“Reasionanly priced accomodation”

Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 22, 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Reviewed August 20, 2014

My second visit to this hotel. The first was 6 years ago and the hotel and its rooms have been refurbished, except for the bedroom carpet. Elsewhere Ibis have got rid of carpets and the one in my room at Cardiff was past its best, and with several stains. The new beds are very comfortable and I had two good nights sleep. The bathroom is Ibis standard and everything worked. The staff were welcoming and pleasant and the breakfast offered a good range of hot and cold items and is very good value for money. The hotel is well situated, 5 minutes walk to Queen Street station with frequent trains to the valleys and Cardiff Bay as well as to the main station and the resorts of Barry Island and Penarth. Numerous buses pass the hotel. The main shopping street is also 5 minutes walk away and there are numerous cafes and restaurants in the area. Recommended to others as a good budget hotel.

Room Tip: A bit of road noise on the west side but not enough to disturb.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo

Dear 'Trevor 0510'. Many thanks for taking you time and leaving your thougths on here. I am glad that you had a good night sleep in our Sweet Bed by Ibis. I also noted your comments regaring carpet. Thank you for letting me know. Me and my Team would be happy to welcome you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed August 18, 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here and the customer service was just as good as what it was last time. We brought the car this time and were pleasantly surprised that it was only £6.10 for 24hrs. Be aware though that the car park they recommend is not attached to the hotel and is a fair walk away. The car seemed secure though which was reassuring.
We were offered to book breakfast but not pressurized although I did wish that I had the following morning because it all smelt lovely.
This hotel continues to be a good choice for an overnight stay if you're off out for a meal/clubbing/concert etc however don't expect too much romantic ambience.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear 'Rhiannon J'. Thank you for your time and leaving your feedback on here. I am very happy to hear that customer service met your expectaions. Please note that you can order breakfast on the day should you change your mind. Me and my Team will be happy to assist you during your next visit. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed in the Ibis at the beginning of the year to watch Wales v Italy rugby match. I like in Whitchurch myself but fancied a few drinks and decided too book here. Cheap and cheerful for one night. Nothing special but only wanted somewhere to rest my headd for a few hours after drinking all night!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear 'Mark P', many thanks for your feedback. I am glad that you had a good time in Cardiff and I hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed August 14, 2014

A group of us stayed at the Ibis Cardiff over a weekend to celebrate my Fiancé's 21st birthday. The hotels location is ideal. Opposite the motor point arena and within walking distance of the city centre with all it's shops and nightlife.

The staff on reception were fantastic and we couldn't fault them, however, the quality of the rooms and the quality of the stay was not great.

Although me and my partner found out bed comfy, others in our group did not. It turned put we had a mattress topper, whereas they didn't. This shows the sense of inconsistency int he rooms. Not only this, but in one of the rooms there were blood stains on the sheets! To be fair to the hotel, within 5 mins, these were changed, but they should never have been set in there first place!

Also, on the morning after our final night, we had three knocks at the door from the housekeeping staff. At half 8, half 9 and half 10! On two of these occasions, they walked in despite us shouting for them to wait. Considering checkout wasn't until 12, you would have thought they would wait for us to check out before they attempt to clean the rooms? This was quite an annoyance.

The rooms were also very dated. The reason I say this is not value for money is because , for a little more than £10-20 more a night, you can stay in a 4 star, modern hotel just down the road (see my other reviews). Trust me, there is a big difference and it's worth the money.

Although the hotel did the job, it is not worth the money we paid. I know it is a budget hotel, but when you compare prices, it is not a budget price. I would recommend staying in the Radisson Blu hire just down the road. A little more expensive but high quality in all aspects!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luke S
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear 'luke S'. Thank you very much for your feedback. I noted your comments regarding housekeeping and decoration. Please accept my sincere apologies. Thank you for letting me know, so I can now go back and speak to the team on duty. I hope to welcome you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Staying at the Ibis hotel for a couple of nights. Great location: across the road from the motorpoint arena, close to lots of bars/ restaurants and walking distance to the city and train station. Lovely welcome, clean bathroom pod, comfy beds, little noisy next to the trainline but also a shame the cleaners can't make the bed to an exceptable standard; let alone take a hairbrush out of the bed before making it (not impressed). An otherwise acceptable stay.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear 'nmorgan91'. Thank you very much for your comments. I am happy that you found our Team to be welcoming and enjoyed sleep in our Sweet Bed by Ibis. I noted your comments regarding housekeeping. Thank you for letting me know so I can now go back and speak to them in person. I hope you will give us a chance to welcome you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Paid £189 for 3 nights in a city centre isn't too bad I don't think. The hotel was easy to get to (I drove) and though I didn't go shopping didn't seem to far from the central shops. Parking was available at an NCP round the corner at £6 for 24 hours. Though dropping bags off before hand is a nightmare as there is only a very small double yellow bay at the front, not ideal. The room was clean and comfy with hair dryer and tea and coffee facilities and a plug by the bed!! The hotel certainly wasn't anything fancy but was fine to sleep in (wouldn't want to spend much more time in there). Would be great if they could put a bin in the room as well as the bathroom and maybe describe their good better. I ordered a tuna melt which came FULL of sweetcorn which I hate!!!
Overall good base to sleep at but wouldn't recommend for long periods of time

Stayed: August 2014

Dear 'Born_yorkshire', Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel facilities. I was sorry to hear that you did not like our tuna melt. Thank you for this comment. I will pass it to our Food and Beverage Team. I hope to see you back in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek