“A decent hostel in a great location”
Review of Bunk House

Bunk House
Ranked #30 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Cardiff
Reviewed February 1, 2012

A stripper recommended I reviewed this place because she said people shouldn't just use this site to moan about horrible experiences. Suffice to say I didn't have a horrible experience in this hostel. The staff didn't look thrilled to see a group of 15 guys on a stag do turn up but that is expected. Our rooms were very clean as were the bathrooms. But the best thing about this place is the location, it is bang in the centre of town with great access to bars and pubs. Didn't get up in time for breakfast. Only problem was that the room was cold at night and they don't let you take booze into the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Booked the 16-bed dorm based on price, usually avoid this! Spread our belongings over some free beds then headed out to the bars. I got back before my two friends to find a drunk guy in one of the beds we saved, so hopped in the bed above. When my friends got back at 4am, there was obviously an extra person in the room and I suspected the drunk guy! Went down to the front desk and the security guy came and kicked him out, it turned out he had a key card, but to a different room. Got the bedding changed but then discovered he had also wet the bed, gross!! Since it was after 4am and didn't want to deal with it anymore, ended up squeezing 2 of us into one bunk, so not a great sleep. At check out I asked for a refund but was told I would have to ring the manager the next day, which I did, to be told they would ring me back. They didn't so called again the next day, and spoke to the ACTUAL manager, who knew what I was on about and immediately offered the refund, back onto the card we booked with which took only a few days.
So...happy with the service in the end, despite it taking a while to sort out I wasn't going to pay for a bed we couldn't use!
Breakfast was included, good so long as you like toast, cornflakes and tea, and a scrum to get it, but hey, at least it was cheap.
Good fun atmosphere here also.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2011

As I've never stayed at a hostel before, I can only go on what people had told me to expect. The place was very nice, with the staff being very friendly, including letting my friend charge her camera on his computer. They have security at night. Breakfast is from 7-9 and you cannot be late as it will be put away. It's not great (tea, toast with jam, coffee, & cereal) but it gets you going. To get into the actual rooms area, as well as your individual rooms, you have to have a card key so that made it feel extra secure. The rooms/bathrooms were not terribly clean and yes, a lot of the windows did not open so it got plenty warm during the night. They don't charge for the lockers - you just need to provide your own lock. They had 1 computer you could borrow but someone broke it while we were there so who knows the status of it. A couple of us tried to get internet on our phones & ipads but it was very on and off. Overall, I would stay here again, especially given the location and the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Layla T
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Hostel is in a great location. However, from there the value of it goes downhill. Staff not as friendly or approachable as at other hostels in the UK. Saw the back of reception desk today and they have at least 25 cameras on view 24 hours of all the spaces in the hostel. Not sure if washrooms have cameras too. Felt very invasive! Washrooms are clean, however, sinks are so tiny that water splashes all over your legs when using them. Press faucets in all sinks and even in showers that last 15 seconds only. The automatic sensor lights in the washrooms go off every 8-10 minutes, which means if you are in the middle of performing, you are thrown into complete darkness and have to make your way out the washroom door to wave at the sensor for the light. Very Inconvenient! Also, windows don't open in rooms, so it gets very hot, stuffy and smelly. No kitchen, or fridge or even faucet to get a drink of water. All the food I had brought over from my last hostel was stuck under my bed. Worst Hostel I have stayed at among the last 10 visited recently. Do not recommend, except as maybe a drunk tank, where you just sleep off the night's excess and nothing more.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank B B
Reviewed August 1, 2011

As soon as we arrived I was surprised how beautiful the place was on the inside, the common room on the ground floor was decorated in a quirky style with the added little surprise of candles about the place. The staff were organised and friendly.
Only downside to this place is the amount of stairs, with luggage its not fun but bearable!
The room was small but we had lockers and enough space for our bags, the room did become stuffy as it was difficult to open the window. I stayed in a 6 dorm mixed room and found myself meeting some lovely people. The rooms and bathrooms were very very clean and the beds were incredibly comfortable: so pleased after a day of walking around Cardiff or a night at the local to have such a comfortable bed :)
One tip: make sure you get downstairs for breakfast on time! don't be a second late as it'll be taken away!!
Apart from that I would definitely stay there again: good value, I felt safe with special cards for each door, amazing bar downstairs, great location as its right in the middle and just a good experience overall!

Room Tip: Go for a smaller dorm, same sex or mixed!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank loveable_taylor
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Stayed here for one night with a friend after seeing Take That at the Millennium Stadium. Quick check-in, downstairs area quirky & nicely decorated. Room 4 had a total of 18 beds, clean linen & again nicely decorated. Ensuite of 2 toilets, 2 showers & 2 sinks, all clean & no complaints. Slight mix up with bed allocation but all sorted out by reception. Breakfast was quite basic but a welcome inclusion in the reasonable price. Overall, a unique little place, excellently located with friendly & helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Griffindale
Reviewed June 2, 2011

The hostel is clean and has a nice common room, but be warned to take one of the mixed 6 bed dorms (well, actually we could book a 6 bed room but it turned that it is a 7 bed dorm fully occuppied!). The dorm is so stuffed with beds that there is no space to walk and put two suitcases next to each other - horrible. I think it would be ok to make it a 5 bed dorm, but of course you earn more money by adding two beds. You can not open the window in the room - so you can imagine the air after one night with 7 people in such a small room. I heard that female dorms are somewhat bigger:

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends