“Great Cardiff location” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Cardiff location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Really lovely hotel for a short stay. My friend and I stayed overnight after a concert at the Motorpoint Arena. We couldn't believe how close the hotel was to the rail station and the concert hall; it was ideally placed for both - and the great shops in Cardiff.
The room was just about big enough for an overnight stay and we were pleasantly surprised.
I have one criticism - we booked a twin room 8 months in advance but our room had one double bed and a camp bed which was a bit awkward - my friend kindly took the smaller bed. I felt bad because we'd gone half shares on the cost.
Although the hotel is built alongside the railway line, we heard absolutely no train noise - only noisy guests in the corridor at 2am.
Would definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: A high floor is probably a good idea as it's right alongside the main railway line.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear flashy001,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

I hope to welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel for any future stay to the city.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Maldron is only a couple of years old and retains its smartness. Friendly reception staff and excellent breakfasts. Situated right next to the city centre and bus and taxi stops. Reasonable rates. It is a Best Western Hotel and maintains those traditions.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear MMike_7,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I booked in to try and salvage our holiday after having a nightmare at the Radisson. Luckily the Maldron was a breath of fresh air.

Friendly, efficient and accommodating staff, both on reception and in the restaurant.

The room had a double and a single bed, both very comfy, nice decor and everything you'd expect, including spare towels. It was immaculately clean and with a view over Cardiff city centre.

We will definitely be booking with the Maldron the next time we're in Cardiff.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear mouselyMoo,

Home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

great value, lovely staff, clean comfortable rooms, brilliant location. Can hear trains when they pass but its not too noticeable because they are going slowly as its close to the station. Didnt interfere with our stay. Food was tasty and no tray charge for room service! I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Fluffhome,

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I have enjoyed a superb two nights bed and breakfast experience this week at the Maldron Hotel in Cardiff City centre. This is a very modern Hotel absolutely conveniently situated for Train and Bus Station plus easy walking distance from City Centre facilities (shops etc.) Also right opposite a Wetherspoons Pub/Restaurant! Hotel facilities are excellent. Our en suite bedroom was roomy, comfortable and beautifully equipped. Breakfast was a real treat. Staff were always helpful and friendly and efficient. We recommend this Hotel very highly. Best of all we didn't have to pay anything at all for everything we got whilst there. This is because the two nights break was covered by our Best Western Rewards points which we have managed to collect over some months by enjoying even more Best Western Hotel based breaks! Can't be bad!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Fonzie-Trendyman
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Fonzie-Trendyman,

I am delighted you were able to avail of a relaxing stay with your hard earned BW rewards points. I appreciate you taking to the time to recommend our hotel and hope you will come to visit us again soon.

Warm Regards,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We don’t live far from Cardiff but for my partner’s birthday meal out with friends I decided to book a hotel in Cardiff save catching the last train home or bunking at one of our friends’ houses. I found a deal for this hotel on the Secret Escapes website and it was such a good deal I booked it straight away knowing that there is usually a high standard of hotels on the website but when I looked in to the details of the hotel I realised it was 3* Best Western so my expectations lowered.

How surprised was I!

The hotel was great the staff did even think twice when we requested a different room because we wanted a better view, the rooms were lovely and the fixtures didn’t feel cheap at all. The 12:00pm check out on the weekend was fantastic after quite a lively evening out in Cardiff so we didn’t have to rush to eat our breakfast which was lovely. Don’t get me wrong it’s not the most fantastic hotel I’ve stayed in but for somewhere nice to stay in the centre of Cardiff that doesn’t charge a bomb, it’s perfect. I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank price110
Dear price110,

Thank you for your kind comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted we could exceed your expectations and I hope when you are next you Cardiff you will stay with us again.

Warm Regards,
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Nice, clean, modern hotel, slap bang in the middle of Cardiff's shopping and nightlife area.
Also very close to both railway and bus stations and a stones throw away from The Millennium Stadium.

Nice, patient staff who had a hotel-full of football fans to deal with and looked after my (new) jacket when I left it at reception one late night

Didn't do breakfast but I was impressed by the cost of only £9.00

Can't comment on parking as I wasn't driving.

Look no further when in Cardiff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends