“Tasty food, poor food hygeine”
Review of Madras in Wales - CLOSED

Madras in Wales
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic South Indian Restaurant
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, poor food hygeine”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have eaten here a few times and the food has always been fairly tasty. The service on my last visit was fairly poor - it took too long to be served and the server was pretty inept. We soon realised the reason for the delay when an inspector, presumably from the Food Standards Agency, emerged from the kitchen and spent about 20 minutes laying into the manager for the poor hygiene in the kitchen. The food didn't seem so appealing after this.

Having checked the Food Standards Agency website I found that the restaurant has a rating of 1 out of 5. This means "Major Improvement Necessary". The date of the last inspection was 24 September 2012, so they have had this problem for some time. And clearly, based on the conversation I overheard between the inspector and the manager, the Madras in Wales remains very poor hygiene in spite of being given a rating of 1 several months ago. This is very worrying to me - so I won't be eating there again. In future I will be checking restaurants on the Food Standards Agency website BEFORE I eat there.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Alexander S

St. Dogmaels, United Kingdom
“Forget Punitha's, this is better”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have previously been regular patrons of Punitha's Tiffin in Albany Road, which is now apparently defunct (shutters permanently shut, no-one answers the phone, etc.).

Madras in Wales offers a similar South Indian cuisine, extremely well cooked and presented, in more comfortable surroundings, and at the same very reasonable prices. And as a bonus you can take your own bottle or cans if you want to drink alcohol.

As long as you're not seated next to the extremely rude and arrogant doctor and his wife that we were treated to last night, you can't do much better than this.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, good value for money”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a very nice curry house serving authentic southern indian food not just your run of the mill curries. Their Dosa's are lovely as are the curries. Very reasonably priced and generous portions. Recommended.

• Visited December 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Authentic South Indian food with good atmosphere and price list”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

There was a nostalgic air about the restaurant, as it is the exact same menu, price list, friendly service and even songs over the speaker you'd find in a typical restaurant in south india. I went with my sister as we were craving indian food, and we were spoilt for choice. For those who have never experimented with south indian food (most of the curry restaurants in the UK are north indian or bangladeshi/pakistani and trust me, they're very different!), there are even little blurbs on some of the popular dishes and what they're made from/how they're prepared up on the wall. My sister and I were really satisfied with the experience, and we were thrilled to find out that the restaurant even does an all year student deal!!

• Visited September 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Wonderful South Indian food”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I love South Indian food and this is the place I like to go whenever the urge for a Masala Dosa :-) It's reasonably priced, there's plenty of choice and it's always delicious.

I've taken my parents and groups of friends, at lunch and dinner times. You can take your own alcohol if you wish for a small corkage fee. The supermarket is literally opposite the restaurant.

Last time we went, the chef was happy to create a dish for our table and it was divine. One of my friends still has dreams about it :-)

• Visited October 2012
SwaSha, Owner at Madras in Wales, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear customer, Madras in Wales (MIW) is very delighted to hear from you. We welcome your suggestions, appreciation, encouragement and positive criticism in order to serve you better. Wé will try our best to make sure that you have a pleasant experience.
MIW management.