“Good Value”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“Good Value”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Have eaten here on many occasions. The food is always of a very good quality and good sized portions,it is certainly worth the money. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to curries so always opt for pistachino chicken which is mild and always delicious.My husband is the spicy one and has tried quite a few different ones and has not been dissapointed. We have always found the staff to be efficient and polite.The fact that you can take your own alcohol is a bonus especially when we have taken the family,making it more affordable when you dont have to pay for hiked up prices for alcohol.Because of its location and pricing(in the heart of studentland) it would probably not be suitable for those wanting a fine dining, romantic and exclusive experience, hence the negative reviews that some people have given. We will continue to return.

“Simply poor”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The main meal was served to us nearly 2 hours after we ordered!!! By which point we were all starving! The food was average, it didn't taste any different to Indian food I buy in the local supermarket. I expect more when I go to a restuarant. Also the staff had quite a common, blase attitude to customer service, using terms such as 'cheers guys' 'alright mate' which I myself dont like when I am in a restaurant, I have been to other Indian restaurants whereby the custome service has been professional and to a very high standard. Not so here.

Also the music was way too loud for a restaurant ! We couldn't hear ourselves speak! It's not meant to be a bar! Overall I would not recommend this place at all, there are many better places to eat in Cardiff.

• Visited September 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great food, great value and great hospitality”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I visited this restaurant 24/8/12 and the fact that we travelled from the other side of Cardiff says it all. We have been here many times over the past few years and feel it’s time to leave a review. We have both eaten at many other and much more expensive Indian restaurants but time and time again we still rate the Kasturi overall as the best experience taking into account the price, food quality, service and that you can take your own alcohol and no extra cost. Thumbs up from Stephanie and Lewis.

South Wales
“Is this your kind of Indian restaurant?”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Visited 31/9/12, Friday evening. Attracted by very good reviews and a recommendation from a fried, plus the prices in these cash strapped times, also the chance to avoid mark ups on alcohol. Not that we were going wild here.
Our impressions;
This is a minimalist, contemporary restaurant with very dimmed lighting.
It was very noisy from 7.30-9.00 p.m. with an almost entirely young clientele, (we couldnt carry out a conversation at close range), young geeky post grads. from Cardiff Uni. and groups of younger professional workers. The undergrads are not in town yet. These people are gone early mercifully, rendering the place fairly empty and quiet.
There is no alcohol licence, you can freely bring your own drink but there is nothing provided other than a glass. Dont ask for an ice bucket or corkscrew. They tell me its a formula that works for them. They dont have to deal with the alcohol (touch it, sell it, serve it etc which perhaps falls neatly in line with Islam) or pay for heftily priced LA licences to serve alcohol, the customer can bring in their cheap booze ---it seems a win win situation.
The prices are extremely reasonable, putting it within the budget of students for an occasional treat.
The food - its very hit and miss. Perhaps the maxim is keep your order simple, go for trusted old favourites that you would normally order elsewhere, some of the lesser known dishes are weird.
I had a grilled chicken dish cooked with capsicum, shallots, spinach and cardomom which was quite gross but sounded tempting on the menu. Under the lights it was luminescent bluey green - powdered spinach, I was told - and heavily coloured. I found it inedible and said so. The waiter offered to have it replaced. The lamb passanda I ordered as a starter did not taste too bad - but looked very unappetising, pale yellow with bits, like..... I'll spare you the details, poorly presented!
The tandoori king prawns ordered by my husband were very highly coloured. He did however make a good inroad into his main course but his verdict was..its just OK.
We had a lot of food over which we asked to take away, in common with other tables.

This place is not for exalting over. It didnt rock our boat. Its not physically uncomfortable but not ambient. Service is well paced. The food is bountiful, the prices very cheap, the ingredients are not skimped on but the quality is not there. Perhaps you get what you are paying for.

My advice : if you are over 40yrs looking for a romantic venue, a quite Friday night catch up a meal with your like minded middle aged friends and your wallet will stretch a little further...this place will not do...it could be your downfall! Go elsewhere!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great food, great value”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We dined here recently and were surprised at both the value for money and the quality of the food. £9.95 for 5 courses and bring your own booze!!! The food was excellent - quite possibly the best kohlapuri (sp?) I've ever had. The service was also very efficent and friendly. We will definitely be back- my mouth is watering just thinking about this place!

• Visited July 2012