“Okay for a budget hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Campanile Hotel Cardiff

Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #42 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Okay for a budget hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

If you're after a comfortable, clean budget hotel and don't need to worry about soundproofing then this is ok. Stayed on the first floor facing the motorway, even with the window closed you could still hear a bit of noise, but it was acceptable. You could also hear plumbing/ water pipes from other rooms which was irritating when you're trying to rest.
The landing light wasn't working so you had to be careful going up/down stairs.
Reception v pleasant.
TV had more channels than some other budget/mid end hotels I've used.
Handwash and and shower gel provided and paraben free so good for sensitive skin.
Decent pillows and duvet.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Viv790
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Viv790,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay, here at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I am happy to read that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. I apologise for the landing light not working. This has not been rectified.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Arrived late - staff had taken the trouble to call & warn me that reception closed an hour earlier than the website said, but said that someone would be happy to wait for me if I would be later than that. As it happened I got there with plenty of time to spare, but it was nice to know they were thinking ahead.
Rooms are in a separate two-storey block across the car park from reception, each with their own front door. The area is well lit so it felt quite secure walking across, and the curtains in the room blocked out the light from the room when it was time to sleep.
The room was basic, a little dated but clean and well equipped. The bed was huge and comfortable. There was only one towel in the bathroom, but a notice explained that there were spare towels, pillows and blankets in the wardrobe. The bath was rather small but so am I - and the shower was hot and powerful, which suited me just fine.
The heating was an electric radiator - worked perfectly well, but there was no air-conditioning - this is a budget hotel after all. There was a large TV (which I didn't use), tea & coffee, free wifi which was easy to use, and ample power sockets for me to use my laptop and charge my phone. A socket beside the bed for the phone would have been handy as I use it as an alarm clock but I am just being picky now.
I didn't try breakfast so can't comment.
The car park which is on a fairly steep slope - driving through the gate was a bit startling as the road bends and drops away quite sharply. I parked in front of reception, and the spaces there are on quite a slope, although the spaces further along were much more level. To be fair, the site is on the side of a hill and there isn't much that could be done about the slope. It's a really minor point but it might be a challenge for anyone with mobility issues, and I wouldn't have fancied it on an icy morning.
All in all, this is a great little place, superb value for £29 on a Saturday night, and I would be happy to return as long as there was no snow!

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw had steps - if you have mobility issues it would probably be worth checking wit...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Janey H
Dear Janey H,

That you for your detailed and extremely positive review. I am happy that you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay and we hope welcome you again to the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff in the future.
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was not expecting luxurious accommodation because the price was very reasonable but I was very impressed by
The size of bed,
General facilities in our room (e.g. Tea and coffee, Kettle, Hairdryer, Complimentary toiletries, TV Heating, etc).
Spacious bathroom and everything was available, working & clean i.e
Hot shower, Sink, Commode, Mirror, Towels, Walls/Tiles etc.

Staff were very keen to help us and gave advice on good local restaurants and public transport etc.
The hotel is actually in a great location as it is quite near to M4 and 2-minutes walk from Waitrose.

I would definitely recommend this to any travelers looking for budget, clean and friendly accommodation!

Two bad points:-
Felt springs of the bed on one side.
Bath tub was of small size.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Usman D
Dear Usman D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive comments. I am happy that you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you again to the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff in the future.
Claremont, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Nothing special, but reasonably comfortable. Room was spacious enough and clean, but quite cold. Never could get the heating to work fully and I was quite cold all night. Free wifi was good. I didn't have the breakfast (not included) so can't comment on that. Note that the hotel is quite far from Cardiff Central station (expensive by taxi) but apparently there is a bus near the hotel that would get you to the train station for cheap.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DRBTravels
Dear DRBTravels,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel room cold at night. All heaters are fully functioning in the rooms and spare blankets are also provided. We also have a limited number of portable heaters available, should a guest require it. We are about 5 miles away from the train station and taxis cost about £12.00. There is a bus service costing just £1.70.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Cheap , cheerful and welcoming! A lot of bigger hotels could take a lesson from this place! Although under no misconceptions this was a budget hotel , the room, facilities and staff were all more than adequate!The staff were cheerful and helpful for my entire stay , despite being full up!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barb7267
Dear Barb7267,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive comments regarding your stay at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I am happy to read that you found the staff to be cheerful and helpful and I will of course pass on these comments. We hope to welcome you to the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff in the future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I books this hotel over the internet for a weekend shopping trip and paid in advance. On arrival I was asked for my credit card to swipe for identification purposes. As I have been asked for this before I thought nothing of it until I asked for the receipt. I was then informed that it was not their policy to give a receipt and they could not issue one. I was assured that no charge would be made against my card but There was no way they would give me any proof that it has been 'swiped'. They would not even allow me to photograph their copy with my mobile!. I can think of no reason for this except intended fraud so I remained insistent. 3 quarters of an hour later after getting the manager out of bed and calling the police, I finally got my receipt. I suspect that this had more to do with my taking a photograph of the receptionist so that I would have some evidence for later than anything else. I will be checking my statements very carefully for many months to come now.

On going to a local pub to eat the following night I was informed that they were aware of several people who found unexpected charges on their bill after similar experiences. So BE VERY CAREFUL.

That said the room was of an acceptable standard for a cheap motel: fairly basic but clean, tidy and everything worked. After my row at check in We did not feel like eating at the hotel so I cannot comment on the food.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank neil c
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Neil C

Thank you for your comments left regarding your stay here at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. It is standard policy when making a booking through a third party for the hotel to pre-authorise the guests card as security. Your card was pre-authorised for £1.00. This £1.00 was not taken from your account as it was not a transaction it was a pre-authorisation done for verification purposes. We do not give a copy of the pre-authorisation to the guest as it is not a sale transaction. It is a very serious accusation to write that reason my receptionist did not give you a copy due to intended fraud. As you said that you will be carefully checking your bank statements for many months to come, you will have seen that no money has been taken from your account?.

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have eaten at this place several times as it is very close to my work place when I am down in Cardiff. The food here on the whole is not bad and the service is very prompt. However I'm actually finding this place very difficult to write a constructive review, and that is very unusual for me. I have never stayed here in the hotel part, so it would be totally wrong for me to comment on that side. Looking at other reviews on this place it maybe worth while giving it a go. Good Luck with this one....................

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Travellerclass
Dear Travellerclass,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding our restaurant. We hope to welcome you to our restaurant again in the future.