“City Break”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank Linda Folan for her outstanding demonstration of excellent service to guests at the hotel.
We found her extremely helpful and commend her commitment and helpfulness.
If you are staying in Cardiff we would recommend the Maldron.
Thank you again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Michele J,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted I could personally help you with your reservation and during your stay.
I hope that we can welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,
Assistant Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,250)

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Lovely hotel. Really clean with good service, plenty of free parking. Very nice bar and restaurant with a great breakfast choice. And most of all, incredible value for money. Will definitly visit again

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Gary U,

Thank you for your fantastic five star review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings. I will pass on your kind words to our entire team. I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future.

Assistant Front Office Manger

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one night (Saturday) and had to pay a very high price for not booking rooms in advance. I think the other reason why the price was inflated was because there was a big football game (Liv-Cardiff) on the very same day, and so most of the other hotels were fully booked. Must mention that they also took 50 pounds extra (refundable) as a security deposit per room which is weird as I have never seen such a thing before anywhere!
The room I got was on 8th floor, not very big in size and the bathroom was also only okay types. There was a very big curtain drawn on the other side of the room, and as i ran towards it hoping to get a nice view of the city.... I was so utterly disappointed to see that there was only a wall behind the curtains! Why would anyone cover a wall with such beautiful curtains! Anyway, my suggestion would be to book this hotel only in advance and see if you could get a better price. Also, it is situated next to the railway station and the city center so you wont have problems partying late at night as all pubs, clubs, restaurants are within 5mins of walking distance. If you wish to go to the Bay area, there are plenty of cabs available for 5 pounds, or you can walk as well as it isn't very far.

Room Tip: Not every room has a good view, do check the room's view if possible before booking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear Ajay_1985,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. As mentioned rates are subject to availability and on event days or short lead in time when rooms are limited in the city, rates increase due to high demand. There are plenty of offers available online that can be booked in advance through our website.

As a City Centre hotel, a security deposit is required for all bookings that are made on reception on the day to ensure the comfort & respect of all guests.

I noticed you have awarded us 3 stars however there is no mention of what improvements we need to make to attain 5 stars. I would be delighted to peruse any comments or suggestions you would like to make. My email address is amansfield@maldronhotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Alison Mansfield

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had a nice room, overlooking the railway lines and we could see the station from the window - yet we slept really well! We wondered when we first saw the room - would we get any sleep, but now we are home we are beginning to wonder if we would sleep better with trains?!

Parking was okay once we worked out where to go, though a bit difficult at first.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Lynne P,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us but am disappointed you did not see us fit to be awarded 5 stars. I would be interested to hear of any suggestions you could make that may allow us to improve our rating.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Alison Mansfield

Reviewed March 25, 2014

My son booked a two night stay for us at the Maldron, for my hubby's birthday. We travelled by train, which is two minutes walk away.
The hotel was perfectly placed for shopping, and all the bars and eateries Cardiff has to offer.
Check in was quick and easy, and the lady on Reception was very friendly. We were given a double room on the 11th floor, and the view was lovely. The room was spacious, clean and had all we needed for our break. Although we would have preferred a king size bed, we could not fault the comfort of the double. It would have been perfect if I didn't have to share :)

The bar and restaurant area was clean, modern and all the staff were very friendly. Breakfast was more than adequate, with continental, full English, and cereal, fruit. All the food we had was tasty, hot and freshly made. (My hubby loved the black pudding and mushrooms, but unfortunately they was only available on our first morning.

Overall we would definitely stay again at this hotel, and have already recommended it to our son for an excellent base to visit Cardiff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lynbt

Dear lynbt,

I am delighted your husband had an enjoyable birthday celebration at our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope I can welcome you back in teh future.

Alison Masnfield

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I knew the Maldron hotel was close to the train station, but was very pleasantly surprised to see how close it really was - basically a hop, skip and jump. Perfect for us as we had large bags and didn't really want to walk a long distance or catch a cab.

Check in was a breeze, the room was nice. 2 large king sized singles, comfortable mattresses and pillows and fresh, clean sheets.

Large TV, plenty of tea and coffee in the serving tray and the view from our room was spectacular.

Breakfast unfortunately was pretty average. Plenty of hot food, but the eggs were quite greyish looking like the chef had used old or powdered eggs. Bacon so overcooked that both my daughter and I gave up after trying to crunch our way through a strip. But the cereals, coffee, tea, toast etc was good. So we stuck to those. The 2nd day I ordered breakfast in our room, just cereal, toast and juice.

I would stay here again if we come to Cardiff as it is so central and the hotel so nice but I would only order breakfast in the room or not at all. Such a shame really the food lets it down.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Natalie A ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found the check in process easy.
As a proactive team we welcome both positive and negative feedback ,I will pass on your comments to the food and beverage team and together we can address your issues.

Kind regards,
Linda Folan,
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel is literally within minutes away from Cardiff Central Station. On arrival was greeted by a very warm welcome and checked in easily. I found the room to be very well furnished, very clean with plenty of space and also a great view out onto Cardiff city. The room had everything you need from storage space to an iron and ironing board. I was on the 6th floor and even though the train station is nearby I wasn't overly bothered by the noise. I had a good nights sleep, the bed and pillows were extremely comfy. I would definitely stay here again, am already looking to book a date in April.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear TrishP,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your fantastic review on tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in April.
Assistant Front Office Manager