“Exactly as described...”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed 1 night with my daughter whilst visiting the university. At first we were given a great room - corner and end of corridor with floor to ceiling windows on two sides overlooking the front of the hotel with great views. Unfortunately I had booked a twin and this was a double, so we reluctantly asked for a change of room into one of the regular rooms - exactly as other people have descibed: pleasant, clean, comfortable and functional but few luxuries. I had paid a really good rate for a city centre hotel, so it met/exceeded expectations. A few minor gripes prevent me from giving this 5 stars. The room was really hot and no matter what combination of buttons we pressed on the aircon control, it had little impact. Breakfast, whilst a pleasant restaurant, was pretty average - Premier Inn style do it yourself, although a decent choice. Fried food items did look a bit overwhelmed with fat, though. When making a choice (and there are many good hotels close by) factor in the price of parking. Maybe it's no different in the more expensive Radisson, Marriott etc, but even with hotel discount, we paid £14.00+. However, everything other reviewers say about the location is spot on - not sure you could beat the location.

1  Thank dj1
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear DJ1,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. As a City Centre hotel we are not fortunate enough to have our own car parking however we are close to all transport links including Cardiff Central Station for easy rail access.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall and hope to improve our offering for any future stay you may have with us.

Regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Excellent stay good view the food was excellent above all no problems would say parking is a bit pricy staff was very helpful one helpful hint freelanders can just fit but tight on bends to go up levels

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Brady02,

Thank you for your brief but excellent review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay & hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great basic, but comfy room right in the centre of the city. Straight out of the hotel and you are amongst the food, bars and shops - so close to the train station as well. Was a bit concerned about noise in this location but the room was quiet so no complaints :) Didn't do breakfast as wanted to make the most out of the midday checkout but the GWR across the road does breakfast till 12 for a very reasonable £3.90 (I think) Hotel bar was lovely - Cant ask much more for the money we paid - would recommend :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear DawnP,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed 1 night in this hotel as I was in Cardiff for work. It is only about 2 minutes walk from Cardiff Central rail station and about 2 minutes from the main shopping area too.

The hotel is modern and very clean. The room I had (823) had no view unfortunately, but it was very quiet. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was pristine. I had a bath with a shower over, but when I used it I was surprised at how lovely and powerful it was.
Tv on the wall had all the freeview channels too. You dont get toiletries in the room, but there are tea/coffee making facilites, a hairdryer, iron and ironing board.

Check in was quick and efficient and they allowed me to check in early without a fuss or charge.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room as I am very noise sensitive! This meant that I had to forgo any type of vi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank emmaBristolUk
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear emmabristolUK,

Thank you for your positive review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall. As mentioned our quietest rooms are the internal facing rooms however we do have excellent city views from our upper floors.

You mentioned that we do not have toiletries in our rooms however we do have shampoo and shower gel dispensers and on request our reception team can provide you with individual mini bottles.

On a return trip to Cardiff any of the team would be delighted to arrange these for you.
I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Hotel was very nice. Great location for shops and nightlife. Room was very clean and nicely decorated. Found staff very polite. Breakfast was very good everything kept being replaced never had to request anything. Only complaint was the parking we Parked in the car park that was advertised on the web and was given a card to put in the machine so we could get 20% off I don't know if the hotel is aware of this but it doesn't work so we had to pay £18.00 which we thought was very expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank karen_wolves

Dear karen_wolves,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall.
I have discussed your parking issue with the NCP manager and our management team here in the hotel. To ensure that future guests do not encounter the same issue we are offering guests a £10 - 24 hour charge for car parking payable at reception. Thank you for your recommendation and I hope you will stay with us again where you can avail of our new car parking offer.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

we had a great stay at the Maldron, except for breakfast..we went down 9-15 Sunday morning and a bit of a bun fight. Absolutely everything is self service, which is fine if you are told this..instead we were greeted and shown to a table with 3 seats (we were a group of 3) only two place settings, I ended up searching for my own. Tables were cleared almost as you ate, which was just a little too quick and I had to hunt down another napkin as mine was taken. Hate the do it yourself toasters as they take too long, and warmed plates to put the hot food on would be good. On the plus side everything to eat was good and a lovely lady from the kitchen sorted a fried egg for me, as they weren't on show. The hotel itself is lovely, super comfy bed, good tea/coffee selection etc. Lovely shower and super clean bathroom. We were in rooms 717 & 718 overlooking the railway...if you're affected by noise, then don't go any lower or ask for a room on the other side of the hotel. On the 7th floor we could hear the trains, and they did disturb my daughter and her friend a bit. Overall would highly recommend!!

Room Tip: If you don't like noise ask for room opposite side to railway or floor 7 and above

Dear Redkydog,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your stay on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall. As mentioned, we do offer a full buffet breakfast with freshly cooked eggs to order. Unfortunately as a 216 bedroom hotel some breakfast times do become busy & these busy periods are highlighted in the lifts so guests can plan their own times around this.

I hope you will consider staying with us again.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Met my daughter for a catch up in Cardiff and stayed at the Maldron Hotel. It is conveniently situated for exploring the city also within walking distance to shops and public transport. Staff were welcoming and helpful and baggage could be left at no extra charge. The room was spotless as well as being comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a pleasant, relaxing break in the City whatever the reason for your visit.

2  Thank Helen T
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Helen T,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be friendly & helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor and to recommend us to your friends.