“Lovely experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Cardiff Centre

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with good service, breakfast and housekeeping. Good location with the city centre being a ten minute walk and the bay about 15.... Me & my wife enjoyed the walk to the bay! Also, very close to the train station.
The air con did not work the last day, but the staff responded quickly and offered to shift us to a new room. We asked for fans, which were immediately brought in.
Best part: the staff!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank parthkembhavi
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you had a good stay with us and that the location, breakfast, houskeeping and sevice stood out for you during your visit.

I apologise that there was an issue with regard to your air conditioning, but pleased that we were able to offer assistance that was satisfactory to you.

I hope that should you choose to return to the Hotel again, I may have the opportunity to welcome you both back.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

It was a pleasure to stay here on a recent 2 day work trip although it would serve equally well for a leisure visit. The swimming pool was lovely. Breakfast & food from room service offered good choice to the same high standard as the restaurant. I have recommended it already to another colleague.

14 Thank newalls2013
Thank you for your excellent review and recommendation.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that the highlights for you included the cuisine, service and leisure facilities.

I hope that I may be able to welcome you back next time.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here many times and in many other Cardiff hotels- we usually come to Cardiff every 6-8 weeks for leisure time.

Firstly, location is better now John Lewis has been developed- prior to that it felt like a hike to town and the Bay. Car parking is plentiful but I do feel the prices for guests have risen steeply since coming here. Much like the Bridge- seems to rise every time we come!!

We had a family room and it was, in the main, well presented. Although there were stains on the spare bed mattress - it was not folded out on arrival, so my son saw the stains as we opened it up- he was very unhappy so I ended up sleeping on there. Not ideal but c'est la vie. The chair looked like it had people sitting on it straight from the shower -it was badly watermarked. The bathroom was adequate. A shower over the bath. Water pressure was pitiful. I must say that mould and mildew in bathrooms is a real no-no for me so that was disheartening to see. A bit of bleach would soon remedy the problem.

The television was lovely and new! Struggled to hear it at the highest set volume, I can understand why this has been done, but it was very low.

The housekeeping service were very efficient and polite. I requested extra pillows and this was accommodated immediately. Fantastic.

We did not breakfast here so unable to comment from this stay, but it usually is lovely and plentiful.

The Pool facility is a bonus - changing rooms are modern and refurbished -Pool area is in the main, nice, but it got very full and the children incessantly splashing was not fantastic. I have young children and this was upsetting them and me. The jacuzzi didn't feel terribly clean so I came out quickly.

The big downside of the trip for me was the fire alarm that went off. Twice it went off then stopped- I tried to ring reception to check that all was ok as it had stopped but couldn't get through. Then the third time it was continuous ... We followed the evacuation procedures and there was a sense of panic and hysteria on the floor we were staying. I told my boys to remain calm and follow the fire exits. We did this, however were disappointed by the lack of staff -they no where to be seen and lack of direction was palpable. I am not expecting staff to remain in the building, but perhaps ushering us to the assembly point on the outside would have been helpful.

When outside I was disappointed that no one checked us off on a list and there seemed to be no plan in place at all. Eventually a very courteous and diligent gentleman called Jonas (I judge by his apron that he was from the dining room) went around letting people know that there was no need to panic and that it was a false alarm. I observed that he did this off his own back with no instruction from management. His communication was very much appreciated and his initiative saved them from many complaints. I hope management recognise this.

There appeared to be at least two senior managers on, the general manager and another, perhaps, shift manager. I do not understand why one of them could not have adopted a more sensible approach to the evacuation and management plan.

This safety episode worries me greatly, and for this I would have to consider if I would return.

As an aside, my son is asthmatic and very allergic to animal hair. I noted that a small dog appeared from one of the rooms. I was not aware that the hotel permitted animals, if we were in a room that was not vacuumed throughly, this could have potential to cause allergies to flare and ruin the stay. Another consideration I will have to make when booking a Cardiff hotel again.

Sadly a mixed bag review. When we used to come here previously the review would have been all 4 and 5 star assessments.

2 Thank Eleanor2015
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that you continue to return to the Novotel, I am sorry that on this occasion that your experience was a 'mixed' one in terms of satisfaction.

I will address each of your points individually with the Management Team and thank you for sharing your experience. I was concerned that you have expressed unease with the evacuation as we have received positive feedback from other guests as well as the Fire Officers on this date. Please rest assured that staff undergo regular and thorough training and all feedback is incorporated into continually reviewing our procedures. I note that the member of staff whom you spoke with at the time communicated with you as instructed by the Duty Manager.

In addition to this, we do allow guests to bring family pets with them that is covered by our Pet Policy and that in accordance with this, there is a strict cleaning schedule adhered to during and following their stay.

I am however pleased that you and your family did enjoy other aspects including; the service, location and that breakfast is consistant with previous stays.

If you wish to discuss any other points of your stay, please do contact me on 02920 475000 where I will be happy to discuss them with you.

I hope that on reflection, you may choose to return to the Hotel again for a genuine hassle-free stay to which you have been accustomed to.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my wife and teenage daughters for one night as they were going to a concert at the Motor Point Arena.
We arrived early and the friendly receptionist checked us straight in to a new room as our allocated one was not ready.
Family room was clean and big enough for one night, hotel was ideally located for city center and Cardiff bay.
Thought car park was good value for money, and breakfast was good.

10 Thank jojojujs
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am delighted that you and your family had an enjoyable visit to Cardiff and that you found the Hotel services and facilities met your requirements.

I hope that you may choose to return to the Novotel again in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

On arrival at this hotel our booking was wrongly cancelled by the tour operator, but at 23:00 at night the Novotel Reception Operator assisted us with excellent & friendly service, organizing us a room for the night. The room was very spacious and everything was in its place and perfectly cleaned. The Buffet Breakfast in the morning was to our satisfaction with friendly service. We can recommend people to stay at this hotel and will do so ourselves if we ever visit Cardiff again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
14 Thank LM0602
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your review and compliments.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that if the opportunity arises, you both intend to return again in the future.

I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back next time.