“Good location, but no wifi”
Review of Ibis Cardiff

Ibis Cardiff
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the Ibis Central for a few days while in Cardiff for a conference. The room was clean and spacious at a very reasonable price. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - and I think that makes a real difference when you're travelling. I opted for the buffet breakfast and there was plenty of choice on offer. I could walk just about anywhere I needed to go from this location, so it was extremely convenient. On the downside, I was on Floor 2, so the train line was pretty much level with my window - a bit disconcerting! The towels could have been fresher. I had a stained one to begin with and they just smelt a bit musty. And on the weekend the hotel got a bit rowdy with a party crowd.
My biggest criticism is the lack of wifi. I was working, so I needed internet access. Thankfully, I brought my laptop and the reception staff gave me a cable to hook this up to the digital TV box, but this wasn't long enough to be near a powerpoint. At about £9 for 24 hours, this access isn't cheap either. If I'd only had my iPad with me, I would have been in big trouble.
I think this hotel is probably good for holiday accommodation, but for a work trip, this lack of wireless makes life pretty complicated.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank agent4077
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear 'agent4077', thank you very much for taking your time and writing your review on here. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Please note that we are working on providing FREE WI FI for our guests and that should be available in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Hotel is right across the road from the Motorpoint Arena. 2 mins walk from Queen Street station. Five minute walk from centre. Room was clean with a comfortable bed. I asked for another pillow and was given one immediately. Room looked onto the railway line but when window was closed you didn't hear anything. Room was soundproofed which was great since there was a group of girls along corridor who had music blaring and lots of noise but once I closed my door I couldn't hear anything. Staff were very pleasant. No parking at hotel. I was directed to multi storey about 5 minutes away. Charge was £5 per 24 hours which was very reasonable. Didn't sample any food at the hotel as there are stacks of cafes, bars and restaurants in the vicinity. Would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear 'fanjita', many thanks for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Ibis - and the whole Accor chain - has been reliable for years of business travelling. Staff are well trained and friendly, the hotels are always clean and comfortable.
The Cardiff Ibis is in a great location; I must have stayed 100 times in the past decade.
But Nescafe coffee? Really, this is bad - I mean, it's bad coffee anyway. And it's not Fairtrade. And it's Nestle!
I take my own, and the nasty Nescafe sachets get binned as soon as I get into the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear 'RedLynne', thank you very much for your time and leaving your thoughts on here. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Please note that we have got choice of coffee at the bar and it is a fairtrade coffee too. We look forward to another decade with you. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed May 19, 2013

It's been a little while since I stayed at this hotel, the staff are really friendly check in took minutes only which is always a bonus! The beds have been refurbished and must admit spent a reallu comfortable night! We were on the third floor so well above the level of noise arising from the traffic. The rooms are clean and spacious, if anything the TV is a little small but appreciate not there to watch TV. The bathroom had a strange odour which I can only assume was arising from the shower waste pipe which did go away after using the shower, however it was spotlessly clean and I would not let it put me off staying again.

The hotel was quiet at night which can sometimes be a problem not to mention one which I stayed at in St Mary's Street which was over some bars and night clubs and best avoided unless you are a late night reveller yourself. The Ibis by comparision was peaceful at all times. Certainly one to use again!

Room Tip: A high level room will ensure you are well above the noise from the busy road outside!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear 'Commz'. Thank you very much for your time and writing this review. It is always a pleasure to receive a positive feedback and I am sure that your words will encourage my Team to work even harder. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay but was sorry to hear about the bad smell from the drains. Please note that we do operate 24 reception on duty that is here to help you all day and night. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went for a night out in Cardiff last night and missed my last train home. So i was in need of somewhere to stay. After walking around Cardiff and most hotels turning me away at 3 in the morning because they were either all full (allegedly) or way to expensive to stay for just 6 hours.the last Hotel i tried was the Ibis. The guy (sorry couldn't remember his name) at the reception desk was very helpful and patient with me thankfully as i was totally wasted on alcohol and cold. Only 2 problems I had with the hotel and one fault can't be blamed on the hotel. the first fault was my door card didn't work when i tried to use it so i had to go back to the reception desk and ask the guy to come and let me in. And the second fault I found was that my room was on the first floor and near the main road and at about 8 in the morning you can hear the construction works just across the road. but again this is out of the hotels control. and don't let that put anyone off staying there.
the hotel is central and only about 5 minutes walk from Queen Street Railway Station or about 10 minute walk from Central Railway Station And just across the road is Cineworld Cinema and St Davids shopping Centre with a hand full of restaurants. This hotel is well worth the money and worth staying if your looking for a good night out in Cardiff. i would recommend the hotel to anyone and I will also be staying here again soon. Just want to say thank you too all the staff at the Ibis hotel for the friendly service and a great nights sleep.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper or you need to sleep through the day I suggest a room away from the main roa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ronald20
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear 'Ronald20', thank you very much for taking the time and wirting your review on here. I am glad that you had a great night sleep in our NEW IBIS SWEET BED!! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you for you kind words and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed May 10, 2013

An excellent, well appointed hotel near Queen Street Station and behind Cardiff Arena. – in fact from our room we could see the stars leaving through its back gate after the show – an added bonus! Large, clean, comfortable room – exceptional value for money. The reception staff were also extremely friendly and helpful. From now on this will be our hotel of choice when staying in Cardiff – in fact, we have already booked to go back in late May. It’s also well away from the madness/noise of St Mary Street. Bliss!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OzzyGirlWiltshire
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear 'OzzyGrilsWiltshire', many thanks for taking the time and leaving your thoughts on here. I am glad that you had a nice time in Cardiff. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will pass it on to my Team and I am sure it will server as encouragement to work even harder in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had a parking problem. train staff to guide properly. I have been looking around for parking. I paid 16 pound for parking. So, hotel should train staff about how to guide customer. I was told about parking place but I could not find parking place and i parked somewhere else and had to pay more money. except this, I enjoyed my trip. thanks to ibis hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear 'masterayaz77' many thanks for your feedback. I was sorry to learn that you could not find parking with our instructions. I will make sure that the directions we give are clear. Please note that you can always pick up a printed directions from the reception. I am happy that overall you had a great stay. Kind Regards, Jacek