“Reviews Ive read on here are ridiculous!”
Review of Bunk House

Bunk House
Ranked #27 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Cardiff
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Reviews Ive read on here are ridiculous!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I think everyone that has written on here were expecting some lavish hotel... its a hostel you get what you pay for and I personally thought the staff were helpful... the drinks were very cheap and it was cosy and the rooms were clean and even cleaned while we were out.... and beds... what do you expect for 20 a night?! come on! would deffo come back here again as perfect central location, Expect a bed for the night and a cup of tea and slice of toast in the morning...

Room Tip: Rooms are very large we stayed in the girls dorm VERY nice.
1 Thank Emma R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The beds are squeaky metal bunkbeds a bit crowded but i slept fine (shouldnt be a big surprise based on their name). If you book early by far the cheapest in the area. The commons are super cozy, fine place to meet fellow travellers or the occasional local. Right in the center of town.

Oh and it may not always be the case but the music playing on the PA in the commons was always amazing, like really surprising how often I said "this is my favorite song" or I had to ask who the artist was to look them up.

• Stayed June 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Ive just got a job in Cardiff City Center and have to work late on Saturday and Sunday, as I haven't got a car and rely on public transport I thought it would be a good idea to book into a hostel. I been to bunkhouse a few times for pre-drinks and thought it wouldnt be such a bad idea.

Upon arrival I was asked by the man checking me in if I was dancing next door (next door is a strip club) After realizing his mistake and social retardedness, he offered to change to me an all girls room ( which I did appreciate).

The shower door were broken and hanging off and the water only ran for 15 seconds before you had to press the button again. Girls were then coming in at 4/5/6 in the morning drunk and being sick ( which is to be expected) but I wish they had a room for people who weren't on a night out.

Overall it was fine, except for the inappropriate observations and girls being sick in the early hours.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Arrived mid afternoon, 2 hours before the rest of my group arrived, went to check in and pay for my bed but was told by the arrogant bouncer (host/barman/manager) I'd have to pay for all of our groups beds (over £300) as I can't just pay for one.( I've never had this in any hotel/hostel/B&B/Lodge before, absolutely ridiculous). So instead of being able to relax in bed I have booked I had wait in the bar on a 'quirky, trendy' picnic bench, (still can't feel my backside) Once the group arrived we paid for our beds (took a lifetime to sort out). Then get told that he wants to search our bags for alcohol, (nowhere I have ever stayed before does this). We're not 17 years for gods sake.

Rooms were 'adequate' at best, doubt anyone over 5' could get to the 3rd bunk up though. The most disturbing thing was the lack of showers and toilets. 1 shower 3 toilets on the whole floor. All sinks don't fit the taps and just spray everywhere so floors are soaking. I just hope it was just water not anything else...,, Why have key card access to them if the main door has a key card access too???

Overall experience was pretty poor, we were a group of friends on a just a weekend away but this place was like Fort Knox with the 'bouncers' and key cards during day and night, inside and out. Not made any better than by the arrogant male members of staff.

The only plus was that's its on the high street, easy to find and that I have stayed in worse hostels before (just a shame they were in sticks of Malaysia and cost £1.50 per night not £30

Room Tip: The bed in the bar is more comfortable than the ones in the dorms.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Staff at the bar where rude couldn't even talk in the bar area told to keep it down bags searched by Alan Carr lookalike out of 10 I give it a 1 for the captain Morgan bouncer on the dest was not a bit nice a friend asked for tea at 9.01am breakfast stopped at 9.00am

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank lightsoutsmith31
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The reason for the terrible service is the fact the doorman acting as temporarily receptionist has a terrible attitude problem! Regarding the ban on having no food upstairs, having not stopped any of the others in our group, he searched our bags! Ridiculously unnecessary and made us not want to spend any more money in the bar!Not enough showers for a room of 15 but location very good.

• Stayed May 2013
Ohio to Middle East
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great location to central Cardiff and a nice bar downstairs, but that's all this place has going for it. Staff were extremely unhelpful and unfriendly. When we complained that the room was cold at night (it must have been about 5°) we were told to "get used to the British summer". When we asked about car parking we were told, "I don't know I don't have a car." Not nearly enough showers or toilets for the number of people staying there. Beds are uncomfortable. I have a fairly low bar for hostels but this place -- in particular the useless and surly staff -- fell below that. There must be a better place to stay in Cardiff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends