“Staff were excellent and breakfast in our B&B deal made this a fantastic stay. Sting like way too many centrally located hotels ”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Great rooms and you might be lucky to get a Cardiff castle view (you'll need a room on the 5th or 6th floor... numbers 504-510 or 604-610)

If you get breakfast, it's pretty substantial if you want it. Cooked English, loads of fruit, yoghurt, breads, cereals, cakes and pancakes choices. I was surprised... making it more 4 star on breakfast alone. Fill up you won't need to eat until supper time.

Biggest bugbear by our friends was everyone complaining about WiFi charges. Even computers in the lobby weren't free yet Novotel chain we'd recently stayed in at least put 2 public use PCs in their lobby, free of charge. Not this place.

I pointed out this was not unique to this hotel chain and to seek out travel forums to whinge about this now huge world wide annoyance when rooms aren't cheap; but coffee shops, fast food chains give this WiFi free with a coffee, so why not free with high price B&B rate mid range hotels ?

Yeap Holiday Inn chain is like other high end hotel chains charging extortionate amounts for WiFi. Two friends compare this to charging for showering. With their laptops they consider WiFi a business essential now.

Our room was good, albeit bathroom tiling a little tired but room newly refurbished. Very Welsh accented receptionist staff we're great.

VALUE is only marked higher as we got a good B&B deal.Without a good deal it would a very expensive stay so your expectations might be higher especially to be charged for parking & Wi-Fi. I was just happy breakfast more than made up for things.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank OpenmindedAngel
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am glad that the overall value and staff made a great impression.

Of course feedback re the WiFi is helpful, and certainly we shall ensure your comments are communicated during our ongoing review process regarding our WiFi.

Thanks once again for your comments and indeed choosing our hotel to stay in when in Cardiff.

Richard Platts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for business purposes. The main plus of this hotel is its location, as it's right in the centre. The staff are all helpful, polite and friendly, which is to the hotel's credit, and the place is clean.

That's about as positive as I can get.

Why? Because if I'd paid to stay here, I'd have felt ripped off. My room, although clean and adequate, was no better quality in terms of fixtures and fittings than a Premier Inn. The bathroom was cramped, dated and didn't even have a proper shower over the bath. The water pressure wasn't brilliant, either.

Having to pay for wifi and parking - and premium prices too - is nothing short of criminal for guests who'd already paid Holiday Inn's room rates. There are plenty of hotels of an equivalent finish which offer free parking.

We had dinner in a conference room. We weren't given any choices and the food was largely dry and inspriring. Breakfast was better, though not significantly so.

If I were to be staying in Cardiff for pleasure, I'd save my money and stay elsewhere.

2 Thank CinnamonGirl78
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments about our team.

I am sorry you felt the value was not what it should have been, we always aim to place good value realistic competitive pricing in what ever we do.

Reading your review regarding the dining, the only time we have used a conference room for dinner were for set conference dinners , in which the organisers opted for a set menu choice in advance. My apologies that the quality was not what it should of been for your meal.

I am sorry these aspects left a negative impression, as well as the car park charges, which on checking was largely in line or under our competitors.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed with my wife for one night in this hotel and was not disappointed.
The double room was spacious, clean and had all amenities. The hotel itself was very clean. The staff very friendly and the restaurant was excellent, with very attentive but unobtrusive staff.
Situated right next to Cardiff Arms Park, with hte castle across the road, it is in a very convenient location.

Room Tip: If I had one thing to 'moan' about it is that there is no free parking. £10 per day is the n...
2 Thank Spiritualists
Lovely to read how well the team have come across and provided great service while you were here.

We have a fabulous city and our position is perfect to enjoy it from, I am really glad you enjoyed your time with us and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have travelled to Cardiff on business several times and this is my favourite of the hotels I am put in. It's location cannot be beaten right opposite the castle and Bute park where you can take a great walk beside the river. The service at the hotel is always friendly and helpful and the rooms clean and tidy. The buffet breakfast is always good. My main gripe is the cost of the Wifi which is prohibitive (and I do think they could run to a biscuit with the tea and coffee making facilities in teh room ).

Room Tip: I always ask for a room facing the castle as I like the view but a high floor is good so you get les...
1 Thank Bullykitten
We are really glad to be your favourite when visiting Cardiff, I have taken note of your comments and will raise the points as I do with all customer feedback.

Really glad to see how well the team are rated in your review, I shall pass on your kind words.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Southampton
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed here twice now, both times we parked easily and were able to check in early. We had a room overlooking the river and stadium ( and car park) which was quite nice but towards the front I'd imagine there could be nice castle views.

Breakfast was a little disorganised but more than adequate fare.

Room was nothing special, but clean and comfortable, perfect for a short break.

Within 5 minutes you have shops, bars, stadium, river, castle and parks- what more could you ask for a location!

Often there are some good deals to be had here, highly recommended if you can get a good deal. If you want a little more luxury I'd look at Park Plaza or Holland House.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, and indeed choosing to come back and stay with us again.

Customer comments are always valuable in our journey as a team to deliver a great customer experience, and yours will assist us in this process.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back on your next visit to Cardiff

Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

A typical Holiday Inn offering, which we rely on as we use them whenever we can. Clean, comfortable bed (two singles zipped together to give Super King Size!!) and all the usual amenities. My only adverse comment would be that the bar and restaurant were a tad on the cool side on the evening we spent there. Great view over Bute Park and Cardiff Castle from our bedroom window on the 3rd floor facing onto Castle Street. The Millenium Stadium is right behind the Hotel so it is probably noisy on match and gig nights. The breakfast was, as ever, very good with plenty of choice and tea and coffee refreshed by helpful staff. We chose to have the Indian buffet on the evening that we ate there and it was excellent value for 2 courses, including a drink each, at £14.95. Easy to walk to most of the City Centre from this hotel and car parking on site.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us , and post your review on here.

I am glad you had a great stay and the team looked after you so well, coupled with some good value offers, it sounds like you had a good time.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hook, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed at the hotel on the weekend of the 1st march for my friends stag weekend. A nice clean well maintained hotel, we never dined at the hotel. But for location and comfort for a good nights sleep (which wasn't much due to the late night partying) perfect for everything Cardiff has to throw at you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
I am glad that you have recovered from seeing the social highlights of Cardiff to post your review, and it was nice to note you had a good time.

I wish your friend all the best in his upcoming marriage celebrations.

General Manager.