“Easter break with children mainly to see Dr Who!”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a great 2 night stay - our suite was lovely. Breakfast was very good - although why you have to queue for a table is beyond me! (from personal experience a good hotel knows how many guests will be coming for breakfast, how many have been and how many are still likely to come and have enough tables and staff to cope, not have to call for staff when there are only 1 or 2 on the floor!).
Reception staff need a lesson in how to deal with people - ie when someone approaches you, you look at them, smile and ask how you can help.... (and this was with several different members of staff who had no idea if we were an existing guest or a potential new guest, but the response was always the same) ie don't look at the person stood in front of you, just continue looking at your screen..... and then when you do look at me - smile please and don't make me feel like I'm intruding on your time by asking for example a) Where are the towels for swimming please? b) Do you have a local map please? c) Do we need to book a table for the 4 of us for dinner tonight?
We have stayed in so many different hotels over the years and although this review sounds grumpy, we will come again - but hope that the front of house staff will be as friendly and approachable as the waiting and housekeeping staff that we encountered!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank LisiP68
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your review following your "great 2 night stay".

Thank you also for your feedback which will be discussed with the Management Team. I hope that on your next visit, we will have the opportunity to give you and improved impression of the hotel.

Chris Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (2,243)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed for one night on business. My expectations for this first visit weren't high - firstly because I'd stayed in a Novotel on one previous occasion in France and wasn't impressed, and secondly I'd stayed in this building many times when it was called the Hanover hotel, which was rather mediocre.
However, after a slightly shaky start, this hotel hit the spot.
Pros: large, clean and user-friendly room; huge and comfortable bed and pillows; clean and well-laid out bathroom; dinner was much better than expected and the service was exceptional; breakfast was fine - plenty of choice; usual Novotel macs in foyer very useful for checking emails, etc.; lovely bar area; plenty of safe parking spaces; polite and friendly staff.
Cons: slight wait at check-in.
We would certainly use this hotel again, especially at the tariff charged for a sunday night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that the hotel services and facilities met your satisfaction. I am particulalry pleased that you found the service "exceptional" and will gladly pass your comments onto the Team.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed half term with our 2 boys. First impressions very good- good location 5 mins walk into town but a bit far to walk to the bay with 2 small children- we walked there but got taxi home ( cost less than £5!)

Room was fine, spotless and clean but a bit disappointed with the size of it. We had booked an executive room ( and it did say that on the door) but after having a peep at a standard room there wasn't much difference. Had seen pictures of executive rooms on trip advisor and obviously ours wasn't one of the best. Saying that it was fine for our 2 nights and bathroom was well equipped.

Breakfast was great - lots of choice and good quality. Didnt eat any other meals in the hotel- far too much choice in the city!

My only criticism would be that we were having such a good time we wanted to stop another night- looked online and the rate was quite high ( very busy that night) asked at reception and they quoted us a high price too. When I asked if they could do us a deal they said they couldn't and that was the price. ( the price was more expensive than the online price for the st David's 5 star hotel on the bay!!) in other hotels weve stayed at they usually give us a very good deal if we decide to stay longer! So we consequently moved to The future inn on the bay- not as good facilities but we had a 2 roomed suite for half the price!

Overall a good stay at the hotel and we would stay again Just a shame we couldn't stay the third night.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Holiday30NorthWales

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you and your family had a pleasant time at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and particularly enjoyed the breakfast choice and quality. I am sorry that you were unable to stay with us for an additional night and hope that next time we will be able to provide you with an even better service.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Novotel Cardiff Centre is a typical Novotel, so at least regular travellers will know what to expect. Rooms are clean and functional, public areas comfortable but lacking ambience. I use Novotel regularly, particularly in Hong Kong, and must admit that I was not too impressed with this property. Staff were friendly but not particularly efficient and the lack of free broadband and WiFi make this an expensive place to stay - make sure you take the B&B rate if you plan to eat breakfast, £13.95 for an average buffet is a tad steep. I used my Accor Club loyalty points for this particular stay, otherwise the cost for one night would have been £110 before any extras. One plus point was the duty manager, Dave, who was quite prepared to listen to reasonable complaints and did his best to justify the broadband charges. I would stay again, but only if the 'price is right'.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the 'old' part of the building (third floor is good) and overlooking th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you found the hotel clean and functional as well as the staff being friendly during your stay. I acknowledge your comments also regarding WiFi and am pleased to say that soon, the WiFi will be available complimentary. I hope that this will meet your approval and will be of use to you on your next visit.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for location (Dr.Who experience/Techniquest) and fab deal as kids stay and breakfast free. Room was clean, queen bed and sofa bed. Usual tea/coffee/water bottle in mini bar free. Iron in cupboard, hair dryer under dressing table. Bring your toothpaste as none provided!
Don't panic if arrive late as there is an overflow car park on site with prob 15 extra spaces.
No free wifi in room but there are 2 iMacs in reception area that you can use for free also kids play area inc x-box. We used the pool, it's not heated; take £1 for lockers and towels are provided.
St.David's Mall is 5 mins by car, (cheaper to drive as only £2 parking after 5pm) usual eating places (Pizza express/Nando's etc). Mermaid Quay (parking for Dr.Who) also 5-6 min away by car. City road is 10mins away and fab for Asian/Middle East cuisine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ashmama
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your excellent review.

I am delighted that your family had a pleasant stay that was convenient, clean and comfortable.

I hope to welcome you all back again very soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently went with friends to this Hotel. It was actually a 'hen' weekend so the group was made up of different ages. We all agreed it was a very good base in Cardiff. The rooms were functional but very comfortable, great bed, the sofa bed was also good! The staff were efficient although not very friendly. The breakfast was excellent, as good I have had from any hotel, and really great choice. The pool was lovely, with good showers and the whole hotel was very clean. The rooms were very clean too. I stayed overlooking the main road but the glazing was so good there was very little noise. There was a good mix of families, couples, hen and stag parties and all age groups. Although they do seem to have alot of 'hen and stags' here, everyone was well behaved and I dont think this is a problem. Cardiff does attract alot of these groups anyway. It was about a 10/15 minute walk into town but taxis were easily ordered by reception. Parking was expensive but right outside the door and parking in Cardiff is at a premium so this is to be expected, however £9.00 for 24 hours in the hotels own park I think is alot. All in all a good hotel and I would return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay.

I am pleased that your party had and enjoyable time and that you found the Novotel Cardiff Centre convenient for your celebrations. I am also pleased that you found the rooms comfortable, breakfast 'excellent' and a 'lovely' pool.

I hope that we can accomodate you again whether it be a hen party, family visit or for business.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a good quality hotel,very good spa facilities,but the down side is that it was full of small children,this hotel allows children to stay free and to eat free,our room was very nice but was woken up early with crying babies and banging doors also the breakfast room was vey noisy and very messy,I asked atbthe desk if the hotel had a quite area away from family rooms but they don't .we had a great stay but it's not suitable if you are looking for a quite restfull stay,the staff I found very pleasant and helpful,especially those in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Ask if younger byna family room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lesly7

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that overall you had a good stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre. During half-term, we do experience a higher number of families that stay with us and i'm sorry that this was a disturbance for you.

I hope that should you choose to stay with us again and perhaps outside of school holidays, you will be able to have a more pleasurable experience.