“Excellent value accommodation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lancashire UK
“Excellent value accommodation”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

New hotel adjacent to Cardiff Central Station. Stayed 3 times on business. Fairly basic accommodation albeit reasonably large, clean modern and very good value rooms - given the excellent location. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Incubator62,

I am delighted you found us 'Excellent Value' and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor.
We provide good quality 3 star city center accommodation at reasonable prices and I am pleased your loyalty reflects this.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Kind Regards,
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Czech first
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Nice hotel, very central with most staff very polite and courtious. Room was nice and spacious with flat screen television, hospitality tray etc. Very annoying that we were overlooking the railway track and Cardiff Central Station, because at night the noise from passing trains was quite unacceptable. Food and drinks , including coffee is grossly overpriced. Room should have been ready by 14:00hrs but wasn't.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is not overlooking the Central Train Station.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anthony I,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave your review on tripadvisor. As a 3 star city center hotel, with in close proximity to Cardiff central train station, unfortunately some of our bedrooms overlook the train station and the city.

I am delighted that you seem to have enjoyed your stay overall and found our staff to be polite & courteous. If you would like to offer any feedback on way we can improve the service or quality we provide I would be happy to discuss these with you directly.

Deputy General.
nottinghamshire
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have to agree with another reviewer - RPGs - about the stink from the bathroom. I was also on the 7th floor (725) although the smell wasn't so much sewerage as stagnant water. Still the room was really peaceful once the aircon problem that kept me awake most of my first night had been sorted. It was also spacious and very clean.
The staff are really helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them - even providing a HUGE jug of milk after I asked for an alternative to those horrible little plastic containers of UHT - to go with the complimentary tea and coffee in the room.
A really nice touch was the ice and chilled water machine just down the corridor.
Breakfasts are ok although IMHO £9 for what amounts to a normal cooked breakfast was a bit steep. However, the breakfast chefs are really good, rustling up an excellent poached or fried egg as an alternative to the scrambled egg that appears to be the only egg option in the buffet area ... but you have to ask as there are no signs indicating these alternatives!
The main thing going for this hotel has to be its location: no more than 5 mins walk to the station .. just great.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you're a light sleeper cos the hotel's next to the main railway line...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MyDearOldThing,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall. As mentioned in another guest response, our maintenance manager has rectified the issue with the drainage on the 7th floor. Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention so we can improve our offerings.
I am pleased you availed of our service of freshly cooked eggs. There is a sign on the buffet above the scrambled eggs advising guests of this option. I will speak to the F&B manager to ensure this sign is made more prominent for future guests.

I appreciate your review and hope to welcome you back.
Kind Regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel ticked all boxes for me. I stayed initially for three nights and when had an unplanned second visit to Cardiff, booked in again. On both occassions, the rooms (King & Double - for single occupancy) were a good size, clean, comfortable and modern. Furnishings were tasteful but not overwhelming (great tile design in bathroom). Beds very comfortable with plenty of pillows. All linens - sheets & towels - were snowy white. Great location - next to train station and bus station - but was not disturbed by trains. Couple of minutes walk to the large Cardiff shopping centre. Breakfast was buffet with the hot dishes cooked to order. Price was very reasonable. I will definitely stay at this hotel next visit to Cardiff. (ps.the Great Western Hotel across the road does a great fish & chips (& mushy peas!) dinner for around six pounds

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Colleen710,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and Appreciate you taking the time to share your 5 star review on tripadvisor.

We would love to welcome you back for a return trip to wales.

Warm Regards,
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel room was perfectly fine and clean and the beds very comfortable. Unfortunately, unless you had the air con on, there was a definite sewerage smell from the bathroom. We were on the 7th floor so not bothered by the trains running frequently at all, but our room was opposite the lift and unfortunately, the signs asking for quiet as people were sleeping were ignored by guests waiting for the lifts (only two of them for 11 floors) which meant waiting for the lift at meal times was awfully slow. Overall, the breakfast was fabulous and kept us going most of the day visiting all the fantastic tourist attractions.

Room Tip: High room away from lifts and linen storage
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear RPG's,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I can assure you that the smell you encountered in your room is not a normal occurrence and our maintenance manager has worked along side contractors to resolve this matter. I apologise if this issue caused you any discomfort.
I hope I can welcome you back in the future so we can, in some way, restore some faith in our hotel. If you are planning a return trip to Cardiff please contact me and I would be delighted to handle your reservation personally.
Lanzarote, Spain
Reviewed September 16, 2013

As 5 friends we spent 3 nights here. The rooms were clean, comfortable, modern and quiet (on the 10th floor). The breakfast was very good with a reasonable choice, and freshly cooked eggs.The food in the buffet was regularly refreshed and always well topped up.
The location couldn't be better. The station was just 2 minutes walk, and the shops and restaurants not much more.
The staff were friendly and helpful but could have been a bit better informed, and at times more staff on reception would have helped.
Also, as it was our 1st time in Cardiff, we would have appreciated more tourist info. There were information leaflets in reception but some were out of date, and the leaflets we wanted (re. the sightseeing bus, Mermaid Quay etc.) wasn't there.
Overall we were really happy with our stay here and would return if in Cardiff again.

Room Tip: Higher is quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CarolJohnson49,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall. The information stand at reception is provided to the hotel by the local Tourism Marketing Company and we do not restock the booklets ourselves. I will contact the company and advise them of your leaflet recommendations and hope their selection improves for future guests.

I hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Kind Regards
Trowbridge
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The rooms were ok but the food was awful. Coach parking was not available leaving no where to pick up passengers and load cases. The coach had to be parked about 5 miles away from the hotel. If your going to this hotel don't go as part of a tour group.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Teresa L
Dear Teresa L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy your evening meals with us. We are constantly looking to improve our offers and welcome all constructive feedback. I would appreciate a more elaborate explanation of what you did not enjoy about your meal. You can contact me directly and I would be happy to pass this information onto the relevant managers.
As with any city center hotel we do not have our own coach parking but are located minutes walk from the nearest parking bays. There is also a loading area at the back of the hotel to allow a 20 minute standing time for passengers to get on & off the coaches. These details are communicated to all tour operators prior to arrival to ensure a smooth arrival and departure.

Once more, thank you for your review.