“Great option for city centre stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Great option for city centre stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Having only stayed 1 night I can only comment on certain things: I was very happy that the bed was incredibly comfy and the room was clean, was great to have a good sized TV also. Wifi was fast and easy to access.

The best thing about this room was the shower, it was very powerful and I could have stood under it for hours!!!
Great city centre location, easily accessible from the main train and station. Would stay again...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank travelgeekuk
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear foxybabee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and hope you will stay with us again.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Czech first
india
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is one of the finest 3 star hotels Located in the heart of the city on St Mary Street, the BEST WESTERN PLUS Maldron Hotel is one of the most conveniently located hotels in Cardiff City Centre. The Hotel is adjacent to Cardiff Central Railway Station and the Millennium Stadium is only a short walk from the hotel. For hotels near Motorpoint Arena Cardiff, choose Maldron Hotel. View our amazing Cardiff Hotel Deals here! This trip was actually family attraction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear sushil g,

Thank you for your brief but glowing review of the Maldron hotel Cardiff. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay & will pass your kind comments onto the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Blaenau Gwent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We first stayed at the Maldron in August 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was fresh and modern and the rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. However we found quite a big difference on our second stay. We were very shocked to discover that our room was half the size of the room that we had first stayed in (for the same price) and we had no window looking outside but onto a hotel corridor. The bathroom was filthy! We were disgusted to find the toilet surroundings covered in pubic hairs!!! And also hairs stuck to the wall yuck! There was also a splodge of cream on the shower mat which made me feel sick! On check in at 6pm there was a room service tray outside a guests door with their left over food on it, this was still there at 12pm the following day on check out despite housekeeping walking straight past it twice! The check in staff were friendly (an Irish man, very polite) but the checkout staff (A girl named Laura) was so miserable and arsey it just topped off the unpleasant stay! Definitely won't be staying here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Better value for money in a premier or holiday inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RW54
Dear RW54,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us. I can see from your review you were given a complimentary upgrade on your first stay with us, this was not available on your following stay. I understand from your review that your room cleanliness was not to our normal standard and I will raise these issues with our housekeeping manager.

I am disappointed you did not give us the opportunity to rectify some of your issues directly in the hotel. If you would like to contact me please do so. My number is 02920668866.
Regards,
Bracknell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stay here with a friend for one night in February to attend a friends birthday bash in Cardiff. Found the room clean and spacious with everything you could need. Reception staff were friendly and helpful. Didn't have breakfast so cant comment on that. Room was a little noise at night with guests returning but, that's to be except on a Saturday night in Cardiff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear happyholiday505,

I appreciate the time you have taken to write your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found our hotel to be of good value. As a 3 star city centre hotel we strive to offer good quality 4 star service & standards.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Excellent location for arriving by train. Apart from a few small issues which included the hotel not being aware of the rate I had booked on line, and the beautifully designed bathroom's basin plug becoming resolutely stuck - this was a very pleasant place to stay. I was here on business and didn't use the bar or restaurant, but the room was good and my wishes for the room expressed when booking were granted.

Room Tip: I had an 11th floor room with distant views towards Cardiff Bay
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear lesflamantsroses,

I appreciate you taking the time to a write your review on tripadvsior. I am delighted your enjoyed your stay overall and hope you will consider staying with us again when you return for business in Cardiff.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway with my fiancé. Really good location (apart from the hugely expensive parking and no provision for discount) clean rooms, expensive for what it is though.

After checking in, we went to the room and began to unpack, get changed etc. there was an urgent knock at the door and without warning, a staff member had come in to the room. A quick apology, he left. Another few minutes later, another knock on the door and the same thing happened again. Now, furious this appeared to be the norm/a regular occurrence, we took precautions to fully lock the door, leave the do not disturb sign out and get changed in the locked bathroom.

Upon speaking to the manageress at checkout, she appeared relatively ukshocked, apologised and simply offered us a good rate the next time a stayed. After calling on numerous occasions to enquire about Booking using this 'good rate' we found this was never better than an average screen scrape or quick check on booking com.
Maybe what she meant was cheaper than the usual extortionate price for booking through the hotels own website (not having to compete on price with other similar hotels).

Firstly, I was disgusted and alarmed with what had happened, secondly, I was surprised with the soulless apology we were offered, thirdly, I was disappointed that to rectify it and give themselves a chance to get it right, they actually just offered us a room at a rate which turned out to be no better than the rate offered to the majority of people who book their stay at the hotel anyway.

Plenty of other choices in Cardiff, novotel, raddisson and serviced apartments aspaceinthecity who do the same thing, but at less cost, without trying to stiff you proper compensation when something goes wrong.

not really interested in a standard 'we're sorry and we would be delighted to discuss this with you/fob off' reply from the hotel, just wanted to air my thoughts about my experience. I usually wouldn't leave such a negative review, but after reading similar I thought I should share.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank loopyloosy
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear loopyloosy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am completely baffled by your review. Firstly we do offer a discount in the local NCP car park of 20%.
Secondly I have not as yet received a call from yourself with reference a discount. I personally deal with all guests with previous issues. My direct email is amansfield@maldronhotels.com

Regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

The soundproofing really lets this place down. Kept up by trackside maintenance and freight trains when the passenger trains stopped running. I've stayed at the Thistle next door to Euston Station and you can't hear the trains at all - so it is possible to get it right. Whats more the Maldron is almost brand new.

In all other respects this is a great hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank dgp1000
Dear Dgp1000,

I appreciate the time taken to write your review on tripadvisor. I understand some guests prefer the quietness of our internally facing rooms.
I would be happy to allocate you one of these rooms if you decide to return to the hotel. Please contact a member of the team who would be happy to arrange this for you.