“Deliciously authentic”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic South Indian Restaurant
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have visited Madras in Wales a few times now, after stumbing across it whilst looking for a less tiresome and pretentious alternative to Milgi Lounge.

Being a vegetarian and a lover of south India since visiting in 2009, I can say that the food here is exceptional. My first vegetarian Thali here literally TRANSPORTED me to Tamil Nadu. The exceptional and unique balancing of fragrant spices is so evocative of that place. The Sambhar and dal in particular are some of the best I have ever had in the UK.

The decoration is admittedly bold, but it is a very clean place and not offensive. The posters on the wall explaining the foods such as idli and dosa I thought were a really good idea! I read that somebody thought the service isn't great. In my experience the staff are lovely and just a bit shy. Think it's great they don't sell alcohol - the excellent food stands alone.

Writing this review because I had a takeaway from there for the first time at the weekend and was really impressed. The delivery was prompt and they managed to find my difficult-to-locate house, which is always a plus. The aubergine curry that came with the generous meal was one of the nicest I've ever had.

Seriously love this place!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have eaten at this restaurant many times now and have taken many guests.
We are never disappointed. The food is a taste sensation.
We went for my birthday recently and I asked for the chef to cook me his favourite dish. Me and my friends were blown away by the flavours. When we asked the chef about it, he said it had 35 ingredients.
The place lets you bring your own bottle, but that is not a problem as there is a supermarket across the road.

In my experience I would advise eating at the restaurant as this type of food doesn't travel well. When you eat in, it tastes so fresh and hot.

I would recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Popped in on Sunday and have to say the food is great value for money. But the service and the decor is a bit back of the times.They do not serve alcohol either.
I don't think I would go back in especially when you are prepared for a nice cool evening out with your partner. But they do have a take away service which I should try soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Good south Indian cuisine for reasonable prices. I haven't had their dosas (crepes) but my mates say that they are the best in Cardiff. The only dish I was disappointed with (twice) is the 'kothu porotta' - the porotta doesn't seem fresh.
Service is average; quick and responsive and probably what you'd expect from an establishment like this.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I went to the Madras in Wales for a lunchtime meal with a group of people from the office where I work. I had Chicken chat to start and Chicken Jalfrezi for my main meal. The food was excellent very tasty, plenty of it. The service was also very quick and efficient especially as we were on a limited time period in our lunchhour. I would definately recommend Madras in Wales to friends and family.