“Central Location, own transport not needed”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We booked the hotel via an on line hotel search site as we were going to see a local show and needed a room for three adults, these are very few and far between. Anyhow I managed to get a three bedded room for the night for £99 which when split 3 ways wasn't bad. The hotel is literally 5 minutes walk from the railway and bus station and is in one of the main streets, so a car is not needed. The small entrance looks a bit strange as you have to navigate a few steps then take the lift up to the reception but once inside it is fine. The young lady on reception was welcoming and efficient. We were pleasantly surprised by the room as we thought it would be cramped but not at all it was very roomy with 3 very comfortable single beds, a sofa and large television. It was quite modern, clean and tidy. The bathroom was also very roomy with nice hot water, towels for each of us and some nice free toiletries to use. In a cupboard was tea, coffee and hot chocolate and nice biscuits. The windows in the room were very small and had a restricted view so you were unable to see out of them (but that didn't bother us). We didn't eat in the hotel, as we had a meal out before the show but we did come back and have cocktails in the comfortable private bar afterwards. The staff mostly seemed very pleasant. Although the hotel is in the main street with some busy pubs nearby it was quiet. I would recommend the hotel for a short stay and would book it again. There isn't a swimming pool or gym though.

Room Tip: If you require a quiet room away from the front of the hotel then ask for one and also if you want a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank natureangel2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Arrived in Cardiff without anywhere to stay, and after orientating myself found this great hotel right in the centre of everywhere I wanted to be. Lovely room, with a great view, and excellent staff, always willing to help. Great bar and atmosphere in the evening as well.

Would definitely look to come here again when next in Cardiff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GreyWelshWolf
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Fab room good location for city and very reasonable price but having to park in an ncp carpark not very close to hotel really let it down and we wouldn't do this again. Next time we'll look for a hotel with parking

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KF300036
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have recently spent a weekend here and as mentioned in other reviews it is in a perfect spot. The staff were friendly and made the stay more enjoyable, they obviously liked working here. We cannot fault the breakfast, being well cooked and quickly presented by a pleasant waitress. An evening drink in the Bar was a pleasure as well with the cheery staff.
The room, although not big, is adequate and clean, but as we stayed during a heatwave it would have been nice to be able to open a window, we tried all 3 windows to no avail, there is air con but ours refused to go cooler than 19*C it did produce a breeze to keep the air moving. If we were staying longer there is the loan of an electric fan available to all residents. Definitely stay here again if the occasion arises.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location, with it being near to the train and bus station, the city centre and many of the attractions. The room was a nice size, though the window could have been slightly bigger and let more light in and the bed was very comfortable. The only thing that stops me from giving this hotel a 5, is the wi-fi on the 4th floor is fairly bad. The staff did their best by putting a router in the room, but still no luck.Overall I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed for one night on a business trip, combined with seeing some family. I checked in quite late and was lucky enough to get a free upgrade. The room was great, very spacious and very clean, and the free bottle of wine was a nice addition! The staff were very friendly and incredibly helpful. I realised I had forgotten my charger and toothbrush so I called reception and they sent one up within 5 minutes.

Breakfast was the usual hotel spread - lots choice, with fresh juices, pastries, toast, cereal etc and a hot breakfast menu - I went for the pancakes which went down very well with the constant supply of coffee.

Great location is you are in Cardiff for sight seeing, a very short walk from Central Station. It is above a bar but I couldn't hear any noise at night. It was quite warm when I visited, maybe 25, and a lot of other reviews mention poor air con but I didn't have any problems.

Would definitely recommend it and if I was going back to Cardiff I'd stay again. PS. if you enter the Welsh word for welcome -Croeso (I'd check the spelling!) you get 10% off.

Room Tip: Check in late and you're more likely to get a free upgrade!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It's a beautiful hotel outside, in ideal location in the centre of Cardiff, near to many poins of interest and close to the bus station. The stuff was very kind, and the breakfast good. The rooms are small, but comfortable and clean. It is a good choice in Cardiff but very expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends