“Excellent Hotel, great staff”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel, great staff”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is a great hotel in a great location. On one side you have Cardiff Castle and on the other side a certain rugby stadium! The receptionist that checked me in was probably one of THE best that I have ever come across, really friendly, cheerful and helpful and everything done with a smile. She is clearly a star in the making!
The hotel was very tidy, my room on the third floor overlooking the castle was large, warm, clean and very comfortable (so I don't think you could ask for much more!). Bathroom was a little small but very clean and functional.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a view of the castle, at the back they overlook the rugby ground.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for your review, and taking the time to highlight how much the team have made a difference to your stay.

I would be most grateful if you could drop me a line personally if you can recall the actual receptionist: richard.platts@ihg.com I can then ensure that she receives appropriate recognition.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Richard Platts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Hants, UK
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My partner and I stayed here as we had tickets to a rugby international at the Millenium Stadium. Pleasant and attentive staff on reception. We were lucky enough to have a room overlooking Bute Park and Cardiff Castle so a most attractive view from the window. The bed was a bit firm for my liking but the temperature in the room was good. There are hangers and draws provided which is a big plus as some hotels don't provide them now. I would have liked the towels to have been a bit thicker in the bathroom though. We had a meal in the restaurant which was nice. I thought the breakfast was a bit on the pricy side but it was ok. The waiting staff were nice. The housekeeping staff were friendly too. There is a car park at the hotel which is a big plus and reasonable at £10 per day. The position of the hotel is excellent if you are a rugby fan. I would stay here for my next visit next year.

Room Tip: Floors 5 and 6 at the front have the best views as they overlook the Park and Castle.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay for the recent Rugby weekend here in Cardiff.

It is nice to hear how the team looked after you and that the hotel facilities suited all your needs.

I do hope we have the pleasure of seeing you return in the near future.

General Manger
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Very hard to fault this hotel in any respect. Everything you'd expect in a chain hotel in the 3 star category and nothing was a hassle, took too long or was any problem for the friendly and accommodating staff. We even took their 4 feet high dragon for a photo-op with no more than a promise to bring him back. As it was an event weekend the hotel was busy or full but it did not feel that way. There were meal deals on offer and although we did not partake many other guests did and seemed to enjoy the fare. The location is perfect for the city centre, castle, Millenium Stadium and the river walk. Oh and the bars.

I was in a party of 8, all friends sharing 4 twin rooms. The value was reasonable and I think we paid £248 each for 3 nights (and booked fairly late) which included internet but not breakfast. The whole weekend was like a party and indeed a portable Guinness truck/bar was parked almost in the lobby on game day as well as fast food just feet away.

I am sure that the great weather and the match helped the vibe but our touch-points with staff over many minor things like a failed keycard; storing our bags from noon until evening after checkout, arranging taxis, printing our boarding passes (free), loan of St Patrick's day hats and a dragon etc plus general friendly helpful attitudes make me certain that this is a well run team and any visit to this great venue would be enhanced by a stay at the Cardiff centre Holiday In. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Most rooms look towards either the Castle and its grounds or directly at the Stadium and river walk...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks very much for your review and I am really glad you had such a great weekend with us for the rugby.

The atmosphere was superb on Saturday and great credit to all the Scottish fans who came down and contributed in such a positive manner as they always do.

I am eternally grateful that our mascot Dragon remained with us for the whole weekend, indeed there were a few jokes flying around that he would go up north if you guys beat the Welsh, sadly from your point of view that was not to be....

Thank you for all your comments about the team, it is nice that their passion for service was able to shine through on such a busy day.

We look forward to welcoming you all back in the future,

best regards

General Manger
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The standard rooms are very small and need updating with new bathroom suites needed too. Very expensive for rugby weekends. The location is perfect though. Didn't try any food at the hotel but did use the bar which was very busy but good.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

I am sorry that your expectation was not met with regard to your room, we do have a planned refurbishment of some rooms sections this year as part of our ongoing programme, so hopefully this will address some of the shortcomings you felt were present.

I am glad you had a good rugby weekend with us , and by the sound able to soak up the fantastic atmosphere here on Saturday.

Kind regards

Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Great hotel, very clean and helpful staff. Great location. Stayed on 6th floor, nice view of the park. Nearby shopping etc.
Only downfall is that wifi is not free. as an international visitor and someone on business, internet is important. But at a cost of 16 GBP per night is disheartening. Hence the 3 star rating.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review , and I am glad you found everything as it should be , but with one exception.

The WiFi is chargeable and the benefit is the excellent connectivity that is available, we also as a company are introducing free WiFi to all IHG Rewards Members from the summer, so being a member of our loyalty programme will deliver even more benefits which I am sure as an international traveller you will appreciate.

Kind regards

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I visit Cardiff regular and have stayed in lots of different hotels
I stay at the holiday inn Cardiff City centre and must say this is the best hotel I have stayed at in Cardiff. The hotel is very clean and the staff are first class.
On arrival you are welcomed by receptionists who are extremely polite and go out of their way to help you. The restaurant staff are really top of their profession and are the most helpful and polite staff you can meet. In the restaurant one girl really stands out ,and don't remember her name but believe she is probable polish .Her devotion to her job goes well above what is expected of her,she is so polite,helpful,she really makes you welcome and you really want to return over and over.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
I really quite like the title of your review...

Many thanks for taking the time to put down your thoughts on your recent stay, I am really pleased that the front of house team in reception and restaurant stood out in such a positive light.

I do hope we become your regular hotel when in Cardiff, and we look forward to welcoming you back on many occasions.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My 90 year old mum and I had a really pleasant overnight stay at this city centre hotel. Our room was very clean and comfortable and had a pleasant view of the park and castle!
On our arrival we parked easily in a disabled bay very near to the entrance and after getting cases out of the boot of the car I slammed it shut (thinking that my mum was standing behind me with her walking aid) there was a horrendous scream and her fingers were trapped! I am only relating this as the hotel reception staff were brilliant and quickly had mum sitting in reception with ice on fingers and drinking a glass of water. I was checked in ahead of the queue whilst another receptionist taped mum's fingers up! Luckily after a sweet cup of tea and a rest in our room we were able to go and see a wonderful performance of "Carmen" at The Gate Arts Centre and returned to our comfy room for a good nights sleep.
The next morning we enjoyed a delicious self-service breakfast with plenty of choices.
We often visit Cardiff where my son and daughter-in-law live and will certainly stay at this hotel again. (full marks to friendly efficient staff throughout hotel)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I do hope your mother has fully recovered now.

It sounds like the team did everything possible to comfort you mother and it is really kind for you to acknowledge this in your review.

I do hope there will be another performance soon that you wish to see and that we have the opportunity once more to welcome you back.