“The Best Kept secret in Wales..!”
Review of Ibis Cardiff Gate

Ibis Cardiff Gate
Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sussex
“The Best Kept secret in Wales..!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The best kept secret in Wales, you read...? Hell, yes! I stopped here last night, with my husband. We had pre-booked on the internet for £29. Very Close to the Motorway, so you won't get lost trying to find it. But, I REALLY mean this...You will NOT hear the traffic. :)
The hotel is Clean and spacious. For a motorway stop, you don't expect a cafe area and a pool table downstairs. The room (220) over looked where we'd parked our vehicle (handy for safety) and the room was clean and spacious with a wonderful large shower in the gorgeous on suite. The staff were friendly and helpful (bringing us extra pillows within minutes of requesting them- Thanks, Daniel!) I am so Amazed and Impressed with this little gem. So, what's the best kept secret in Wales? The bed. I SO wanted to take it home with me! Memory sprung foam... to die for! Oh, Yes - there's free tea and coffee, too. The only thing they could do to improve this little gem, would be to add some cotton wool balls in the on suite. Us girls, don't like taking wet flannels home, so a wee few cotton wool balls, would definitely be a handy touch. Travelers reading this before booking - please note, there is a Toby Carvery just off the roundabout by the exit (easily walkable) probably far better, than the lousy Burger King at this services (and I love Burger King, but this one was the worst) nothing to do with the hotel, but if it had been good, then the whole trip would of been perfect. Hope this helps, someone. :)

Room Tip: 220 was on the first floor, overlooking the car park! Avoid Burger King opposite, (I usually love BK...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cardiffgate, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Traveller SussexLadyT,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Cardif Gate. I am glad you found our hotel so comfortable and convenient. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Best Wishes
Daniel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed April 7, 2013

If all you need is somewhereto sleep then it would be hard to beat this for value. Book early for the best price. We paid under 30 pounds for a night over Easter. The service at reception wasn't great - seemed to be only one person trying to do everything. But our room was spacious enough with queen size bed 2 chairs and a small table. Tea/coffee making facilities and a nice ensuite as well.but no shampoo or conditioner. Wifi available but we didnt try it. Very handy to the motorway at a services centre which also had Waitrose WH Smith Costa & Burger King. Basic meals available at the hotel but I recommend Toby's Cavery just 200m or so down the road. Breakfast at £7.50 was too pricey for us to bother with.

2 Thank Nick C
Dear Nick C,
Thank you for your comments regardign stay at Ibis Cardiff Gate I endeavour to use such feedback constructively. Feedback such as yours that highlights areas where we could be doing better is particularly useful and we are grateful for you time in sharing your experience with us. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Cardiff Gate.
Best Wishes, Daniel
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have stayed here several times. It is always clean, with extremely comfortable beds. The hotel is just off the motorway but no traffic noise. Staff always willing to provide additional towels and pillows.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Cardiffgate, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Traveller Anonymous123122,
I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Cardiff Gate. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
hank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Best Regards
East Molesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Very impressed with this hotel. Was not expecting much as I only paid £35 but the service was excellent. Rooms clean and quiet, free tea or coffee, beds clean and comfortable and we slept well. Would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Traveller 878DavidW878
Thank you for kindly taking the time to share your comments with us, following your recent stay at Ibis Cardiff Gate. I will share your comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back. Best Regards
Djibouti, Djibouti
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is acceptable but not exceptional. I came across it by accident when I pulled in to go on line to find accommodation - Spooky! If there was a 'good' between average and very good then that is what I would have chosen.

I didn't feel that it was great value for money.

From the outside one had a feeling that it was prison-like with a daunting fence around it with very poor signage, I think, if I had actually been looking for it I might have struggled to find it.

Once inside the receptionist was very pleasant.

The room was OK but a little tired and in need of decoration. The television reception was not very good and there were only a few channels, I think somebody needs to explain that freeview is free and available nationwide (I think).

Now for the bad part, internet, very good coverage from Orange (France) which was on special offer if you paid for 24 hours usage at nearly 10 Euros. Shocking!

The bed was very comfortable.

The teaspoons were plastic! There was cigarette ash in the window frame.

Breakfast was buffet style, charged extra. The hot choices were limited to scrambled egg, bacon, beans and sausage.

The manager seemed to be on hand most of the time and all the staff were friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Traveller Dimelord,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Hotel Cardiff Gate. We welcome all feedback that we receive from our guests and will endeavour to use such feedback constructively. Best Wishes.
Daniel (General Manager)
Guildford, Surrey, England
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here over Easter weekend on one of their special deals, so paid £28 for double room. At that price it is very good - plenty of free parking on site, rooms a good size, bed comfortable, room clean and includes tea/coffee/kettle.

Minor downsides - average TV reception, not enough pillows provided although this was immediately rectified on asking at reception.

Excellent value hotel and very convenient for P+R into Cardiff.

Dear Traveller Bracknellcrew,
I really appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Hotel Cardiff Gate. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back.
Best Wishes.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here over the Easter weekend and it's a perfectly good budget hotel. It was clean, tidy and the staff were happy to help - we wanted more pillows and milk and it wasn't a problem for them. Everything seemed pretty well presented (I think the place probably needs a refurb within the next couple of years). Location was fine - by the motorway exit, noise wasn't a problem either. On the whole, I'd say if you get a deal at about £20 - £30 per night, then its fine. Any more than that, I'd probably pass. Parking was fine, it had its own little fenced of parking.

Dear Mike B,
I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Hotel Cardiff Gate. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with my team.
I look forward to welcoming you back. Best Wishes.