“A good all rounder”

Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Brisbane, Australia
“A good all rounder”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is an all rounder, it has everything you need for a comfortable nights sleep. The breakfast is a very generous buffet. The hotel could do with a coin operated laundry room as the laundry service is a pretty steep. It is well located within walking distance to the city centre and Cardiff Castle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and choosing us to stay with during your recent visit to Cardiff.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and have noted your suggestion re the laundry.

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your stay, and I hope you choose us again if in Cardiff.

Richard Platts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Goulburn, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Staff were extremely friendly, very clean rooms and the breakfast there was excellent. Even had a pancake machine ;) so I would defiantly suggest staying there also the location is right in the centre of town across the road from the castle.

• Stayed June 2013
We think our hotel is a 'Fantastic Place' too!!

Thank you for your review and I am glad you found the team so friendly and had a great breakfast to finish off.

We hope to look after you again soon

Blackpool
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay.
An excellent stay,good location,and very helpfull and friendly staff.
A really well managed hotel.
Our fourth visit to this hotel and would certainly return,we just can't fault it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your continued custom in our hotel.

I am really glad that you always find everything that you need, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Paignton, Devon
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was a last minute booking really as had tickets for Rihanna concert at the Millennium Stadium which is a 5 minute walk away. Therefore I probably paid over the odds but on the plus side there was nothing to pay for taxis!! Hotel itself was clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Great beds, very comfortable indeed and bedroom had all the space we required for clothing and just chilling out. Bathroom was very small indeed but at the end of the day for a 1 night stay this was OK, however if you are staying for longer then I think the small bathroom would really get on your nerves! Had a drink in the bar after the concert, reasonable prices for a city centre establishment. Just a quick word about reception who were very busy when we arrived - travellers please note that you are no more important than the person that reception are dealing with in front of you, so if you have to wait a bit then WAIT!!

Room Tip: We were right at the front of the hotel but as this was on a week night and we had the window open a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response, and choosing us for your recent stay in Cardiff.

I am glad you had a good time and found everything to your liking.

It was a great atmosphere in the city when the Rhianna concert was on and it sounds like you had a super time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for one night for bon jovi concert. Car park was full when we arrived but found 24 hour car park just before the hotel next to the millennium stadium. Easy walking distance to the city stadium and shopping centre. Hotel was clean and staff helpful. Breakfast was perfect! We would definitely stay again when visiting cardiff.

1 Thank Janywany
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am really glad you had a great time here in Cardiff whilst at the recent Bon Jovi concert.

It was nice to hear that you found the hotel up to its usual high standards and the team to be helpful.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future , be it a city event or indeed a leisure stay in this wonderful city.

General Manger
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for two nights as we went to watch Bon Jovi. From check in to check out the whole experience was a nightmare and I will never be visiting another Holiday Inn again! Waiting at reception to check in and the receptionist thought it would be more appropriate to answer a phone call than deal with waiting guests, the fact that there was another colleague floating about behind the desk at the time annoyed me as they could have quite easily answered the phone. No apology for keeping us waiting either which is a basic customer service requirement in my eyes! We booked a superior room for both nights (which they actually call an Executive room!), well trust me there is nothing executive about these rooms!! The most unhygienic hotel I have ever stayed in, hairs in the beds, on the bathroom walls, cobwebs, dust, a shower that doesn't drain properly so your standing in the water, a kettle that leaks, rude reception staff, rude cleaners, over priced shabby rooms with carpets that are very tired and a hotel that extorts money out of their customers! We complained and spoke to Alison the duty manager who agreed to move us to a double room as the rooms had been updated. We were quite shocked to see that the room and bed were both bigger than the executive room we had, and the only difference from a double to an exec room is bath robes, two bottles of water, one chocolate bar, a few extra toiletries and a bigger TV! So we asked the duty manager how much the room she was showing us cost. Quite a simple question I would think but you would think we were asking how much it was to fly to the moon and back! "I can't give you a price of a double room as our hotel is fully booked"! That along with the fact that this room was just as filthy as the previous one as we found yet more hairs on the bed, infuriated us to request the room to be re cleaned and we wanted to speak to the General Manager! This appointment was made with Mr Platts PA for 11.30am the following morning, 22 hours notice! I returned after watching Bon Jovi to discover more hairs in the bed and hairs on the walls in the bathroom! DISGUSTING!!!! We waited until the following morning to speak to Mr Platts and guess what, he didn't turn up! Apparently stuck in traffic after returning from a meeting in London!? Well Alison had told us that he had been in a meeting just over the bridge in Bristol. Either someone is lying or the General Manager doesn't like dealing with his dissatisfied guests! To top it off he sent his PA to meet with us! How stupid can you get!?
I did get an entire refund which I requested but again I was made to wait whilst the PA and two receptionists debated over whether or not they could refund the money onto a different card than the one i had paid with. I explained this was because I had a new bank card and no longer had the old one, (I had booked it 3 months earlier). We were also offered complimentary breakfast. Considering they can't even provide clean rooms I wasn't going to run the risk of eating their food, who knows what we would of found!
Please do not stay in this hotel!

4 Thank H_Hartness
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

I would be happy to discuss the contents of your review personally, if you wish.

My email is richard.platts@ihg.com, if you would kindly indicate a suitable contact number I will be happy to call you.

regards

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel and location.

Stayed whilst in Cardiff to watch icc cricket. Slightly disappointed with pillow and mattress but adequate for a nights kip.

They do a blinding breakfast. Best hotel breakfast I've had in years!

1 Thank JayPaaji

I am really glad you had a good stay and enjoyed your breakfast so much.

I appreciate your comments regarding the pillows and mattress, we will certainly look in to this.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.