“Good location and comfortable hotel”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Excellent location and comfortable hotel with spacious rooms. Breakfast excellent lots of choice. Very convenient for Cardiff Central station - just three minutes walk. Close to all amenities. Comfortable bar area on the second floor. Check out heating system when you first arrive. I was cold in the night and had problems adjusting it when I was half asleep

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the railway lines. I was in room 510 and had no noise from the trains.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Cheshireoma,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

I hope to welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel for any future stay to the city.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights recently. The room was spacious, comfortable and the shower great. The room overlooked the railway but was on the 10th floor so noise wasn't a problem. The central location was excellent for my purpose, being central, near the station, and close to the venue I was attending. The breakfast was brilliant with plenty of choice both in the continental and full Welsh sections. I found the staff, both on the desk and in the dining room helpful and friendly. Minor criticisms are that the room had no drawers other than the desk one, therefore if one was staying for any length of time you could not unpack. In addition, there did not appear to be any instructions on how to operate the heating. Finally, although there was decaff coffee in the rooms there was none in the dining room although the waitress managed to find a packet when I asked. Having said that my stay was most enjoyable and I loved Cardiff.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the street side.

Dear Ron K,

Thank you for your kind comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found our staff to be Helpful & friendly.
We appreciate your suggestions and since your review we have place heating instructions in all bedrooms.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights recently for the football and can highly recommend it. It was clean, modern, central (very handy for the bars and nightlife) and has a super bar which was reasonably priced and comfortable.
Bedrooms are spacious, lighting good, loads of mirrors, etc. Only drawback was the fact that we were unable to open the window to get some fresh air in. Air con did its job however so temperature was fine. Didn't hear a peep from the trains and would never have known we were close to the main train station.
Bathroom didn't have much space buit the shower was good. I didn't like the plastic bathmat however...
We arrived by car and although finding the Maldron was a bit of an adventure (we had to send out a scout in the end...), we enjoyed discounted parking rates at the multi storey across the road. A word of warning however on the car park - the turns are very tight and you will run the risk of scuffing your car on the pillars if you're not careful.
All in all, very pleased and thank you Maldron Cardiff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear TAmember8,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Rooms OK location good, Nice bar, Would stop there again, Right next to bars & etc: Shops on the door step.....................................................................................................................

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Ivor37,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My partner and myself arrived at the hotel on the Saturdayto find that the hotel had no 'Drop Off or Pick Up Point' anywhere near the entrance.. Only an NCP car park some 200yards away, costing £9 a day and, having to lug our baggage to and from the hotel entrance. We had booked the hotel for two days. Maybe a concessionary permit for hotel guests would be considered. We were on the 9th floor at an angle of 45degrees to the railway line, a continuous 'clackety-clack' of the trains, every 30mins throughout the night.. Two sleepness nights and my partner was not very happy as she was running the half marathon on the Sunday. The pillows were very thin and uncomfortable, also the bed was quite hard.. The tea and coffee sachets were not replenished on the second morning. Probably the only two good things in the apartment was the shower and the bath.. On the whole, an average hotel. I doubt we will be stopping at this hotel in the future

Room Tip: Bring your own ear defenders and air bed
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pinecone56
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear pinecone56,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. As a 3 star city center hotel we are not fortunate enough to have our own car park, however we do offer a discount with the local NCP car park. We also have a drop off zone at the rear of the building for unloading luggage.

As mentioned we are in close proximity to the Central train station and some of our rooms look out onto the tracks. Our reception team would be happy to allocate guests, on request, the other side of the building. We also offer internal facing rooms that we recommend to light sleepers, however these views are restricted.

I am disappointed these issues were not raised after the first night as we could have moved you to another room to ensure your sleep was uninterrupted.

If you would like to discuss the matter in person please feel free to contact me directly on 02920668866.

Regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm currently staying here whilst we have builders at home. I'm in a room on floor 6 which is overlooking the railway. I must admit to misgivings about the room as I had a bad experience staying in a railway side room at the Big Sleep years ago but thanks to very good glazing, I can barely hear the trains. The only downside is that in high winds which we had last night it sounds like a horde of banshees outside. The room itself is compact with a double and a single bed and plenty of storage. I can't comment on the single bed but the double is very comfortable and the bedding and room are warm. The room comes with a hair dryer, flat screen TV with lots of channels, and ironing board and iron and a safe as well as the usual tea and coffee tray. The bathroom is very nice and modern with white and chrome and I must say that I like the vertical bronze mosaic stripes in the tiing. Breakfast is buffet style in the restaurant and despite it being rather busy there are plenty of seats. There's a very large selection from cereals and yogurt to all you could want for a full English. Scrambled eggs come as standard but you only have to ask for an omlette, a boiled egg, poached or fried. Will definitely stay here again should the need arise.

Room Tip: I think a room overlooking the city away from the railway might be a good idea.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Isis-Osiris,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I travelled down for the weekend with my work on a familiarisation trip (i work as a travel consultant). We were put up by the Sales Manager at the hotel for free so value couldn't have been better. The location is perfect, bang in the city centre, right next to Cardiff Central Station and the high streets are right on your doorstep.

The building itself is newly built, so it is of a high standard. The reception is very well maintained as is the rest of the hotel. The rooms are of a decent size and the views are very decent from a high floor. The beds are incredibly comfortable, I could have slept forever.

The drinks at the bar are decently priced and there are televisions usually showing sports or music channels if you have time to kill. In the morning there is a breakfast buffet, which was very nice. If you didn't like scrambled eggs the man in the kitchen was happy to make it to your preference. This was a nice touch.

The staff were very helpful at all times and I really can't fault this hotel in any way.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a nice view.

Dear Conshaldow,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.