooked and presented, in more comfortable surroundings, and at the same very reasonable prices. And as a bonus you can take your own bottle or cans if you want to drink alcohol.

As long as you're not seated next to the extremely rude and arrogant doctor and his wife that we were treated to last night, you can't do much better than this.