“Perfect location for a great weekend stay”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Brisbane, Australia
“Perfect location for a great weekend stay”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Holiday Inns aren’t a chain Australian’s have much exposure to. To be honest, we didn’t expect much in Cardiff, especially considering the rate we paid. Gee were we surprised.

We stayed at the hotel over the weekend of Cardiff Mardi Gras. The location for attendance at that event could not have been better – literally straight across the road. But it was a great location for exploring Cardiff regardless. If you attending football or rugby at Millennium Stadium or Cardiff Arms Park they are right behind the hotel.

Nice staff on reception, easy check in as all of my details are registered with ICH as a Priority Rewards member. Car parking is available out behind the hotel in an open air carpark. Price appeared to be 10 GBP/day. More about that later.

Opened the door to room 403 and both of us went WOW! The room was huge, maybe they are big at all Holiday Inns? Maybe we were upgraded? If we were we weren't told. Then we saw the view. Straight across at Bute Park (with Coopers Fields through the trees) and even up to Cardiff Castle and along the walls. Terrific.

We left the Mardi Gras, very much worse for wear when it finished, so we can’t comment if much noise came into the hotel, but we experienced no road or any other noise issues in the room.

We didn’t book a bed and breakfast rate as we didn’t know if we’d make it on morning one. We can now see there would have been no point bothering as a full breakfast buffet was only GBP7.50 each. Fantastic value for a great spread. Then there’s the really friendly Welsh staff in the restaurant. It’s a nice bright airy room as well.

We tried a couple of the bars, again nice spaces with friendly staff.

Purchased the ‘all-in-one’ internet and movie package on the second day. Great value as we were in a movie mood the second night. After watching two first release movies the internet was free!

To ice the cake, when we checked out we paid at reception for parking (the ticket machine wasn't working) and it was only GBP10 for all weekend – Friday afternoon to Monday morning!!

Can’t recommend the Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre enough.

Room Tip: We had room 403. Ask for it if you can, it was great.
1 Thank pandaboys
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I am so glad you had such a great stay with us, I shall pass on your kind remarks to the team, who obviously made your stay complete in addition to the super facilities we have.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future hopefully.

Richard Platts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

It is the only hotel that I have stayed in where you could control the room lighting by opening and clossing the draws to the unit under the telivsion. Made a complaint and nothing was done it became very amusing to all the poeople in my group. The room in question was no. 301 so make sure you do not book this one. The bathroom was so small that you could trip over toilet and end up in the bath. There appeared to be no thougt in the design of thespace and safety .I only hope that all the Holiday Inns are not of all the same design and problems.

Room Tip: Do not have room 301.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Williamfells
I am sorry that you experienced an issue with your room lights, we did during your stay however check that everything was working, which at the time of checking it was, and left a note to that effect. Please be assured that everything in the room is functioning as it should.

Many thanks of bringing this to our attention, and I am sorry that it detracted form your stay.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Grim, tiny room with dented and chipped heavily revarnished furniture and stained grimy carpet. Looks like something out of the 1970s, as it would be today.

Bathroom is better than the main room, but only just. See attached photos.

Unfortunately as a business booking I can't alter anything but I will be forwarding my concerns on to my head of department and I certainly won't be staying here for personal reasons if ever the need came.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank orcomma
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I am really sorry you did not find our facilities to the usual high standard.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on richard.platts@ihg.com so I may take up these matters and ensure they are addressed.

My apologies once again, and thank you for drawing these to my attention.

I look forward to hearing form you so I may take positive action on your comments.

Belfast, N.Ireland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location beside the stadia and close to shops, city centre, castle and university. Room was clean and fine, if a little small for a double bed for two people. Great for a single business person. Breakfast was fine with good selection. Car park very handy but, could be filled very fast when events on at the Arms Park or the Millenium. We saw people going to the match parking while guests then had no space. You could easily use the carpark as a city parking area. Staff pleasant and helpful. Would happily return

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, especially regarding the match parking, we will be able to monitor this moving forward to ensure space is left as it should be for guests of the hotel.

As many others it is nice to see how you combined the great location we have with all our facilities to make your stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I travel frequently for business, and this would have to be the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed at. Special mention to Richard on night shift for cheering me up when I had jetlag/insomnia and Sam in the mornings for helping with all my various travel issues. All the staff really went out of their way to remember my name, greet me with a smile, and to help me when needed. Food was delicious with a great brekky buffet, rooms were clean, modern and well equipped, and the location is right in the centre of everything with views of the castle and millenium stadium. Literally 5 minute walk to the centre of town. As a smoker I was thrilled to find there was even a seat and shelter in the outside smoking area - something most hotels don't seem to bother about these days. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel - staying here really did make my stay in Cardiff just perfect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
It is so nice when team members have gone out of their way to enhance your stay, we have thanked Sam and Richard individually for their efforts. I do hope you have cause to visit Cardiff again soon and we can have opportunity to welcome you back .

west wales
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed for one night whilst attending gig in Motorpoint arena. Very central with 5 mins walk to city centre and shops. Right next door to Millenium Stadium or Cardiff Blues rugby ground. Could have even watched game from our bedroom window. Despite being so central it was very quiet and easy to park. Parking reasonably priced.
Room was very clean and bed comfortable. Bathroom was very small but adequate.
Our only gripe and if we had realised earlier would have requested moving rooms. We were on the top floor and in an end room (room 609). This happend to be next to service lift which started up at about 7.30am and periodically the generator sound could be heard. This meant that there was no Saturday morning lie in!. Breakfast was well worth getting up for. Great hot and cold food selection and staff were very friendly and helpful.
This was great value for money and we would would stay again. One of the city centre better value hotels compared to others that we have stayed in.

Room Tip: make sure it is away from service lift! Rear rooms have good view of Arms park if you want to watch...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

My apologies the lift started operation so early. We will review policy for its usage in the morning on the back of this feedback.

It was nice to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and the team looked after you so well.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

kind regards

Plymouth, England
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in June for my hen weekend and it was the perfect location.

A short walk from the train station, we were able to leave our bags there during the day while we were out and about.

The rooms were clean and tidy and the location was perfect for getting around Cardiff. The bar was pretty expensive though as in most hotels.

I didnt have any breakfast but some of the girls who did said it was worth the money!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response from your recent stay, I am glad you found all our facilities as they should have been and enjoyed your break. A shame you missed our breakfast, your friends are right it is really good! Maybe next time. We hope to see you again soon.

kind regards