“Good value, excellent location”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The city centre location was very convenient for me, and the hotel was easy to find. One reason I chose the hotel was the car park, which was very good for a city centre hotel. The room was on the small side, but reasonable given the location. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The only meal I had was breakfast, which was good apart from the scrambled egg, which was quite horrible!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel, overlooking the car park should be quieter than the one I had which...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for your review, and choosing to stay with us when on business recently in Cardiff.

I am glad you found us good value and loved the location, and overall had a good stay , which our team aim to achieve for every guest.

We may have a little work to do re our scrambled eggs for your next visit, I am not sure why they were not up to the usual high standard, however please note for future we are happy to cook any items fresh to order, especially eggs if you do not wish to use the convenience of the buffet.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed in a holiday inn in London and it was far nicer than this one. We arrived at 5pm after quite a long day of travelling and visiting friends so were quite tired and in need of a freshen up. The young girl that 'greeted' us wasn't particularly pleasant. After asking for our name she picked up the telephone and asked (after sighing) if an executive room was available (the room was suppose to be available to us from 2pm, so its a good job we arrived 3 hours later as it was only just ready), she made another call asking if room 601 was available, I guess this was suppose to be an executive room and sent us on our way, no smile, no friendliness, she was just rude. I did actually see her leave the building about 20 minutes after that so I guess it was at the end of her shift, but still.

The room was below standard, even to a premier inn, it was a bit outdated and not overly clean. The bathroom was small, badly equipped and just in need of a bit of love and care, it needs an update badly. We stayed at the front of the building, on the main street on the top floor and it was incredibly noisy from about 0630 onwards.

The bar area is OK, the staff there are much friendlier. We didn't bother with breakfast as I just didn't trust the Kitchen.

Its about a 10 minute walk to the main high street and there are plenty of hotels closer to the shops and the CIA. I wouldn't stay here again but when you don't know the area you just trust your previous experiences but I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

I am really sorry that your first impression of our team was as you describe, this is most unusual as usually our comments about the team are always positive which they pride themselves in.

However on this occasion we have let ourselves down and my apologies to you for that.

With regard the room, we have our executive rooms planned for refurbishment this autumn, and I am sure the work we have planned will address the issues you have highlighted.

Thank you for your review, and once again my apologies that your experience was below the high standard that this team normally delivers.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Yet again a lovely stay in a holiday inn wonderful breakfast comfortable rooms the only downside no drawer space in bedroom very central to city centre didn't have to get in car at all. I will always try to find a holiday inn when doing inland holidays

Room Tip: No preference
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay and that you always find what you need with Holiday Inn.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back next time Cardiff is on your agenda.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here numerous times due to business requirements, the rooms are small, AC is basic, shower unit sporadic temp, trouser press in functional. The staff are friendly although English is obviously not their first language, food is average and the car park is an added bonus. A typical city center hotel, just don't pay too much.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your repeated custom, I am really pleased to note you have returned many times to stay with us.

Your observations as all our reviews are helpful in assisting us keep our service and standards high, and I thank you for taking the time to assist us in this way.

Please do contact me on your next planned visit personally at :richard.platts@ihg.com - I would be grateful for the opportunity to look after the arrangement of you booking.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great location next to Millenium Stadium and bar and clubs. Friendly helpful staff and good service. Bar prices typical city centre Hotel and breakfast plentiful. Rooms clean and good views Great venue for a conference.One word of warning - avoid a day when a wedding is taking place - the noise level was higher than the Arms Park next door on a match day. Usual complaint about Wi Fi (£5 hour) but free computers in lobby

Room Tip: Get as high as possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing us when staying in Cardiff recently, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the team here friendly and helpful.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here for one night and had room 518 on the fifth floor. The room was pretty small (no bedside table on one side, which was a bit of a pain) but it was clean and it had a great view. The bathroom was tiny but functional. I'm not sure we'd have been impressed if we'd paid the full price as advertised in the hotel lobby, but we booked through a comparison website, so we got a great deal and the location was perfect.

We had drinks in the bar last night and breakfast this morning and all the staff we encountered throughout our stay were very nice. We did have two occasions when the cleaning staff entered our room without knocking (one just after we arrived who just said sorry and disappeared quickly, and one this morning who asked us what time we'd be vacating our room) - it would have been politer if they'd knocked first - but we mentioned it to the reception desk and they gave us free parking by way of compensation, which was nice of them.

Room Tip: Room 518 has a lovely view but is quite small. We were near the lift which we were a bit worried ab...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for selecting our hotel when visiting Cardiff recently, and I am glad you found the staff pleasant and helpful.

Thank you for your observations, I am sorry that you were disturbed , however moving forward we can ensure the team are re briefed when checking guest rooms, I do hope this did not detract from your stay too much.

Thank you for your comments, and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for three nights whilst attending a conference based at the hotel. The staff could not be faulted .The rooms are spacious and clean.Breakfast was excellent in content ,variety and quality .
The only negative was the price of the wifi which was expensive normally I would not chose to stay anywhere that does not have free access to the internet .

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kathyIsleOfMan

Thank you or your review and I am glad you had an enjoyable experience for your recent business trip.
I am especially glad that the teams positive attitude showed through and made a lasting impression.
I have noted your comments regarding Wifi as feedback regarding this is very important to us moving forward in this area.

kind regard