“Everything was fine, but not perfect”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Wales
“Everything was fine, but not perfect”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed in the Maldron Hotel Cardiff hotel on new years eve, so that neither my husband or myself would have to drive to a friend's party.

Reception - the experience of checking in and out was friendly and efficient.

Room - Everything was fine, but not perfect. The room was comfortable, but starting to look shabby (eg wall light over bed were wonky). I didn't like that the desk light was on the same circuit as the entrance light, so both were either on or off (lighting is important to me). Appreciated having a kettle and tray with usual tea and coffee stuff, but found its location in the open wardrobe strange. I would have moved the tray but the kettle was plugged in, so assumed it was meant to stay where it was.

The bathroom was clean and nicely decorated. I don't like the bottles of shower creme on the wall arrangement - just something really cheap about it ( i always imagine the cleaning staff filling them up from a big bottle of generic liquid soap).

There was an ice machine in the corridor - I liked this, but had no occasion to use it - its presence made me smile.

Breakfast - nice dining room. Breakfast was a standard hotel buffet affair - what can you say. The scrambled eggs however did look very unappetizing (hard lumps of eggs with a watery base) - I just made up my own bacon rolls.

Overall the Maldron Hotel Cardiff did its job. Its not hotel to make you feel special, but you get a clean pleasant bed for the night, a hot shower and an adequate breakfast .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Nickyb95,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am disappointed you had a less than perfect stay with us. As you can imagine we try to cater for all tastes and in doing so sometimes do not cater for specific needs. Our team here in the hotel would be happy to make any alterations or additions to your room to ensure your next stay would be a more enjoyable one. Please contact them directly to arrange this.

Again I appreciate the time it has taken to leave your feedback. We use this feedback to better improve our offerings.

Kind Regards,
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Czech first
Pembroke
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Maldron hotel in Cardiff is situated at the end of St Mary's street ..... The location is perfect for millenium stadium visits as well as those wanting to eat out and party. The hotel is pretty new and as you would expect from a new hotel the rooms are pretty much perfect. We had a family room for just the two of us ( loads of space for two )
We never ate in the hotel at night but we did have breakfast which was a buffet style breakfast and was stunning one of the better ones 10/10 ......

Dear stef_and_nikki,

Thank you for your brief but glowing review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us & hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Hannover, Germany
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I got a reduced rate for a couple of nights' stay just before Christmas, all very straightforward - a large, modern and clean room, no problems worth mentioning and pretty quiet. It may be worth saying I was on the 7th floor (so not so close to the railway tracks) but in any case I hardly noticed any noise from trains - the hotel is 2 minutes' walk from Central station - that may vary with the room though. Equally the hotel seemed pretty empty at the time, I can't say if noise would be worse when it gets booked up or if there are bands of Cardiff City supporters roaming the streets below...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear CPviolator,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us & hope to welcome you back in the future.

athens,greece

1) Close to everything! Bus,Train,Shopping
2) One of Cardiff's best eateries is downstairs
3)The bar is great and has good prices
4) People who work here are wonderful
5) Views are great from the 10th and 11th floor.
6) Price of hotel is reasonable

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing the bay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear allgreek2me,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you had another successful stay with us & look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very central location, resturant is in a great position if you manage to get a window seat, you can watch the world go by. Room adequate and clean, bed comfy and clean. Food was ok, set evening menu was very good value for money and well presented and pleasant the breakfast was just ok. Would return again if staying in Cardiff.

Room Tip: Higher floors better views
Dear Cardiffparsons,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warn Regards,
west yorkshire
Reviewed December 25, 2012

good bits - very central, short walk to city centre and from train station. also short walk to motor point arena and opposite wetherspoons for cheap n cheery nosh.
breakfast - good standard with self serve for all items inc drinks.
room - spacious with tv, alarm clock, hairdryer, safe, iron n board and comfy bed too.....
safety - lift only accessible of you have a room card key....

negs
next to train station so some rooms at the back hear the early trains,
4th floor is smoking rooms - so request away from here if you dont want to smell it.
£10.00 for 2 x g and tonic in the bar.
no biscuits with the room provisions and no mini bar.

Room Tip: take a room round the front away from the train lines
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sambrow46,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay & will raise your recommendation at our next management meeting. We appreciate your feedback & use it to better improve our offerings.

I hope you will stay with us in the future.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Pleasant hotel that could do a lot better. Our room was a disabled room as I asked for a room near to the lift as my wife suffers from rheumatoid arthritis. Which fitted the bill very well? We were on the fifth floor over looking Cardiff Central railway station so we had to get used to the noise. The room was cleaned daily but only a quick flick of a duster. Plenty of dust on the lamp shades. There was so much dust on the top of the wardrobe (no doors) when my wife used the hair drier we got covered in dust and fluff!
Very disappointed with the breakfast. The first morning we ate at the Weatherspoons ‘Great Western’ that was opposite. I have eaten the many times before but was not up to much. So I though we would spoil ourselves on the Sunday and take up there offer of £3 saving on a £12 breakfast so my wife and I were expecting something 3 stars, how wrong. It was a buffet styled breakfast with the normal malfunctioning rotary toaster, push button coffee machine and luke warm food with Tesco blue strip type of sausages. I was upset with paying £9 each I would have been devastated if I had paid £12. The last morning we went to a Cafe in Wydham Arcade and had a splendid breakfast for two for under £10.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, ease train noise.
Dear Folkestonepaul,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am disappointed you did not find our breakfast adequate. Our food & beverage team have worked hard to raise the quality of our breakfast & I am disappointed you did not experience this.
I would appreciate any specific recommendations you may have of how we can improve our breakfast. You can email me directly on amansfield@maldronhotels.com