“2 night stay experience”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights only. Booked it because of the good offer, £120 for 2 nights, excl food. Not sure if we would book this place for the full price though. They offer full breakfast for a bit over than £11 per person(a bit expensive in my opinion). The room was nice and clean, the hotel looks nice and modern inside too. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The good point about the hotel is that you dont hear any noise from the busy street. If you want it to be really quiet you should request a room on the higher floor. Regarding parking, the hotel doesnt offer free parking although they do cooperate with the car park nearby. Npc car park on the Wood street. Its only £10 per 24 hours( other car parks £25 per 24hours)You need to let the reception know that u parked there and they will sort everything out. This car park is only 2 min walk from the hotel. To sum up, nice hotel, great location. Would recommend it!

1  Thank Anya5566
Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Royal for a Saturday night out. The hotel is in a great location for the Cardiff night life and shopping. The rooms are of a good size and are clean and tidy. The bathroom was a little dark but clean. Check in/ out staff were polite and efficient. There's a relaxing bar with very friendly staff. I would highly recommend the royal and will stay there again on my next visit to Cardiff!!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Hotel for one night. The room was quite small and very noisy due to the room facing the street. The price definitely reflect the location but for the price we paid, I would have expected to be able to wash my hair!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I booked The Royal Hotel in Cardiff through Laterooms.com the night before my stay, on a £59.95 midweek deal. I found later that if you book direct with the hotel using the code "croeso", you can get 10% off this price, so that's one to bear in mind, as I would be happy to use this hotel again.

The hotel was only a few minutes walk from Cardiff Central station and was easy to find. The entrance is a bit strange as the reception is on the second floor and you have to go down some stairs to get the lift that goes to the second floor. I did notice a ground level entrance for wheelchair users on the same level as the lift at the back of the hotel. I enjoyed the designer feel of the purple upholstered seating in reception.

I received a warm Welsh welcome at reception and was allocated a standard double room on the 4th floor, overlooking the main street. The hotel calls itself a "bespoke" hotel. The definition of this is "made according to the specifications of an individual". I didn't really capture the essence of bespoke compared with other hotels I've experienced, in terms of service, décor or facilities, so I'm not sure what the unique selling point really is. The room was furnished with modern black and red lacquer-style dressing table and bedside cupboards, plenty of storage space, in addition to the built in wardrobe, inside which was also a tea and coffee making area, a hair dryer and a safe. There was a lovely deep headboard on the bed, luxurious pillows/cushion, one easy chair and a desk chair, flat screen TV and I believe free internet, although I didn't use it. The natural wood bedroom floor gave it a starker, designer feel, not as luxurious as a carpet, but I can see that it would be easier to keep clean, and it felt warm to walk on in bare feet. The lighting in the room was good, and I liked the touch-activated beside lamps.

The en suite had a large shower instead of a bath (which I prefer anyway) and for the first time in a long line of hotel experiences, a shower door that stopped water escaping onto the floor, and a bathroom mirror that didn't steam up. There were complimentary BeeKind (Gilchrist & Soames) soap, shampoo and shower gel. Whilst G&S state they do not test their products on animals, they avoid saying that their ingredients are not tested by them or anyone else (with a fixed cut-off date) and I note that G&S are owned by a company that also owns the largest bleach manufacturer in Canada and Northern USA, so I am rather wary of their cruelty-free credentials. I therefore prefer to use my own toiletries. I would have liked a small shelf in the shower area on which to place my products.

I didn't have dinner in the hotel as I found the amazing shopping mall, which is only a short walk through an arcade opposite the hotel. I shopped until 8pm and fell into one of the mall restaurants for dinner. I had a pretty good night's sleep; the hotel couldn't do much about rowdy, drunken young people in the street below, but it wasn't too annoying.

For breakfast, I chose a continental breakfast for £9 (he cooked breakfast was £12). Plenty to choose from and nicely displayed, including some tasty Danish pastries and croissants. The restaurant staff were polite and attentive.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay very much. Thank you to the staff that made the difference with their happy demeanours.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Nicely decorated room but a bit small.Bed was good, bathroom was fine. Whole room was clean and pleasant.
Didn't eat there so can't comment on the food.
Location-wise it's right in the city centre and very handy for the main bus and train stations.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel is very close to Cardiff railway/bus station. We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel overnight on a dinner bed and breakfast basis booked via the hotel website although booking in time is 3pm we asked if we could leave our overnight bag whilst we went shopping we were greeted with a smile and informed this was no problem and given a receipt for our bag. When we returned we had a swift check in and asked if we required an evening meal in the hotel or a restaurant which was approx 100m away we choose the hotel and the receptionist gave us times of evening meals and breakfast info. The service for the evening meal was again first class the meals were excellent portion size huge and drinks very reasonably priced. Our room was on the 4th floor at the back of the hotel which was decorated in a boutique style as was the rest of the hotel we had tea and coffee making facilities, trouser press large LCD television, well equipped bathroom with large fluffy towels shower gel and shampoo and above all very comfy beds a must for a good nights sleep. Breakfast was served in the main hotel restaurant and the service and choice of food was amazing I do not know the name of the gentleman who served us but he was very informative/friendly and an asset to the hotel as are the rest of the staff and go that extra mile to make your stay special. Left our overnight bag at the hotel again whilst we did a spot of more shopping. I would like to add that the special touch of a birthday card in the room from all the staff at the royal hotel was much appreciated. Will definitely book this hotel and can highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The girlfriend & I stayed here over the May bank holiday weekend from Sunday to Monday. I wasn't optimistic when I first saw the hotel sandwiched between a large O'neills & reflex club. On arrival the staff were brilliant. Fast & efficient. The room was immaculate. The breakfast excellent & my fear of the location was soon dismissed as you could hear a pin drop in our room. No noise at all even from the high street antics as it was Cardiff city promotion celebrations! 10/10 I can't emphasis enough how enjoyable our stay was. I wouldn't even contemplate finding anywhere else. The location, food & service was top.