“Historic, interesting and beauty all rolled into one.”
Review of Castell Coch

Castell Coch
Ranked #9 of 163 things to do in Cardiff
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I used to live in Tongwynlais so have visited Castell Coch several times, so was keen to show it off to my relatives with whom I spent a few days in Cardiff. It offers an interesting insite into Victorian way of life as well as medieval ways and there are fresh surprises round every corner (or bend = there are few straight walls). The children,aged 4 and 6 loved it and all thought the entry prices offered very good value for money. We were there for 2 hours, but, had it been a warmer day, could easily have stayed longer, though the building itself was plenty warm enough. It is easy to avoid the shop and cafe should you want to, but we were ready for a drink by time we'd walked up and down all those steps. Probably not suitable for those with limited mobility, but I am planning my next trip already

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having refurbished this castle last week, we were delighted to visit and at just £3.80 each for entrance fee, it was well worth it.

It is truly a fairytale castle. There was a group of school children there when we visited and they were all dressed up like fairytale princesses and goblins and witches - what a day for them to remember.

The towers and Aesops Fables depicted on the walls and the beds were fabulous. The colours were still vibrant. Lots of rickety steps to go up and down and a foreboding dungeon too.

A welcome change from the hustle and bustle of Cardiff itself with all the shopping.

1  Thank A8223XUangelar
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Castell Coch is built on the remains of a 13th Century original and has been rebuilt to look as it may have been in at that time.

It's fantastic to look at up on the hill side as you approach, but is actually quite small.

I enjoyed visiting and liked the mad decoration inside, some of the recreated medieval features such as wooden arrow slit covers do spoil the view though!

The cafe was pleasant although had to wait a very long time to be served as it is all done individually, and we visited on a very icy day making the walk up to the Castle treacherous: I would have expected it either to have been cleared, closed or warnings put out.

We didn't walk the grounds as the weather was poor but a pleasant visit for a couple of hours.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Like much of Cardiff Castle, a product of Lord Bute's money and William Burges's imagination. Unlike Cardiff, and in my view, all the better for it is the fact that you can go round at your own pace - no guided tour. Again, unlike Cardiff, you can take pictures inside - or at least you could; check that this is still the case. I've visited three times (first back in 1975) and will no doubt visit again.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Beautiful hunting folly, built for the Earl of Bute but never lived in. Amazing decoration inside, well worth a visit. Famous for it's red draw bridge, has been featured in several movies. You can even marry there!