“You get what you pay for”
Review of Bunk House

and 1 more site!
Bunk House
Ranked #29 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Cardiff
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night in the largest, 25 bed male dorm. The beds are comfortable and clean, as are the bathrooms. Though, 2 showers and 2 toilets for 25 people is a bit of a stretch so plan effectively. The staff were clear that breakfast was basic; just cereal, toast, tea and coffee but that's fine. You have to give a £5 deposit for the key card that's cash, so don't forget that! The big detractor is its convenience in the city centre. It seems a lot of the guests are here to party, and as such are not hostel savvy on things like lights-out times, respecting others, etc. if you stay here, be aware of that.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 25, 2014

From the first minute we arrived the staff were very rude and not very helpful.

Arrival - Treated Very Badly

On Arrival we were greeted by a very rude gentlemen on reception who asked for our group leader to approach the desk and the rest of the group to wait outside on the street in the rain, we politely declined. The receptionist carried on being rude and was very unhelpful.

We were told immediately after checking in that if we made a noise or caused any problems we would be removed within 90 seconds and no refund would be given. I am all for being courteous with regards to other guests but we were treated like yobs from the first minute.

Room - Basic which is what we expected

Really poor bathrooms, not really adequate we had 2 Showers, 2 Toilets, and 2 Hand basins between 20 people. One of the shower doors was broken and the cold water tap on one of the hand basins was not working so you could only wash with scalding hot water. We reported the shower door to reception and got the impression that he was not bothered, he did send someone to fix it though, it was removed. With no door on the shower all that happened was that the bathroom became a swimming pool with water everywhere.

Security on the door of an evening were very rude and I think they were looking for trouble.

Room Tip: Room 8 has an Occupancy of 25 people but only has 2 Showers, 2 Toilets, 2 Hand Basins.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bren R
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Good location and The facilities are not too bad but the staff are awkward arrogant and definately aren't there to help! Won't be staying here again and definately not recommending it to friends! Shower was broken and didn't get fixed, windows wouldn't open!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JimTaylor201089
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Loses points immediately for a few reasons.
1) Only having wifi in the bar area. Thankfully, the place was practically deserted during my stay, because I can't imagine anything more unappealing than having to sit in the middle of a busy bar just to check my Facebook or attempt to Skype home.
2) When I arrived, I was told I couldn't check in until 2, which is pretty standard, but there was nowhere to store my bag while I waited. When was finally allowed in to my room, nothing had been cleaned, and the bed hadn't been made.

Other than that, it's a bare-bones, budget hostel. Rooms and bathrooms are clean enough to not contract anything, although they have those god-awful showers that require you to press the button every 10 seconds to maintain water pressure, and they offer a laundry service for a few pounds, which is convenient.

Location-wise, it's smack-bang in the center of town, but a solid 15/20 minute walk from Cardiff bay.

Also, the staff are pretty rude/standoffish, but that seems to be a recurring trend in Cardiff.

In summary, it's a bed and a roof over your head with a pretty bar at the bottom. Could do worse.

Room Tip: The second-tier of the bunk beds is nearly impossible to get in and out of. Would definitely recomme...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

The Bunk House hostel is well located in the heart of Cardiff, approximately two minutes walk from both Millennium Stadium and Cardiff Castle.
The rooms are basic as is the breakfast but there was nothing unpleasant about my stay.
Recommended if you're on a budget and want somewhere to stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank As2k10
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

While this definitely wasn't my worst hostel stay, I didn't exactly enjoy it either. The staff when we checked in was disinterested and a bit rude, and the hallway to the rooms smelled like sewage. Thankfully this didn't extend into the rooms. The beds were pre made for us and smelt freshly laundered, so I trusted that it was safe, although my bed was camped and I couldn't even sit up halfway. I rolled out of bed whenever I wanted to get up because I couldn't figure out a better way to do so. The bathroom was fine enough except that the door was almost impossible to close, the sinks didn't have a good level of water pressure, and it didn't have any ventilation so if it stunk, it would stink until the staff cleaned it. I didn't use the shower but my friend did and she had trouble continually pushing the button fir more water in the shower. Our room was well heated but lacking enough outlets for me, but we didn't have any problems finding a place to charge our phones because it was an off weekend and the place was almost deserted. We tried renting a laptop from the front desk because we saw a sign that mentioned they were available but they weren't, so we borrowed an iPad instead. One of the bouncers helped us out with that and he was friendlier than all the rest of the staff combined, while being very efficient.

Overall it was a decent hostel but it wasn't anything special and it had its flaws.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Great hostel right in the centre of town. The main lounge room/bar was really cool looking with it's random vintage pieces. The staff when we found them were very friendly and helpfull. The rooms were clean and comfy. Half the stalls in the bathroom were out of order but it didn't become a problem. The breakfast was typical continental although it would have been nice if they had juice as well as coffee and tea.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends