“Great staff”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed July 1, 2014

took friends for a birthday treat so had plans for the evening but the staff were just excellent. Well mannered, great service and very helpful. they were extremely busy but always had time for you, just let down a little by breakfast being a little sparse due to massive numbers in and out. But overall would highly recommend a stay

Room Tip: Great for the centre as just near the castle and a short walk to the main shops, executive rooms exc...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for such a lovely review.

I am most pleased that you found the team a highlight of your stay.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here for business. Location is fairly central - it's right by The Millennium Stadium and only 5 mins walk from city centre. Parking is available but you need to ask where it is. The hotel looks scruffy from the outside and this reflects the overall standard of the room which was tired and in need of some upgrading. The internet access was dreadful, despite being assured that it was a fast speed - it was only after I complained that the speed improved. Overall this Holiday Inn is not at the same level of quality of others I have stayed in - would be reluctant to stay here again.
I really did not like the huge windows which overlooked other rooms in the hotel - I was bemused to observe a lady in an adjacent room stripping off - obviously oblivious to the fact that she was on full view to adjacent windows and anyone looking out - They need to have net curtains!
It was very busy and noisy when I stayed - mainly coach parties of ladies of a certain age. The restaurant was busy, the staff were polite and friendly but the service was slow because there wasn't enough of them to keep up with the numbers of diners; so if you wanted a quick breakfast - out of luck!

Room Tip: Be aware that the big picture windows are not obscured!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank you for your review, and I am sorry that we did not meet all your expectations.

I have taken careful note of all your comments and shall be making changes where appropriate, your constructive feedback is most helpful.

In relation to the rooms, we are currently working through a refurbishment programme on our bedroom stock, so I anticipate that the observations you have made will be dealt with presently.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here for a night. The rooms were £149 for a double, the room was basic and bland and no different from the express hotels but yet twice the price. We had a view of the back of the stadium. The breakfast was not included so if you want it it's an extra £8.50 per person (this was half price). We also paid £10.00 parking and a further £16.00 for 2 drinks on room service so if you include all of this it's the better part of £200 for a night here. The maid knocked on the door at 8.30 am and woke us. The only positive for this hotel is the location as it is right opposite the castle, Bute park with a river taxi to the bay and round the corner from the city centre shops, bar and restaurants.

Room Tip: Room at front to get views of the castle.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review , and for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Cardiff.

I am sorry that your stay was not to your expectations, and that you felt value for money was lacking.

Your comments are important feedback for us for future reference and I have taken them fully on board.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Spent four days here attending an AGM at St. David's Hall. The staff are excellent - every one of them was always smiling, polite and very helpful. The room was clean, big enough for two ladies sharing, and even had an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. The shower was one of the best I have experienced in any hotel and the towels lovely and fluffy and importantly, BIG enough to enable one to get dry! My friend needed extra pillows and they were delivered within minutes of her requesting them. I managed to disrupt the electronic safe and a lovely young man (AG) came and re-programmed it again for us. He also attended to our party in the dining room and found out from the chef which items on the menu were gluten-free for me. My only criticism and it is a small one, is that the choice of gluten-free food was very limited. For dessert I had the choice of sorbet or fruit salad every night - the berry sorbet was delicious but the lemon sorbet was incredibly sour. The fruit salad was mostly large chunks of apple, with small bits of melon (left over from the breakfast buffet I suspect) so by the fourth evening I decided not to bother with dessert! The other members of our party were able to enjoy delicious cheesecakes and gateaux and I did feel rather like a poor relation just because I have Coeliac disease. Many restaurants now have a choice of gluten free meals but the Holiday Inn chain seem to be a bit lax in this direction. Overall, however, the hotel facilities and the staff make this an ideal place to stay when visiting Cardiff. Across the road you can get a water taxi down the river to Cardiff Bay. Bute park is lovely and the castle magnificent. Also it's a short walk to the shops, market and the lovely civic buildings.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for you review and I am glad you had a great stay with us.

I have made careful note of your comment regarding gluten free desserts, and we shall certainly look in to this.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here for weekend away. Assessable from Bus train Station just 10 mins walk. We walked next to the river at side of Millennium Stadium. Scenic!!
Booked in small room though lovely and quiet we were on the third floor with view of Millennium Stadium and the River Taff. Lovely comfy double bed, with a choice of pillows. Tea/coffee facilities flat screen tv. Ironing board iron. Hair dryer. Plenty of electric sockets. Nice towels bath/ shower over it. We had breakfast included in price buffet style fry up, fruit, pancakes, cheeses, cold meats, cereals. Earplugs offered if needed we didn;t in our room. Opposite Cardiff castle and Bude park. Ideal we took the water bus to Cardiff bay £3 each.
5 minute walk to shops and the large array of bars/restaurants. Great weekend

Room Tip: We were in room 319 very quiet plus non smoking. EAST SIDE
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swivena

Thank you for your review, and I am so pleased you had such a lovely time staying with us.

It sounds like our fabulous breakfast was a big hit, and I do hope it is not too long before you are back and sampling it once more.

As an aside the room you were in was indeed a non smoking as are all of our rooms.

Thank you for your time in writing the review.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed at Holiday Inn City Center for 3 nights
in June... It is located about 1 mile
from Central Train station.
Cardiff City buses stop about
150 feet from Main entrance.
Cardiff Castle is right across the street
and Cardiff Millennium Stadium
is situated right behind the Hotel.
Breakfast is the regular, just average
Holiday in servings.
There is a Night Club on first floor that has
outside patio with loud music
on the weekends.. Club turns off
the Music at 10 pm..
Good location for walking
to City Center and Restaurants..

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the Stadium side of building so you do not hear traffic..Breakfast can be v...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CHICAGO049

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us.

I am glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Please be assured that we do not have a nightclub on the first floor, only a conference suite. Our pub - 'Callaghan's' on the ground floor did have a one off event that had speakers outside, this event will not be repeated, and I am sorry if there was any noise disturbance.

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night last weekend. We'd booked online a while ago, and got a great deal - £79 for dinner breakfast & bed. The dinner was 3 courses from a set menu which was plentiful and tasted great - only criticism was the ridiculous wait for dessert, it wasn't consistent with the rest of our meal so quite a disappointment.
Breakfast was also disappointing - full English items were lukewarm and not particularly tasty. Bread was slow in being restocked; pastries ran out and were not restocked; pancake maker wasn't out! Very disappointing experience.
The room itself was great. I was happy to find air conditioning on a warm day! It was a good sized family room, bed was comfy, all in all perfect for us.
The location of the hotel is perfect for anyone wanting to explore cardiff, with the castle being across the road, millenium stadium around the corner, everything within walking distance.
My only criticism was parking - I don't mind paying £10 but please stick a sign up showing where the car park entry is, we drove past and it ridiculously busy that day!
Overall, great hotel, hopefully the breakfast will improve.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank jb190281

I am glad that overall you had a great stay, however I am most sorry that your experience in breakfast was far from our normal standards.

Please be assured that I will use your comments in a constructive manner to feedback to the team on the shortfalls you have highlighted.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back, and chance to sample our breakfast as it should be and normally is.