“More than a special treat.”
Review of Cafe Citta

Cafe Citta
Ranked #7 of 1,289 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just spent a wonderful weekend with my son in Cardiff. His decision to book us a table in this quaint restaurant proved to be a master stroke. The food was excellent, and was delivered by a caring staff that treated each customer as an individual.
What a bonus to find a superb establishment in the centre of a vibrant city. To make the night complete, the bill was far from excessive, when one considers the quality experience, and its location.

Vince O

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My partner (who comes from an italian family!) is vegan, and I am vegetarian and avoid milk products due to allergies, so it was fantastic to find a real Italian restaurant, let one that has items on it's menu that don't require them to be absolutely covered in cheese! We came with another couple, I had the marinara pizza, with added grilled aubergine, and it was probably the best pizza I have ever eaten. It is honestly lovely to find a restaurant that is so confident in their red sauce that they don't need to cover it in cheese! My partner had the aglio e olio with added spinach, and it was packed full of flavour. Our friends had the pollo pizza and the carbonara.

It's an adorable little restaurant, wherein you don't feel rushed to get in and out so they can have the table back! You're not rushed to pay the bill, and you're not rushed to eat your food. The staff were incredibly friendly and I suggest anybody passing through or staying in Cardiff to book in and get something to eat at this wonderful restaurant!

1  Thank sheryl a
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We came on a recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed. The food and drink is very reasonable and they were more than happy to adapt any dish on the menu as everything is cooked to order. The staff are very friendly. We had a garlic pizza and the biggest green olives whilst we decided what to order. We felt that we were not rushed all evening. Would definietly recommend.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We've been waiting some time to visit Cafe Citta and finally came up with the excuse of a combined wedding anniversay/Valentine's Day celebration. We visited Northern Italy in September 2012 and have found Anglo/Italian food to be somewhat lacking since, no such problems in Cafe Citta however!

We made a reservation for the Saturday evening earlier in the week and if you're planning on visiting then a booking is absolutely essential. I was made aware at the time of booking that our 7pm table would be needed back at 8:30pm, it was refreshing for a restaurant to be so open in their booking policy (not only because you know where you stand, but those who might be planning a longer meal have the information "up front") and thanks to the prompt service 90 minutes was ample time for a relaxed and romantic meal.

When you enter Cafe Citta it becomes immediately apparent why they need to turn the tables, the premises are petite (or should it be piccolo?) but very clean and welcoming. It had the feel of some of the smaller osterias we visited in Italy, very friendly and family orientated, with views straight through to the tiny and efficient kitchen at the back of the room. We were asked to wait a couple of moments by the door for our table to be prepared and after around 5 minutes we were seated at a table for 2 at the front of the restaurant. Menus were presented, wine was selected (Montepulciano - £14), specials were explained and food was ordered.

To start I had the "Polenta con Dolcelatte" and my wife had an aubergine, tomato and cheese dish (the name of which escapes me), both arrived in a very respectable time, obviously freshly prepared and oven-cooked (no wattage here!). The food was perfectly seasoned and portions were good, we certainly had our money's worth (most starters were £5 or below) but had room left for the main event...

We both fancied pizza, good pizza (pastas and pizzas were generally under £10, some mains fell in the £10-£15 range). I selected the "Diavola", a spicy peppered sausage, bell pepper and chilli topping and my wife went with the "Dolcelatte con Fungi", a creamy blue cheese and mushroom topping. We elected to go half and half (why not!?) and both pizzas were perfection; delicious hand-made bases; fresh, quality ingredients and a nice crunchy, crispy edge. Our dining experience was rounded off with a macchiato and an espresso, each accompanied with a cigarillo.

In conclusion, book and go, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Been three times now. Definitely book as its very small (if perfectly formed). You can watch the chef throwing pizza up in the air which is always fun to watch and given its not a high ceiling there is a sense of jeopardy!
The food is excellent, fresh and little things like side salads are very very tasty. I had a cheese bacon and broad bean take on bruschetta off the specials which was out of this world.
Wine is decent and service is good, helpful but not fussy I.e. you aren't constantly being asked if everything's OK while your mouth is full.
Only downsides are how small it is as its a touch cramped when busy, you'd have to be a fuss pot for that to bother you tho. Also the loos are odd and you have to go out of the restaurant and almost into another building to get to them. Minor points tho.