“A good afternoon but sadly for us torrential rain !”
Review of Brit Movie Tours

and up
'Doctor Who' TV Locations Tour of Cardiff
Ranked #23 of 45 Tours in Cardiff
More attraction details
Owner description: Bus and walking tours of filming locations in Cardiff including Amy Pond’s village, Coal Hill School, Cardiff Castle, Cardiff Bay and much more.
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were combining the tour with a trip to the experience the following day so we were having a really immersive Dr.Who couple of days. The tour starts with half an hour walking through central Cardiff city , visiting film locations for Dr. Who, unfortunately for us we did this is the worst torrential rain storm in weeks which put a bit of a dampener on it, nobodies fault obviously but still was a bit wet. The guide Matt is a Dr.Who nut ( don't think he'd mind that description), he's appeared in several episodes and met most of the cast and writers, even from how he describes these meetings he obviously comes across as an obsessive fan, but they seem to tolerate him with good humour. He knows a lot about the dear doctor and has many behind the scenes tales to tell, so he makes a good choice for a tour guide. Now the tour is good but be warned its four + hours and a lot of its on foot, no food/drink breaks, one toilet stop, this isn't for the inferm, elderly or totally exhausted, you need to be fit and you won't enjoy it unless your a serious whovian, we did enjoy it but it was a shame we picked the wettest day going, I imagine on a lovely sunny day it would be great and the bit in St.Fagins was really good , love to go back there. Enjoy and give Matt ( who could be a stand in for Captain jack Harkness ) our love.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I really didn't think about going to Cardiff as a vacation spot - and when I told people I was doing it (largely for) this tour & other Doctor Who stuff - they mostly thought I was really an obsessive fan & weird... but it does not matter because the tour was awesome. We saw spots from some of my favorite episodes too - like Human Nature, Runaway Bride, Turn Left, Vincent & The Doctor, Family of Blood, Rose, and more. One particular building was used many times & was very cool to see in real life. This was the museum where Amelia Pond walked in to find the TARDIS with Amy Pond inside of it & also in the episode with Lady Christina (jewel thief). You actually see the sculpted dome ceiling that she descended from inside. We went to the old village / park in Cardiff that had scenes from Human Nature. We even saw where they filmed one of my favorite scenes ever - the family of blood scene where the little boy grew up & was an old man with all his war metals & then the camera pans over & the doctor and Martha are both standing there (not having aged of course).

The tour guide has a book of shots from all the scenes and he shows you the show & what you're looking at. He also plays scenes in the van (which has very good AC - thank you! I paid 3x the price in Scotland for tours without such good AC). There are people of all ages on the tour - from little kids to their parents, just FYI.

It's also interesting to see what things were fake or props - like how the BBC adds little things to make it look like london (but sometimes forgets minor details & you can still see cardiff signs if you look closely enough). The tour guide has also been in some of the shows as a walk-on, so he'll tell you about that too which is interesting.

Anyone who is a fan of Doctor who should do this...and particularly if you are a huge fan - it is worth the trip - wherever you are from. I got the sense some people on the bus had no clue about these episodes (when I was freaking out about being in the Human Nature town - the guy next to me on the bus just kind of smiled and nodded..and he called Rose's 1st season estate "dodgy" - not excited to be where she discovered what bad wolf was!) I suppose some people are local and just looking for something to do – or maybe their kids watch. So, you may not find your fellow cult followers here…just to set expectations.

Of course we go to the bay and see the lift that goes down into Torchwood & also the "regular" entrance with all the "bring back Ianto" posters still on the wall. The Millennium center served as the hospital in one of the episodes (with the cat people) and also the one where Amy aged in the "two streams facility". So, anyway, that's just a bit of it - it's hard to believe you're there when you've seen it on tv so many times...and these are real places just touched up w/ a little BBC magic. It's not like a tour of MGM or studio lots... it's so much cooler that it's real...The "Turn Left" street where Donna's family was sent was almost creepy in its realness. I took a picture of that street that essentially looks like I took a picture of my TV screen (except for the cars).

Also in a funny way, this tour is accidentally better than the hop on - hop off bus tour in cardiff...you see more. He mentioned a handful of Cardiff-related things, but not in extensive detail (it's not a Cardiff tour)...but when I did the hop-on-hop-off tour later, I remembered a lot of what was said already.

Long story short: Do it – especially if you are a Doctor who fan!

2  Thank Inverary09
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

PLEASE NOTE THIS REVIEW IS BASED ON THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND BOOKING ASPECTS OF BRITMOVIETOURS.COM, NOT THE ACTUAL TOUR ITSELF.

After planning our holiday to Cardiff, I thought what doctor who things can we do there? After being really disappointed that the Doctor Who experience would be open 2 weeks after we were down, I was pleasantly pleased to find that there was a Doctor Who tour instead, only to disappointed again to find out it was fully booked.
I phoned up Brit movie tours hotline just to make sure it was full which it was.
We were staying near Cardiff anyway on the day of the tour so thought, why don't we go along on the off chance that spaces will become available? (when trying to book the tickets online, there was still 2 spaces available.)
We arrived at the place and time advertised to find only one other couple there that had booked their tickets in January and had come to Cardiff from Scotland especially for the tour.
12:30 came and went with no sign of the tour guide or bus.
The guy then phoned up the number on his ticket to be told that the tour had been cancelled due to lack of people. This is what annoyed me as when I tried to book, it was full!! How could there be under the minimum amount of people if it was full online (which is the only way to get tickets!!)
Apparently they were thinking about sending a tour guide out for us but it wouldn't be the tour as advertised which is what the other couple wanted.
There was no phone call or anything to this other couple to say that it had been cancelled.
Very disappointed with the customer service and booking.

2  Thank mona39
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Whilst visiting from Australia we drove all the way from London just to do the tour, and are glad we did. Great way to see Cardiff, and also great for Who fans. Very friendly guide (Matt) who is very knowledgable about the show.

Glad we went. Although if you are driving, avoid the West Gate car park at all costs!

1  Thank Watch_Doc
Reviewed May 29, 2012

By hopping onto a Cardiff Tour bus you can visit all the sites this magnificent city has to offer. The castle right in the city centre down to the waterfront at Cardiff Bay. If you want to jump off you can and jump back on again when you have visited that attraction (or even one of the many bars and restaurants that Cardiff has to offer).