“Nice spot & nice bar”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Rooms OK location good, Nice bar, Would stop there again, Right next to bars & etc: Shops on the door step.....................................................................................................................

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Ivor37,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

I hope to welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel for any future stay to the city.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My partner and myself arrived at the hotel on the Saturdayto find that the hotel had no 'Drop Off or Pick Up Point' anywhere near the entrance.. Only an NCP car park some 200yards away, costing £9 a day and, having to lug our baggage to and from the hotel entrance. We had booked the hotel for two days. Maybe a concessionary permit for hotel guests would be considered. We were on the 9th floor at an angle of 45degrees to the railway line, a continuous 'clackety-clack' of the trains, every 30mins throughout the night.. Two sleepness nights and my partner was not very happy as she was running the half marathon on the Sunday. The pillows were very thin and uncomfortable, also the bed was quite hard.. The tea and coffee sachets were not replenished on the second morning. Probably the only two good things in the apartment was the shower and the bath.. On the whole, an average hotel. I doubt we will be stopping at this hotel in the future

Room Tip: Bring your own ear defenders and air bed
1  Thank Pinecone56
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear pinecone56,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. As a 3 star city center hotel we are not fortunate enough to have our own car park, however we do offer a discount with the local NCP car park. We also have a drop off zone at the rear of the building for unloading luggage.

As mentioned we are in close proximity to the Central train station and some of our rooms look out onto the tracks. Our reception team would be happy to allocate guests, on request, the other side of the building. We also offer internal facing rooms that we recommend to light sleepers, however these views are restricted.

I am disappointed these issues were not raised after the first night as we could have moved you to another room to ensure your sleep was uninterrupted.

If you would like to discuss the matter in person please feel free to contact me directly on 02920668866.

Regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm currently staying here whilst we have builders at home. I'm in a room on floor 6 which is overlooking the railway. I must admit to misgivings about the room as I had a bad experience staying in a railway side room at the Big Sleep years ago but thanks to very good glazing, I can barely hear the trains. The only downside is that in high winds which we had last night it sounds like a horde of banshees outside. The room itself is compact with a double and a single bed and plenty of storage. I can't comment on the single bed but the double is very comfortable and the bedding and room are warm. The room comes with a hair dryer, flat screen TV with lots of channels, and ironing board and iron and a safe as well as the usual tea and coffee tray. The bathroom is very nice and modern with white and chrome and I must say that I like the vertical bronze mosaic stripes in the tiing. Breakfast is buffet style in the restaurant and despite it being rather busy there are plenty of seats. There's a very large selection from cereals and yogurt to all you could want for a full English. Scrambled eggs come as standard but you only have to ask for an omlette, a boiled egg, poached or fried. Will definitely stay here again should the need arise.

Room Tip: I think a room overlooking the city away from the railway might be a good idea.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Isis-Osiris,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I travelled down for the weekend with my work on a familiarisation trip (i work as a travel consultant). We were put up by the Sales Manager at the hotel for free so value couldn't have been better. The location is perfect, bang in the city centre, right next to Cardiff Central Station and the high streets are right on your doorstep.

The building itself is newly built, so it is of a high standard. The reception is very well maintained as is the rest of the hotel. The rooms are of a decent size and the views are very decent from a high floor. The beds are incredibly comfortable, I could have slept forever.

The drinks at the bar are decently priced and there are televisions usually showing sports or music channels if you have time to kill. In the morning there is a breakfast buffet, which was very nice. If you didn't like scrambled eggs the man in the kitchen was happy to make it to your preference. This was a nice touch.

The staff were very helpful at all times and I really can't fault this hotel in any way.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a nice view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Conshaldow,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed on 3 nights for the price of 2 deal which was very good value. We added breakfast and an executive package so enjoyed a corner room overlooking the city (not the railway) which was very comfortable, a good size with small sofa area and bathroom which whilst compact, had a very good shower over the bath. Breakfasts were well cooked and a good choice of hot and cold food. Staff are very helpful and friendly throughout.
A number of people have mentioned how close it is to the railway, for light sleepers this could be a problem, however a number of the hotels are in a similar location and to be honest any hotel in a city centre is going to be noisy. I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Facing the city and floors 6 and above

Dear natwichgal,

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Right by the station and City Centre this newly built hotel was excellent. The rooms were clean, spacious and quite even with half of Scotland staying there on the night I stayed! Staff were excellent and a very generous buffet breakfast. Centrally located for the City Centre and all the sights.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear kymosavvy,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your stay on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you will stay with us again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We got a good deal on the price with lastminute.com which was an added bonus to a lovely weekend. The hotel is lovely, very clean (and I'm fussy!) ... there was a small amount of banging doors during the night as the younger bunch returned from their nights out. The bed was comfy, bathroom perfectly clean and everything you want was in the room. The location was brilliant, but then there are many, many hotels right in the same area. Staff were friendly too. We didn't eat there so can't say what the restaurant was like - but I got the impression most people went out to eat as the main street for bars and food is right on the doorstep. Cardiff is a very lively place which seems quite small when you start to look around but it grows before your eyes!

1  Thank Heath17Lear

Dear Heathmick,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our facilities to be clean and our staff friendly.

I hope you will return to us again soon.

Warm Regards,