“Enjoyable stay”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. The NCP car park next door is very convenient. You get the discount via a voucher you have to ask for at Reception, If you pay for breakfast in advance you get a discount. The whole hotel had a good vibe and the room was very comfortable. Staff were very good on Reception though I felt the bar staff had some way to go to catch them up. To be honest I would stay here again and if its a central hotel in the city centre you are after this would be a good choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear JohnUK,

Thank you for your kind comments & pictures on tripadvisor. I will pass them onto the reception team, who pride themselves on their customer service skills.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here while in Cardiff on a stag trip and was very impressed with the service provided.

The hotel is in an excellent location close to all of the bars, restaurants, shopping and the stadium. We were lucky enough to be there on a rugby weekend and the atmosphere around the city was electric.

The hotel bar had a good vibe and the locals were all good craic and even got in on the banter with us,

I didnt think the price of the room represented great value for money but given that it was a rugby weekend then I suppose it is to be expected. I also had an issue afterwards whereby I was billed twice for my stay which was rather inconvenient and required me to have a bit of interaction with the hotel before it was eventually resolved.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Kavo85,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and were able to stay during a rugby event. As I am sure you are aware these are busy weekends for the city and availability is very limited during these times.

I am glad we were eventually able to resolve your billing errors and I hope this has not effected your wish to return to the hotel.
I hope to welcome you back in the future,

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Great for trains, shopping bars and shopping. Great rooms very clean and modern just in house tea and coffee was horrible think milk was off!!
Only niggle was that i paid for breakfast when I arrived and when we went down the next day there was no record of us paying the girl rang through to reception and they said there was no record, she let us in bit made us feel as though we were guilty of not paying even though we did. Other than that would definitely recommend this hotel and this would not stop me staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear looylou6,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall but am disappointed you experienced some difficulty when having breakfast. I will speak to the management team to ensure essential training is done on this matter.

I hope this minor issue has not deterred you from staying with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Booked a one night stay at this hotel and was very pleased with everything. The hotel was 2 mins from the station and very central for all of Cardiff's attractions. Check in was quick and easy and I had requested a high floor and was given a room on 11th floor with a view towards Cardiff Bay; especially nice at night! The room was spotless and the minimalist bathroom a delight .I asked for a towelling robe and it was brought to my room straight away. The bed was extremely comfortable but I did not have breakfast so cant comment on the food, however, the cocktails in the Stir Bar were very good!
Overall, an excellent,central hotel with everything you could need and very friendly staff!.

Room Tip: High floors have the best view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Caroline190757,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our check in to be quick & easy.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the city.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

What a great hotel. It was so close to the city centre with shops, bars and restaurants. Within walking distance of millennium stadium and other tourist attractions. Hotel was immaculate, room beautifully decorated comfy and clean. Staff were very friendly and efficient. We had a room overlooking the road directly opposite the edge of town. The railway station & bus depot is just around the corner. We could hear slight noise from trains coming in and out of the station but it was not enough to disturb our sleep or put us off returning for a stay next time.

Room Tip: We stayed on 5the floor, good views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sheryl F,

Thank you for your fantastic, five star, review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you had a Super stay with us and hope you will come back to visit us soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having been to Cardiff 3 times and stayed in all manor of hotels in different locations in the city, this time I decided to go right for the heart of the city, and nowhere can be more central than St Mary street.
I was driving to Cardiff, so it can be a complex maze of roads to actually get to the hotel, but you can see it from a distance and once you do find it the car park is right next to it (this hotel offer a 20% discount for the multi story car park across the road).
Firstly I have to say that I found this hotel to be very modern and clean, but the actual rooms I found to be very basic and nothing special, but it serves its purpose.
If I am in Cardiff again I will be sure to stay here from now on.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear wander_scotland,

Thank you for your kind review and I appreciate you taking the time to share your stay with others. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

If I am in Cardiff again I will be sure to stay here from now on.

• Stayed: October 2012