“Forget Punitha's, this is better”
Review of Madras in Wales - CLOSED

Madras in Wales
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic South Indian Restaurant
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have previously been regular patrons of Punitha's Tiffin in Albany Road, which is now apparently defunct (shutters permanently shut, no-one answers the phone, etc.).

Madras in Wales offers a similar South Indian cuisine, extremely well cooked and presented, in more comfortable surroundings, and at the same very reasonable prices. And as a bonus you can take your own bottle or cans if you want to drink alcohol.

As long as you're not seated next to the extremely rude and arrogant doctor and his wife that we were treated to last night, you can't do much better than this.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a very nice curry house serving authentic southern indian food not just your run of the mill curries. Their Dosa's are lovely as are the curries. Very reasonably priced and generous portions. Recommended.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

There was a nostalgic air about the restaurant, as it is the exact same menu, price list, friendly service and even songs over the speaker you'd find in a typical restaurant in south india. I went with my sister as we were craving indian food, and we were spoilt for choice. For those who have never experimented with south indian food (most of the curry restaurants in the UK are north indian or bangladeshi/pakistani and trust me, they're very different!), there are even little blurbs on some of the popular dishes and what they're made from/how they're prepared up on the wall. My sister and I were really satisfied with the experience, and we were thrilled to find out that the restaurant even does an all year student deal!!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I love South Indian food and this is the place I like to go whenever the urge for a Masala Dosa :-) It's reasonably priced, there's plenty of choice and it's always delicious.

I've taken my parents and groups of friends, at lunch and dinner times. You can take your own alcohol if you wish for a small corkage fee. The supermarket is literally opposite the restaurant.

Last time we went, the chef was happy to create a dish for our table and it was divine. One of my friends still has dreams about it :-)

SwaSha, Owner at Madras in Wales, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear customer, Madras in Wales (MIW) is very delighted to hear from you. We welcome your suggestions, appreciation, encouragement and positive criticism in order to serve you better. Wé will try our best to make sure that you have a pleasant experience.
MIW management.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have visited Madras in Wales a few times now, after stumbing across it whilst looking for a less tiresome and pretentious alternative to Milgi Lounge.

Being a vegetarian and a lover of south India since visiting in 2009, I can say that the food here is exceptional. My first vegetarian Thali here literally TRANSPORTED me to Tamil Nadu. The exceptional and unique balancing of fragrant spices is so evocative of that place. The Sambhar and dal in particular are some of the best I have ever had in the UK.

The decoration is admittedly bold, but it is a very clean place and not offensive. The posters on the wall explaining the foods such as idli and dosa I thought were a really good idea! I read that somebody thought the service isn't great. In my experience the staff are lovely and just a bit shy. Think it's great they don't sell alcohol - the excellent food stands alone.

Writing this review because I had a takeaway from there for the first time at the weekend and was really impressed. The delivery was prompt and they managed to find my difficult-to-locate house, which is always a plus. The aubergine curry that came with the generous meal was one of the nicest I've ever had.

Seriously love this place!