“Welcomes dogs”

Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #56 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights at short notice to go to a family funeral and had to take our dog.
Extra charge of £5 per night but no other hassle.
Room big enough to fit the dog crate in and the room opened onto a grassed area, making walking her easy.
The cost of drinks and food in the bar very reasonable but the menu is limited.
The restaurant had run out of pain au raisin when we arrived for breakfast and the cook kindly made some more.
Would def. stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cindyjack
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Cindyjack,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are happy to accommodate people with pets and as you mention just a £5 charge per pet per night.
Our menu has just changed and I am sure that when you stay next time that you will find we now have lots of choice.
Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for the weekend. Its approx 20 minutes outside Cardiff city. Cabs in and out ranged from £15 to £35. The hotel is located inside an industrial estate with little or nothing of any interest around it. Rooms are extremely basic and somewhat dirty. Hotel reception was fine however dont eat in the "restaurant". Food is horrendous and I would have to question the chefs credentials(is he really qualified). On the final morning of my stay I decided to have the breakfast and while eating the breakfast rats were walking past the windows outside. Seriously I would avoid this place if at all possible.

Room Tip: Dont stay in this place. This is the only tip I can provide.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Eric B, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Shane O,
Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our hotel is located in the suburbs of Cardiff around 5 miles from the city centre. Our hotel is not located on an industrial estate it is on a street with a few office buildings and there is a residential area around the hotel. It seems you chose us without doing any research on the location as if you wanted things of interest near the hotel you were staying at you would have chosen one in the city centre. With regards to the price of a taxi, they usually cost between £12 and £15 one way. I have never heard of any taxi company charging £35 from the hotel to the city centre. For this price you can take a taxi to the airport. However, as a hotel we cannot be responsible for the cost of taxis. All our rooms are ensuite and have tea and coffee making facilities, 22” LCD television, hair dryer and free WiFi. However, we are a budget hotel and maybe we do not offer the facilities that you wanted.
I was very surprised when I read your comments regarding our food and beverage department. I have spoken to the manager that was on duty at the weekend and no-one complained regarding the quality of the breakfast or questioned whether the chef was qualified to cook a Breakfast or a Dinner. We actually had a lot of people complimenting us on the breakfast that weekend as we do on a daily basis. Regarding your comments that the food is horrendous, you make no mention that you had eaten in the restaurant for dinner. For you to make a comment like this and to question the qualifications of our chef, I am sure you must have eaten in the evening, as how would it be possible to make these comments with regards to a cooked breakfast. Once again no comments regarding the quality of food were mentioned to the Duty Manager over the weekend. If the food was horrendous I have to question why you want to eat breakfast on the Sunday morning or maybe you are making your judgements on the breakfast only. My main concern is that you say that there was rodent activity outside the restaurant when you were eating your breakfast. Firstly, I am sure that anyone that saw “rats walking past the windows” would immediately report this to the Duty Manager and not continue to eat their breakfast without making any comments at all. You are the only person to mention this to us and I wonder what you are trying to achieve. I would like to assure all guests, past, current and present we do not have a rodent problem at the hotel. Pest Control has checked the site and found no evidence to back up Shane O’s comments.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is an old motel miles from the city centre and very basic. Once you are comfortable with that then it's fine - staff were extremely friendly and the breakfast was very good. There is a bus stop just outside the industrial estate with a bus every 20 minutes to the city centre so that meant not having to wait for, or pay for, taxis. Perfectly acceptable location for groups going to matches in Cardiff for example. We paid 100 pounds per night for a twin room (which turned out to be a double!!) but this did not include breakfast.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm that you are booking a twin or a double and, for some added security, ask for...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank drdryan
Eric B, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Drdryan,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read we met with your expectations. May I just correct you in your review, when you identify us as a motel. We are a hotel in the budget sector offering a full service including free WiFi, restaurant and bar. I will pass your positive comments to my team with regards to the customer service provided and the quality of breakfast. Good customer service is very important to us and our breakfast is cooked to order by our breakfast chef and not displayed on a hot buffet to ensure freshness.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

This is very badly located its nearly like its n a industrial estate. Taxi costs at least 13 pounds to town. It is not a hotel it's like a motel. There has to be better. Staff were friendly and helpfull. Bar expensive. I do not recommend

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Snowdover

Dear Snodover,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback after your recent stay, I am sorry to read that you only judge our hotel on the location and classify us as a motel instead of a hotel.
It would be more beneficial to future guests if you shared the positive aspects of your stay.

As a “Senior” reviewer I am surprised that before you made your booking with us you didn’t do a minimum amount of research on the location, standards and services offered. I will correct you when you classify the location of our Hotel on an Industrial estate. Our hotel is on a street with a few office buildings and there is a residential area around the hotel.
Our hotel is located about 10 minutes by taxi from the city centre but there is also an option to take public transport with a bus stop located 200 yards from the hotel.
Pictures of the hotel are displayed on the most popular reservation websites showing the configuration of our hotel but I would like to make a point that by not having the reception building attached to the accommodation this does not make us a motel.
As a Hotel our Bar tariff is slightly more expensive than a local pub and we are not affiliated to a brewery and it’s not our main activity it’s just one of the service we provide.
I would like to thank you regarding your positive comments regarding my team and I will pass these comments on to them.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

£75.00 what a rip off! Stayed last night 1.02.2013. The room was cold with a very strange smell, The toilet was dirty, only two towels, as there was two of us you would expect an extra hand towel. The bed don't get me started about the bed. Taxi £16.50 into town, I think the staff must be on commision with the taxi firm. We woke at 6.20am due to the fact that everytime someone else ran a tap it sounded in our room. We never stayed for breakfast we couldn't wait to get out of the room from hell. I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone. If I could I would try to get my money back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric B, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Sunnyview493,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback after your recent stay,

With regards to our price strategy we offer competitive and similar rates to the other hotels in the area. During event weekends in Cardiff, the rates are higher than normal in all hotels.

Regarding your comments about the heating and the toilet these could have been easily rectified or alternative accommodation offered if it had been brought to the attention of the Duty Manager.

The rooms are checked by both housekeeping and maintenance on a regular basis and nothing has been reported regarding the heating. You may be interested to know that all our bedrooms are checked prior to being released for occupation by our Head Housekeeper and the heating is part of this check. If any defect is found this is either fixed by maintenance immediately or logged if the fault is found later in the day and fixed the following day or the room blocked out of service.

The towel provision in the rooms is to offer two bath towels and no hand towels. This was a decision made by our Head Office in order to reduce our carbon emissions and play our part in saving the environment and this is standard throughout our network of hotels. We recognise that each guest has different requirements and therefore ensure we have extra hand & bath towels at reception and offered when requested.

The local taxi firm charge around £12 from the hotel to the city centre and we provide a Freephone number at the reception and also we have their phone number advertised on our room keys for guests to avoid to use black cabs which are more expensive. We don’t get any commission as you mentioned in your review, this is a service we provide to our guests.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

the bed was ok.

thats the one redeeming quality.

when i booked i was informed the taxi to town was £3.50, in reality it was over £7.

the tv didn't work and the best bit, by a country mile was that we were told, quite categorically that check out was at 1pm. at 12.02 our room telephone was called and we were informed that we would have to pay for another night.

the manager must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed as he simply looked down at his nose and refused to discuss the situation.

since then I have had to visit cardiff a number of times and have found alternatives else where. I would never consider sleeping here, and would advise all others to find other accommodation.

Room Tip: bring a tent and sleep on a roundabout. that would be a much better idea.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Devinephotography,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback regarding your stay in March 2012.
I am pleased to read that you had enjoyed a good night’s sleep which is one of our top priorities. With regards to bad reception of the television, during the period of your stay we did have a small problem which has now been resolved.
Our check out time is 12:00 noon and this is clearly displayed in reception and in the rooms. It is the role of the duty manager to check that all guests have departed their rooms at 12pm or to extend their stay if this is required. Taxi’s cost between £12 and £15 to the city centre but public transport costs just £3.50. All our staff are aware of the cost of taxi’s and public transport and also the check out time, so I am surprised to hear that you say you were told incorrect information. I am also surprised to find that you have written your review nearly one year after your stay. The hotel has undergone many changes in the last year and I feel that your review is not reflective of the product we offer.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just got back from staying at the Campanile Hotel... Its more like a Motel... The room was basic, but clean, lovely and warm and it had everything we needed for our one night stay... Everywhere in Cardiff was fully booked so was grateful to be able to get in somewhere... ;o)
We ordered a taxi from reception which arrived prompty and cost 11.00 to the centre of town... Our double room cost 49.00 which included a help yourself continental breakfast, which was very good indeed... 10/10... for an extra 2.75 a full english breakfast could be added... ;o) No problems at all... The staff were very nice, helpful and friendly...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kim C
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will most definitely feed this information back to all the team.We always endeavour to offer the best possible rates whenever we can. We realise that people have differing budgets and a huge market to choose from so try to keep our prices as competitive as possible for the market that we operate in.
Glad to hear that you were impressed with our services and overall facilities like our Breakfast offer and free phone service for taxi notably, just to remember we provide free WiFi and free car park on site and regular public transport (every 7/8 min) short walking distance from the hotel.

Please do contact us directly when next in Cardiff area and looking for accommodation, I will always ensure you get our best rate going.